Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,807 Members 53,157 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Symlink: Some Symlinks failed

Tip us?

Davidion
Old
(Last edited by Davidion; 21st August 2012 at 08:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default Symlink: Some Symlinks failed

Can anyone advise how one would go about fixing the S3's internal partition tables? I believe I need to flash someone else's table?

Help!

Some context:

I've been having this issue where my S3 runs into a symlink failure/Status 7 error whenever I try to flash a Jelly Bean rom, ie. CM10/PA/Jellybro. This occurred despite me having the latest 5.8.4.7. CWM, wiped and reformatted EVERYTHING, etc. I posted a sample of where the recovery error log shows the flashing processes failing here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=302

Lots of XDA member offered advice with no avail. I remember one member mentioned something about partition tables, so I dug a little deeper. I noticed that the error log also contained error messages about missing directories and my sd-ext not mounting, which is strange since I can access my external sdcard under /mnt/extsdcard directory, and the two directory names aren't matching. So I downloaded an partition table app and saw the following:

http://imgur.com/6r4Vo

Basically, it looks like my partition tables are somehow corrupted and my sdcard and external SD is being mounted for use, but somehow...incorrectly. I'm thinking this is the likely culprit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Davidion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5210

DONATE TO ME
What was the app you ran to get that? And what rom were you running when you took that screenshot?

You said its happening when you try to flash jellybean. Do you have any problems with cm9, or stock?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Davidion
Old
(Last edited by Davidion; 19th August 2012 at 08:00 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
What was the app you ran to get that? And what rom were you running when you took that screenshot?

You said its happening when you try to flash jellybean. Do you have any problems with cm9, or stock?

I ran this app called partition table.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...GFydGl0aW9uIl0.

Oy, I missed the reviews where people are saying that this returns bogus info.

Anyways, here's the situation with what I could/could not flash
-Could not flash CM10/ParanoidA/Jellybro/one other ICS rom that I couldn't think of
-COULD flash CM9, as well as restore nandroid backup of older redrum stripped stock (which is what I ran this off of)
-Tried to flash from CWM/TWRP, neither worked

Back to the partition table, even though that app may be malfunctioning, there were still lines in the recovery error log that indicated that the loader was trying to access /sd-ext, when the external SD in my CWM is displayed as /external_sd. Also, it was trying to reference, edit, and delete from non-existent sources, which seems to indicate that these instructions are being misdirected. If this sounds like another error, I'm all ears.

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5210

DONATE TO ME
Well, that is an odd problem! If stock based and other roms flash and run normally, I seriously doubt it'll be a partition related problem. While in cwm recovery, in mounts and storage did you check to make sure your sd was mounted? I may be wrong but I seem to remember some had problems with it correctly recognizing the external sd. In twrp there should be an option just above the slider to use either internal or external.
Sounds like its a problem more with your recovery to me. Try downloading goo.im from play store and use that to install the latest twrp recovery.
If that doesn't work the only other thing I can think to try is to apply the FULL latest update from samsung, UVALH I believe. Install using kies and I think it will rewrite the whole system to pure stock. You will have to reroot, but its definately worth trying before messing with the partitions. If you do that, use goo.im to reinstall twrp and give it a go again.
If I think of anything else to try ill let you know but for now that's the best I can think of.

Just to be sure what model phone do you have? T999, T999V, i9300?

The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Davidion
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Well, that is an odd problem! If stock based and other roms flash and run normally, I seriously doubt it'll be a partition related problem. While in cwm recovery, in mounts and storage did you check to make sure your sd was mounted? I may be wrong but I seem to remember some had problems with it correctly recognizing the external sd. In twrp there should be an option just above the slider to use either internal or external.
Sounds like its a problem more with your recovery to me. Try downloading goo.im from play store and use that to install the latest twrp recovery.
If that doesn't work the only other thing I can think to try is to apply the FULL latest update from samsung, UVALH I believe. Install using kies and I think it will rewrite the whole system to pure stock. You will have to reroot, but its definately worth trying before messing with the partitions. If you do that, use goo.im to reinstall twrp and give it a go again.
If I think of anything else to try ill let you know but for now that's the best I can think of.

