Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] phone not being recognized at ALL as usb? (cm11)

OP emaayan

18th January 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

123 posts
hi..

after installing cm11 it would appear my phone is not being recognized as usb device at all? neither as usb mass storage device or as mtp , i does charge the phone, but that's it.

i've enabled MTP in usb comptuer connection, and tried to connect it to 2 different computers.
6th March 2014, 01:29 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 243

263 posts
More
Hmmm. I haven't seen an answer to this question posted yet. Emaayan, did you ever get a resolution to this? I actually have run into this twice in the past, and the answer is to shut the phone down, and do a battery pull to reset the hardware completely. Had me scratching my head for months, and even had me develop a way to do a full unroot and return to stock without ever touching USB or terminal, until I took the battery out of my fiancee's phone since we were planning on returning it, and using it on what would've been her backup phone. When I returned the battery to it, the USB worked again. It's not a CM issue, or a software issue at all. It's definitely a Samsung not-initializing things properly issue. I've seen it happen on stock, I've seen it happen in the old 4.3.1 FatToads, and the 4.4.X FatToads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Magamo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #3  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 166

488 posts
More
Let me know if the above works (battery pull).

I had this issue too, didn't realize it until I tried updating different roms...

I put on Carbon after OmniRom ... OmniRom was overheating my phone and battery and it was at that time I actually pulled it apart and wrapped it in a gel ice pack to cool it down.

I don't recall if Carbon had worked, but I'm back on CM11 now and am getting USB working.

I also updated to the latest CWM per OmniRom thread in development forum.

I trust Magamo, though, in providing the right diagnosis and solution.
8th March 2014, 02:33 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Oroville
Thanks Meter: 4,760

2,755 posts
Donate to Me
More
mod please delete
Last edited by REV3NT3CH; 8th March 2014 at 05:58 AM.
8th March 2014, 05:37 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 243

263 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV3NT3CH

i believe OmniRom caused my phone to brick...flashed it to see the issue people were having to help with a fix....apparently lbcoder is breaking stuff again lol...when i get either a new relay somehow or fix mine..i may look in their code to see what it is...im almost assuring its how MTP is not being handled correctly.... i respect @Magamo and most the other devs.. but all i can do is suggest a fix and get disrespected by lbcoder

Edit: like this for example https://github.com/TeamApexQ/android...95e16dfcb3dee8

OmniRom was not the cause of your bricking, I hate to break it to you. The commit you just linked actually has very little to do with the kernel. It was an update to fstab to match a change in paths. There was no driver functionality change in anything that was dependant upon. If you respect me, I would appreciate it if you were to stop spreading FUD about us, and my work. I'm starting to become personally insulted here. Bricks more often happen due to faulty hardware. No properly booting kernel would have been the cause of what happened to you. I assure you, our kernel is working properly.

This is also completely off topic to the question asked. As stated, I've personally seen this happen on several images, Stock included. This particular issue is a Samsung hardware initialisation issue, and is resolved by a battery pull.

Since it is off topic for this question, I will not ask here what you feel is wrong with our MTP code. We can start another thread, and stop hijacking this one. Better yet, as always, the best place to discuss this with us would be on IRC.
Last edited by Magamo; 8th March 2014 at 05:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Magamo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2014, 01:22 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Surprisingly, pulling the battery fixed the problem!
After spending the last few days without my phone being recognized by multiple computers and considering a factory reset on a Samsung Galaxy Relay, I came across the post here mentioning that pulling the battery worked to fix the problem with phones not being recognized through USB.

I can vouch that pulling the battery does fix the problem with devices not being recognized.

Perhaps these devices should have a more convenient way to pull the battery if doing so makes them work properly.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm11, mtp, usb
Previous Thread Next Thread