Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,054 Members 40,766 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][CM] Get The Most Out of Your Battery

Tip us?

InfiniteCaffeine
Old
(Last edited by InfiniteCaffeine; 4th March 2014 at 07:19 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113

DONATE TO ME
Default [GUIDE][CM] Get The Most Out of Your Battery

This is my all inclusive guide on how to get the most out of your battery without sacrificing functionality. Specially tailored for the i747.

WARNING: I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR PHONE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

!!!NANDROID BACKUP!!!

This guide assumes that you're running Cyanogenmod 11 or a custom ROM based on it. It is organized from most practical and user friendly, to more technical and intensive.

The first manner of business is to upload to the latest bootloader/modem, which can be found here: http://invisiblek.org/d2firmware.html

This provides the most stability/support for the latest CM Nightlies.

Simply download the .zip and flash it in your recovery of choice.

Go into "Settings" > "Apps" and delete any apps you don't use anymore.

Go into all apps you DO use, and make sure "Location" and "Notification" settings are either OFF or on according to if you need them or not.

Disable "syncing" in weather apps, news apps, and any other apps that have background syncing enabled.

Disable "WiFi" when not in use.
Disable "Data" when not in use.
Disable "Location" when not in use. (THIS INCLUDES LOCATION REPORTING.)
Disable "Bluetooth" when not in use.
Disable "NFC" when not in use.
Disable "Automatic Backlight"
Manually set brightness to lowest setting.
Set Screen Timeout to 1 minute or less.
Disable "Sync" when not necessary.
Disable "Auto Rotation" when not necessary.
Disable all haptic/sound feedback under "Sound."
Go into "WiFi" settings, press your menu key, and press "Advanced." Be sure that "Scanning always available" is unchecked.

CHARGE YOUR PHONE WHENEVER POSSIBLE.

Download "Greenify" from the Play Store, open it up, and start hibernating every app you don't depend on. DO NOT HIBERNATE MESSAGING APPS.
I personally hibernated every non-system app I had excluding "Google Keyboard."

You have a special feature called "App Ops under your "Privacy" settings.

Press "Privacy Guard." You'll be presented with a list of apps. These apps can be "secured" with a click. Simply press and app you don't want accessing your location settings, and the little grey lock to the right of the app will become white. This will disable the app from using location services.

Third, open up your apps list under Settings > Apps > "All" tab. Cyanogenmod has many apps that the typical user doesn't want/need, and that take up precious RAM and CPU cycles.

You can disable system apps by clicking on them, and then "Disable."

Apps that can be safely disabled include:

Android Keyboard REPLACE WITH GOOGLE KEYBOARD
Android Live Wallpapers
Basic Daydreams
Black Hole
Browser REPLACE WITH CHROME BETA
Bubbles
CM Updater
CM Wallpapers
com.android.wallpaper.holospiral
Downloads
Email Up to you.
Exchange Services Safe to disable only if you disable Email
Face Unlock
Gallery REPLACE WITH QUICKPIC
Google Backup Transport ONLY IF YOU DON'T USE GOOGLE BACKUP
Google One Time Init
Google Partner Setup
Google Text-to-speech Engine AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION
Magic Smoke Wallpapers
Market Feedback Agent DISABLES... MARKET FEEDBACK...
Movie Studio
Music Visualization Wallpapers
Phase Beam
Photo Screensavers
Pico TTS - AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION
Setup Wizard
Tags - ???
Terminal Emulator
Themes provider STUCK W/ DEFAULT THEME
Voice Dialer

I have disabled all of these apps and had no ill consequence. I haven't gone as far as uninstalling them, but you may if you wish.

Download KT's latest kernel from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1756776

Flash in recovery. Be sure to wipe Cache and Dalvik before and after!

WHAT YOU DECIDE TO DO WITH THIS KERNEL IS UP TO YOU. YMMV.

Open KTweaker app.

Set governor to "pegasusq" - This is a more conservative governor, and also allows hotplugging.

Undervolt CPU by 75 mV across the board. - YMMV.

Undervolt GPU by 50 mV across the board. - YMMV.

Set GPU Governor to "simple."

Set "Set options on boot" to set with a 20 second delay. (In case something goes awry.)

Reboot.

ETC. TIPS:

- Get any widgets you don't use off your Launcher. They eat battery too.

- Don't use custom launchers with riced out animations. This tears up your GPU, and your battery life will suffer as a result.

- Turn off "Mock Location" in Developer Options.

- DO NOT USE TASK KILLERS!!!

- Disable "Automatic home clock" in the stock "Clock" app.

- Use ART!

