Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,686 Members 37,208 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] GPS without sim card

Tip us?

leonardusius
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] GPS without sim card

Hi,
Just asking if GPS is working without SIM card because I recently buy one and the seller remove the SIM; without SIM I tried to use Application>navigation and nothing hapened. The phone still searching for location indefinitly....I google it and can't figure out what's up. Some says only some application will work, other says it can't work without SIM. Please, help me here.

PsykoGeek
Old
(Last edited by PsykoGeek; 11th March 2014 at 05:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardusius View Post
Hi,
Just asking if GPS is working without SIM card.
It certannly worked for weeks in my Lg Optimus G pro phone , when i had not placed any sim card into the phone at all. It was one thing i was hoping would work completly without "web" also , so far it seems to do that fine also . Agps is not a requirement for the GPS, in this phone as far as i can tell, although AGPS can be got over the WiFi if needed, like the app GpsStatus would do that, and other apps out there.

With that said, it should be noted that in my system, the phone connects to the tower AnyFreakingWays. as the US model of phones is capable of making a 911 call (or even butt dialing one without any sim card in place.
So much of my GPS testing also included working with the Airplane mode on, and the tower fully disconnected. And it still worked. Indoors not as well, but at least it works indoors eventually, some other crappy gpses (i used) would not ever fix indooors.

In the "location" settings, I just turn off the Web locator stuff, and leave on only the real GPS, I really do not know much about how the other location methods works on the phone, because I keep turning that off.

leonardusius
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you.