Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,939 Members 50,034 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Buying a used Photon Q for international use, what do I need to know?

Tip us?

nullstring2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] Buying a used Photon Q for international use, what do I need to know?

I am planning on purchasing the Photon Q for use in japan and then later permanent use on Ting service.
  1. What UMTS bands does photon q support. My understanding is docomo uses UMTS Band 1.
  2. Photon Q is already unlocked for international use. I should just be able to (a) Put in docomo sim card (b) Change apn; and I should be all set right? I'll be use a data plan only on UMTS Band 1
  3. If I install CM10.2, do I need to be careful about which rom I install? It appears there is one for CDMA and one for GSM. Will the one for CDMA work for international GSM use?

Other more general items:
  1. It seems that motorola allows you to unlock the bootloader without a hack, is that correct? so I just need to follow the steps here and I should be all set? http://www.droid-life.com/2012/08/20...-q-bootloader/ + http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2262001
  2. It appears that CM10.2 is stable and CM11 is on the way.
  3. Is there a recommended replacement battery?

arrrghhh
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,483

DONATE TO ME
Battery is not "user-replaceable".

Also, you realize the SIM is not either? You'll need to hardware 'hack' the device a bit. See this thread.

As for your band questions, not sure.

CM11 is pretty stable, although there hasn't been a milestone release - the nightlies are solid. They are also building now under a unified device, moto_msm8960. No need to worry about GSM/CDMA builds anymore.

You are correct on the bootloader, it's officially unlocked from Motorola. I do not believe they have changed their stance on this subject.
The Following User Says Thank You to arrrghhh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nullstring2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Oh gosh, the sprint sim card isn't replaceable? that's a deal breaker..
Is the Morotola Photon (Non-Q) the same way?

arrrghhh
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,483

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullstring2 View Post
Oh gosh, the sprint sim card isn't replaceable? that's a deal breaker..
Is the Morotola Photon (Non-Q) the same way?
No clue, that's a completely different device / class of device.

nullstring2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
No clue, that's a completely different device / class of device.
Looks like the Motorola Photon sim card is replacable.

Thank you arrghhh. I appreciate the feedback. Glad I asked before purchasing one.

rbeavers
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Don't

Photon Q &/or Note 3 on ting.com
Screwed by Google. Canceled ICS upgrade on my Moto Photon 4G. and No Update for Photon Q for Kit Kat.

Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE - CM 11.0 M8 - On ting.com - only Pay for what you GET.
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Kit Kat, Stock rooted, twrp recovery. "too new for ting"
Nexus 7 2012 Kit Kat, Stock rooted, twrp recovery.

Retired, Kids Toys, Gave Away &/or Bricked; HTC G1, Samsung Moment, 2 Photon 4G's, Samsung Nexus S 4G, Kindle Fire.