Partition SDXC

9th March 2014, 01:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag ATHENS
Thanks Meter: 2

36 posts
More
Hello, i bought this memory card http://www.sandisk.com/products/memo...?capacity=64GB . I'd like to tell me which is the best way to partition this card for Xperia Z1.
Thank you.
9th March 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #2  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 152

494 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hander13

Hello, i bought this memory card http://www.sandisk.com/products/memo...?capacity=64GB . I'd like to tell me which is the best way to partition this card for Xperia Z1.
Thank you.

If you used to using Linux PC / Laptop, then best system file is ext4. Since Z1 didn't support NTFS regarding lack of kernel features (hopefully doomlord will add this on next build), then ext4 is the best choice.

But if you using Windows, FAT32 is your choice. But you can't copy a single file which larger than 4 GB (this is the lack of fat32), beside that fat32 can only formating a disk which not bigger than 32gb. In this case, you can create two or more partitions for your 64gb sdcard.

If there's any questions, let me know. Hope this help.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to omegahanggara For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2014, 04:03 PM   |  #3  
Planet Earth
Thanks Meter: 616

2,991 posts
Do not mess up with partitions if you will not use some kind of installations where EXT4 is needed. 64GB SDXC have natively extFAT as primary Partition and its supported by Z1, best choice and performance, also it support more than 4GB per file.
The Following User Says Thank You to eclyptos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag ATHENS

36 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos

Do not mess up with partitions if you will not use some kind of installations where EXT4 is needed. 64GB SDXC have natively extFAT as primary Partition and its supported by Z1, best choice and performance, also it support more than 4GB per file.

I have already format my SDcard, and now i use minitool partition but i cant find extFAT format...
9th March 2014, 06:46 PM   |  #5  
Planet Earth
Thanks Meter: 616

2,991 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hander13

I have already format my SDcard, and now i use minitool partition but i cant find extFAT format...

With what Partition System did you formatted your SD last time? Minitool Home Edition I think do not support exFAT. I remember Windows 7 can do that and it will let you formatting the card in exFAT with 32k cluster size. If you can't try to find an application to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to eclyptos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2014, 06:49 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

13 posts
Quote:

With what Partition System did you formatted your SD last time? Minitool Home Edition I think do not support exFAT. I remember Windows 7 can do that and it will let you formatting the card in exFAT with 32k cluster size. If you can't try to find an application to do so.

Cant this be done via recovery?
9th March 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #7  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 152

494 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie_C

Cant this be done via recovery?

No

The Following User Says Thank You to omegahanggara For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th March 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegahanggara

No

Ok, just thought I'd ask as I get the option in my recovery. I've never used it but I assumed it would allow you to choose the filesystem to format.
It would be nice though
11th March 2014, 07:41 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 31

131 posts
More
I'd say you should your xperia take care about formatting:

Aslong as its in your device it shouldn't matter what format the card has. In mtp -mode your xperia acts like a reader/writer. It also updates your file index by this method.

If you're using it as a external SD card you should use whatever suits your os.

Ext4 would be okay since there are open source free writers/readers available for Windows.

Still, any changes need the media scanner to run before your Android recognize the files

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to xXFlippyXx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th March 2014, 10:54 AM   |  #10  
OP Member
Flag ATHENS

36 posts
More
Quote:

Finaly i did that with win7 but my Z1 can't read this format (extFAT)...Why?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread