Originally Posted by rpogorek
I am using a stock rooted US Moto G, and I have had podcasts (through both Pocket Casts and DoubleTwist) and MLB At Bat audio streaming stopping randomly.
Has anybody else had this issue? Any solutions?
I have the exact same problem. Podcasts stop playing suddenly.
This usually happens when using chrome, particularly when scrolling.
A few observations:
- The app doesn't crash - launching it again and pressing play starts the podcast at the exact same spot meaning the app safely shutdown.
- Closing all apps and tabs to free up memory usually helps but is no guarantee it won't stop again within a few minutes.
- Happens with several podcast apps I tried - all of which use about 60mb of RAM when playing
- Happens with downloaded and streamed podcasts. But stopping is more likely with streaming versions (I guess the stream is buffered to RAM meaning it's more likely to be killed)
- Every time the podcast stops I have been using a web browser (I've tried Chrome, Chrome beta, Firefox, Opera and UC browser)
My theory is that android is killing the process to free up some RAM but I'm not sure what can be done to prevent this.
A few things I have looked into are 'nice' and 'minfree'. I tried increasing the priority of my podcast app with nice but that didn't seem to help at all.
Changing the minfree settings did seem to have some affect, but it was still getting killed off eventually.
I don't know much about android to look into it any further ( this is my first android device), perhaps someone with more experience can advise.
I guess this is just one of the limitations of the MotoG and 1gb of RAM