- Turn off roaming!

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I'll update this if I remember anything. Let me know if this has helped you at all. Feel free to add any tips as you see fit.

Give me a thanks if I've helped you out!
i747
MJB
CyanogenMod 11
KT747
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InfiniteCaffeine For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

InfiniteCaffeine
Old
(Last edited by InfiniteCaffeine; 27th February 2014 at 07:04 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113

DONATE TO ME
Pretty good if I say so myself.

Never disabled LTE.

i747
MJB
CyanogenMod 11
KT747
The Following User Says Thank You to InfiniteCaffeine For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

InfiniteCaffeine
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113

DONATE TO ME
Reserved.
i747
MJB
CyanogenMod 11
KT747

xFallacy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
how to get the most out of your battery without sacrificing functionality
But the tips are all about disabling services?

I kid, this is a pretty neat start for people experiencing battery issues. I generally recommend also getting a new battery - the Ankers 2200mAh one is legit.

InfiniteCaffeine
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFallacy View Post
But the tips are all about disabling services?

I kid, this is a pretty neat start for people experiencing battery issues. I generally recommend also getting a new battery - the Ankers 2200mAh one is legit.
Yeeeah. I wrote the title before I got started haha. They're all optional, of course. Not many people will miss having a random app in their RAM (Greenify solution.) Or disabling location reporting (I hate location reporting.) Or even undervolting, or getting rid of random CRapps.

I did have that Anker battery, but it bloated on me. It was nice while it lasted, though. (About 3 months.)

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
i747
MJB
CyanogenMod 11
KT747

xFallacy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJantu View Post
Yeeeah. I wrote the title before I got started haha. They're all optional, of course. Not many people will miss having a random app in their RAM (Greenify solution.) Or disabling location reporting (I hate location reporting.) Or even undervolting, or getting rid of random CRapps.

I did have that Anker battery, but it bloated on me. It was nice while it lasted, though. (About 3 months.)

Mine has lasted 6 months so far, strange. I replaced the stock battery after it stopped holding a charge within the first 8 months of ownership.

Also, on the topic of Greenify, when I used to have it, I found it was draining almost as much battery as the things it was hibernating, since it spent every waking moment shutting the other things off. Have you found that to be the case at all?

InfiniteCaffeine
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Mine has lasted 6 months so far, strange. I replaced the stock battery after it stopped holding a charge within the first 8 months of ownership.

Also, on the topic of Greenify, when I used to have it, I found it was draining almost as much battery as the things it was hibernating, since it spent every waking moment shutting the other things off. Have you found that to be the case at all?
My case may have been user error. It isn't rated to take as quick a charge as the stock battery. I was using a 1A 5V power box. I believe it called for a .7A 5V current.

I have; in the case of my keyboard, and Facebook, as well as Google Play services back when I tried out making it a user app. I got rid of the Facebook app and use the mobile site. It works just as well.

i747
MJB
CyanogenMod 11
KT747

xFallacy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
My case may have been user error. It isn't rated to take as quick a charge as the stock battery. I was using a 1A 5V power box. I believe it called for a .7A 5V current.

I have; in the case of my keyboard, and Facebook, as well as Google Play services back when I tried out making it a user app. I got rid of the Facebook app and use the mobile site. It works just as well.

I don't have FBApp notifications on, ever. I used it mostly for the interface and the seamless photo upload via Wi-Fi.

But since I started using Quantum, the battery has been significantly better. If the Facebook app becomes stupid enough with the battery, however, might just follow your lead there.

InfiniteCaffeine
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I don't have FBApp notifications on, ever. I used it mostly for the interface and the seamless photo upload via Wi-Fi.

But since I started using Quantum, the battery has been significantly better. If the Facebook app becomes stupid enough with the battery, however, might just follow your lead there.
The problem isn't the notifications, it's the services that the app has that run, even if you have notifications, sync, and background services turned off. I hated it.

I used to use Quantum, back when CM 11 didn't have official nightlies. Great ROM and Dev; not bleeding edge enough for me, though.

i747
MJB
CyanogenMod 11
KT747

xFallacy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
The problem isn't the notifications, it's the services that the app has that run, even if you have notifications, sync, and background services turned off. I hated it.

I used to use Quantum, back when CM 11 didn't have official nightlies. Great ROM and Dev; not bleeding edge enough for me, though.

That's fair, I just started using it last week, because PA3.99 was crapping out in all kinds of fun ways, and I didn't feel like using SlimKat again. I'm trying out ART now, to see how that affects my battery.

Tags
battery, cyanogenmod, guide, info, tip