Just to be sure what model phone do you have? T999, T999V, i9300?

I'm on the T999, T-Mobile.

To your question I've tried TWRP and CWM and neither works. The external SD cards were mounted in recovery during my attempts. I've actually tried using an earlier version of CWM to flash directly from the external SD card, to the exact same results.

I'll try the Samsung update; my hope is that it also provides a partition refresh. It is indeed a unique problem!

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5210

DONATE TO ME
Its the best thing I can think of, so hope it fixes everything. If it is a corrupt partition it should rewrite it, so lets hope!
One other thing, what version of twrp were you using? 2.2.1.1 is the latest for our phone. I think there's an older unofficial one out there and even though it would say the sd was mounted, you would have to go into the backup section and look at available space to confirm that. There were also problems with the touch cwm recovery...
I think the way the gs3 handles the sdcard is part of the problem with those though.
Anyway, good luck! Let me know how it goes!

Davidion
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Its the best thing I can think of, so hope it fixes everything. If it is a corrupt partition it should rewrite it, so lets hope!
One other thing, what version of twrp were you using? 2.2.1.1 is the latest for our phone. I think there's an older unofficial one out there and even though it would say the sd was mounted, you would have to go into the backup section and look at available space to confirm that. There were also problems with the touch cwm recovery...
I think the way the gs3 handles the sdcard is part of the problem with those though.
Anyway, good luck! Let me know how it goes!

TWRP didn't work and neither did flashing the new Samsung update.

I'm absolutely baffled at this point. I can't find what the hell are causing these symlink errors anywhere.

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5210

DONATE TO ME
Sorry I don't have any other ideas. Just to be sure though, did you flash the rooted rom, or use kies or odin to install the update directly from samsung?

Actually, one or two more ideas, though I wouldn't expect much at this point.
You could try using odin to reflash the original shipped version....you never know.
Or
Go into the updater-script and wherever it tries to use /sd-ext, change it to /external_sd, or whatever your error log says its looking for.
Definately ask another dev if its worth trying before doing that!
You may want to examine what is happening with any simlinks in there as well. Unfortunately Im probably not the best person to troubleshoot that stuff. But if you want to attach a copy of your logfile ill be glad to take a look.
Sorry I haven't been better help for you.

Davidion
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Sorry I don't have any other ideas. Just to be sure though, did you flash the rooted rom, or use kies or odin to install the update directly from samsung?

Actually, one or two more ideas, though I wouldn't expect much at this point.
You could try using odin to reflash the original shipped version....you never know.
Or
Go into the updater-script and wherever it tries to use /sd-ext, change it to /external_sd, or whatever your error log says its looking for.
Definately ask another dev if its worth trying before doing that!
You may want to examine what is happening with any simlinks in there as well. Unfortunately Im probably not the best person to troubleshoot that stuff. But if you want to attach a copy of your logfile ill be glad to take a look.
Sorry I haven't been better help for you.

No I'm more than appreciative, believe me.

I've attached some log files from various attempts. There are some common error lines, including various referencing missing directories and such.

Quote:
W:Unable to get recovery.fstab info for /datadata during fstab generation!
W:Unable to get recovery.fstab info for /emmc during fstab generation!
W:Unable to get recovery.fstab info for /sd-ext during fstab generation!
Attached Files
File Type: txt report 1 CM10 Nightly.txt - [Click for QR Code] (7.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: txt report 2 Jellybro.txt - [Click for QR Code] (27.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: txt report 3 jellybro.txt - [Click for QR Code] (10.5 KB, 14 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Davidion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5210

DONATE TO ME
Cool, just got home so ill take a look at these in a bit.
In the meantime there's a new rom, Speed Rom which you may want to try. A few min ago I saw the dev had posted that it is in fact based on cm10.