Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,817 Members 53,809 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLVED] Unable to flash SGS3 T999, phone hangs on system.img.ext4

Tip us?
glenbarney Old
(Last edited by glenbarney; 18th December 2012 at 01:33 AM.) Reason: Solved
Thanks Meter
Cool [SOLVED] Unable to flash SGS3 T999, phone hangs on system.img.ext4

Quote:
Greetings:

I have an SGH-T999 SGS3. It was running ICS.

When using Kies, I was offered the upgrade to Jellybean (LJA). The Kies update hung at 23%, for hours, repeatedly, and never exited.

I've now downloaded the root66 LJA system, and am trying to flash with ODIN. ODIN has now been stuck for an hour at system.img.ext4.

Can anyone help me get *anything* flashed to this phone, so I can get out of recovery mode please?

Thanks in advance!
To anyone having this problem, I fixed it by:

1. Using Odin307 instead of Odin185 AND
2. Using a different USB cable.

I don't know which of those two things fixed it, since I tried both at once, but that fixed it.

The entire update took 6 minutes once I changed those two things.

Thanks!
Glen

HajmeR
Old
Thanks Meter 22
It takes a lot of time to flash system.img.ext4. I think it may take less or more time based on your computer and other factors. Just let it flash and wait. Mine took about 1.5 hour.

Sent from my frozen SGH-T999
glenbarney Old
Thanks Meter
Default Still waiting after one hour so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajmeR View Post
It takes a lot of time to flash system.img.ext4. I think it may take less or more time based on your computer and other factors. Just let it flash and wait. Mine took about 1.5 hour.

Sent from my frozen SGH-T999
Okay, started at 3:34 PM Pacific time. Still stuck (but not failed, interesting) at 4:37 PM (one hour so far.) I will advise.
This is on an HP Pavilion dv7-2173cl with a fresh load of Windows 8, no bloatware other than the stock stuff. (A similar attempt on an HP dv7-2043cl running Windows 7 also appeared to stick at the same point, but I only waited 30 minutes before giving up.)

By comparison, and just for interest, my international SGS3, I9300, updated over Kies in about 4 minutes, on the same computer. So I would be interested to know why an I9300 goes so fast, and a T999 goes so slow, if there are any ideas...
glenbarney Old
Thanks Meter
Cool SOLVED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbarney View Post
Okay, started at 3:34 PM Pacific time. Still stuck (but not failed, interesting) at 4:37 PM (one hour so far.) I will advise.
This is on an HP Pavilion dv7-2173cl with a fresh load of Windows 8, no bloatware other than the stock stuff. (A similar attempt on an HP dv7-2043cl running Windows 7 also appeared to stick at the same point, but I only waited 30 minutes before giving up.)

By comparison, and just for interest, my international SGS3, I9300, updated over Kies in about 4 minutes, on the same computer. So I would be interested to know why an I9300 goes so fast, and a T999 goes so slow, if there are any ideas...

I don't know which of those two things fixed it, since I tried both at once, but that fixed it.

Thanks!
Glen

mattedwards2686
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbarney View Post

Thanks!
Glen
I experience this problem when I use a non-samsung usb cable(Vibrant and S3). It would always freak me out, because it would stay for hours and would usually end up in a soft brick.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattedwards2686 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kalm_Traveler
Old
Thanks Meter 32
all I've used on any of my Android phones is a cheap Blackberry-brand usb cable from Amazon. I think it was $2.00 or so. Hasn't failed me yet

I would bet that it was probably just your very old version of Odin, honestly.
LG G2x - Eaglesblood AOSP - sold
Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10 - sold
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - CM11 nightlies - current

masterme117
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalm_Traveler View Post
all I've used on any of my Android phones is a cheap Blackberry-brand usb cable from Amazon. I think it was $2.00 or so. Hasn't failed me yet

I would bet that it was probably just your very old version of Odin, honestly.
I would bet that it is the USB cable. I tried flashing stock on my Verizon Note 2 and nothing happened after 90 minutes. I spent three hours flashing nothing happened. I was using the box included Samsung cable, then I read this thread so I might as well try it. I got my sister's HTC Incredible 2 cable and what would you know it was done in under 5 minutes. Next time i flash i am going to have a tower of cables next to me

Aerowinder
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalm_Traveler View Post
Me too!

Flashing a full image through Odin should take 10-15 minutes tops. Is the phone connected as a USB 2.0 device? Sometimes the buggy drivers will put it into 1.0 mode.

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: BaNkS

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror

Droids king
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedwards2686 View Post
I experience this problem when I use a non-samsung usb cable(Vibrant and S3). It would always freak me out, because it would stay for hours and would usually end up in a soft brick.
thanks for the help man it really helped me !!

Don't just say thanks, hit thanks button !

talonzme
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default SCH-I605 Flash Fails with Odin

I am having a similar issue with my Note II. I tried to flash a new bootloader to facilitate the installation of the KitKat based Ditto Note 3 rom. I, in my failure to read 6 posts down, used mobileOdin to try and accomplish this. My phone is now a plush, soft brick. I can get into download mode. Given this, I have been trying to flash my phone using Odin for windows only to have it fail every time. I have tried different roms, partitions, bootloaders, versions of Odin, PCs, cables and even a couple of different poses. I am not new to rooting and roms, every android device I own is rooted and running custom roms. Any help from those who are definitely more knowledgeable than myself (the XDA community) would be GREATLY appreciated.

Phone Information:
Was running MeanBeanICE
Verizon phone

In download (Odin) mode:
Product Name: GT-N7100
Custome Binary Download: no
Current Binary: Official
System Status: Custom
Warranty Bit: 0

Tags
hangs, jellybean, odin, system.img.ext4, t999