[Q] State of root access, 4.3
I just wanted to pose a few questions. I've spent about 20 hours going through forums and articles to root my Verizon HTC One, and a heck of a lot of the information out there is very dated, and often contradictory. I've tried condensing it into a single procedure, but am having problems.
Here's the procedure for a brand new phone straight from a verizon store yesterday, running Android 4.3, with hboot 2.55, as I understand it; the information that I believe is now out of date, wrong, or not for 4.3/ 2.55; and the problem(s) I'm running into:
1) Unlock the bootloader and get s-off -- Firewater should be able to do this using the temproot method
2) Flash recovery mod, I was going to use CWM since it worked so nicely on my Incredible for 4 years -- this requires an unlocked bootloader and s-off, done the standard way via fastboot
3) Use CWM to flash superuser in recovery -- push the zip to sd, flash it from recovery
4) Happy times with my old set up back
1) HTCdev -- no longer allowed for HTC One by Verizon, can't unlock bootloader this way. Renders a lot of the threads irrelevant now that this is not a valid route
2) rumrunner -- works for Android 2.2.4, not 2.3, and up to hboot 2.54
3) firewater "standard method" -- useless to anyone attempting to root a new device for the first time
4) "flash ARHD, then run firewater" -- again, not useful if you're trying to get CWM and SU on your phone for the first time
1) The big one. Running temproot/ firewater, I acquire root access after running temproot, but when I run firewater after I get
!!If firewater hangs for more than 2 minutes or device enters qhusb mode, hold power for 60 seconds !!
preparing, one moment
The first bottle is open
with the adb shell crashing out, and my phone will freeze, requiring a hard reboot.
2) I got a few suggestions to use rumrunner (before I decided rumrunner was 2.2.4, from the sources I could find). The process would be going fairly smoothily, until it would crash with the error "looks like device is not rooted AND lacks an unsecure kernel. su or FU!!" I also once got an error about "unexpected process or ROM" but haven't been able to replicate it.
3) Found some advice for "flashing CWM without s-off"...that obviously didn't work, but I thought I might as well try
4) Not so much a problem as a concern...I'm a bit worried about my drivers. I think they are good and up to date, I got them from HTCsync, and have full adb and fastboot control to my device, but still...
So, what's your take? Am I missing something obvious?