Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,363 Members 48,705 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy Ace2 I8160 OTG

Tip us?
 
husnain.mahmood
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lahore
Default [Q] Galaxy Ace2 I8160 OTG

Hi,
Sometime some simple things make you crazy, I didnt get the answer for "How to use or enable the OTG Cable with I8160". ?
I have absolutely no experiance of making or installing kernel/roms. Please let me know that will I be able to use a simple USB Flashdisk with my I8160 or not.
If not then what could be the reason.
If yes then please guide me for this.
 
arroyo
Old
#2  
arroyo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 335
Posts: 374
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bydgoszcz
I8160 do not support USB OTG. This was answered hundreds of time on many threads here. Use search button next time.
 
husnain.mahmood
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lahore
Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyo View Post
I8160 do not support USB OTG. This was answered hundreds of time on many threads here. Use search button next time.
It means change the mobile. right.
 
loof13
Old
#4  
loof13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 187
Posts: 363
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Yes it does! Please use the Q and A thread if you want to ask questions!! This is the hundredth time we are mentioning this!


Galaxy S2 I9100G
ROM : OmniROM 4.4 Kit Kat
Kernel : Stock

Don't Forget To Click On The Thanks Button!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loof13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
arroyo
Old
(Last edited by arroyo; 1st March 2013 at 01:21 PM.)
#5  
arroyo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 335
Posts: 374
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bydgoszcz
@loof13
Did you managed to connect USB storage or mouse thru USB port in i8160? I did not found anyone who managed to do that. If yes, then it is awesome.
I have OTG cable and my i8160 is not responsing after connecting mouse, keyboard or pendrive. Even with "USB OTG Helper" app. Tried to power connected devices via USB HUB, but it did not helped.

The reason why it is not working ... its because i8160 do not give any power required to power connected devices. Ace 2 cannot work in host mode for USB. Tried this already in GB and JB (MB2 and MB4). Hafidzduddin confirmed that in kernel there is everything that is needed for USB OTG, but probably it is lack of something in hardware.

But all bluetooth mouses and keyboards work good.
 
Dr01nE
Old
#6  
Dr01nE's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 798
Posts: 1,215
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Acquiring...

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Galaxy Ace2 I8160 OTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyo View Post
@loof13
Did you managed to connect USB storage or mouse thru USB port in i8160? I did not found anyone who managed to do that. If yes, then it is awesome.
I have OTG cable and my i8160 is not responsing after connecting mouse, keyboard or pendrive. Even with "USB OTG Helper" app. Tried to power connected devices via USB HUB, but it did not helped.

The reason why it is not working ... its because i8160 do not give any power required to power connected devices. Ace 2 cannot work in host mode for USB. Tried this already in GB and JB (MB2 and MB4). Hafidzduddin confirmed that in kernel there is everything that is needed for USB OTG, but probably it is lack of something in hardware.

But all bluetooth mouses and keyboards work good.
It was mentioned that it supports OTG. Its just that we needed a kernel and drivers or stuff that would make it possible
Is pressing "THANKS" to hard to do? If you think my post is helpful then click that button! Ungrateful bast***s
 
loof13
Old
#7  
loof13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 187
Posts: 363
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
That's what I meant


Galaxy S2 I9100G
ROM : OmniROM 4.4 Kit Kat
Kernel : Stock

Don't Forget To Click On The Thanks Button!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loof13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
husnain.mahmood
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lahore
Default Re: [Q] Galaxy Ace2 I8160 OTG

So i will need to have kernel by hafidz.
I searched on forums and found that i have to short pin 4 and pin5 of mini usb connector. Did someone tried for i8160.
Does simple usb flash disk also needs powrr from phone.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using xda app-developers app
 
Dr01nE
Old
#9  
Dr01nE's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 798
Posts: 1,215
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Acquiring...

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Galaxy Ace2 I8160 OTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by husnain.mahmood View Post
So i will need to have kernel by hafidz.
I searched on forums and found that i have to short pin 4 and pin5 of mini usb connector. Did someone tried for i8160.
Does simple usb flash disk also needs powrr from phone.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using xda app-developers app
I remember someone saying that if the phone cannot power the USB device, an external power source should be used. I don't really know what that meant but I'm guessing a USB hub that has a separate power supply.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using xda app-developers app
 
husnain.mahmood
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lahore
Default Re: [Q] Galaxy Ace2 I8160 OTG

Ok. So try the kernel by hafidz. Try external power supply.
But does this has been tried by someone with success.


Sent from my GT-I8160 using xda app-developers app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes