Angry SwiftKey X privacy concerns?

OP AndriodLover

28th May 2011, 02:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35

253 posts
More
I installed SwiftKey X and it is a amazing, it's ability to predict text is mind blowing. but around 30mins later. I removed it due to privacy concerns. Should I of been concerned about privacy?

Edit: Can a developer have a look at the codes and see what it's been sent back from the advice to the server
Last edited by AndriodLover; 28th May 2011 at 04:10 PM.
28th May 2011, 04:06 PM   |  #2  
St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 5

152 posts
More
Probably not... I also have Swiftkey X. The Swiftkey company is trustworthy but hey, better safe than sorry.
28th May 2011, 04:09 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 21

1,130 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndriodLover

I installed SwiftKey X and it is a amazing, it's ability to predict text is mind blowing. but around 30mins later. I removed it due to privacy concerns. Should I of been concerned about privacy?

could you tell us some more about it? what kind of privacy you're talking about? is swift key sending out your details? texts? accounts?
28th May 2011, 04:20 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

253 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cez10

could you tell us some more about it? what kind of privacy you're talking about? is swift key sending out your details? texts? accounts?

First for best performances it needs access to your facebook, Twitter, gmail accounts. Second, why does a keyboard needs a services running in background at all times ? that can be sending data back to the server.
Third, Have a look at the privacy details http://www.swiftkey.net/privacy.
Last edited by AndriodLover; 29th May 2011 at 06:09 PM.
29th May 2011, 05:10 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Flag Utrecht
Thanks Meter: 803

4,085 posts
Quote:

First for best performances it needs access to your facebook, Twitter, gmail accounts. Second, why does a keyboard needs a server running in background at all times ? that can be sending data back to the server.

Oef... where's the limit. It's like typing in Bentham's Panopticon.
29th May 2011, 06:14 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

253 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelflap

Oef... where's the limit. It's like typing in Bentham's Panopticon.

??
29th May 2011, 06:56 PM   |  #7  
Flag Lenexa
Thanks Meter: 1

33 posts
More
Quote:

First for best performances it needs access to your facebook, Twitter, gmail accounts. Second, why does a keyboard needs a services running in background at all times ? that can be sending data back to the server.

"In relation to our Apps such as SwiftKey, learned language data generated and stored on your computing devices, such as mobile phones and tablets, is never accessed by, or transmitted to us unless you wish to use additional features or services which would require the use of such data. Where we offer any additional services or facilities that do require use of data which might include personal information, such as server-based personalized services, then we will always seek your consent to the use of such data before providing such services or facilities."
The Following User Says Thank You to jworley02 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st June 2011, 05:27 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 4

5 posts
Hey - just to weigh in quickly here. I'm the CMO of TouchType, the company that makes SwiftKey. We take user privacy very serious and don't ever process any of the data stored on your phone, as explained in our privacy policy.

When you choose to use our personalization services, this data is handled securely and without access to any of your password data. We only use your data to provide you with better predictions, though a language module that is generated and pushed to your phone.

There is really nothing to worry about here.

Thanks guys,

Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeBeats For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th June 2011, 04:29 AM   |  #9  
Flag Tallahassee, FL
Thanks Meter: 29

745 posts
More
Thanks for posting, that's good to know. Might I say that I've been using the keyboard for a few days and it's definitely getting better.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App
4th June 2011, 04:41 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

37 posts
haha privacy concerns? whaaaat

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread