HTC One X - Can't go to recovery

OP DownClock

28th July 2012, 10:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21

200 posts
Hello!

I have a HTC One X (EU-version), and it's unlocked.
I used to have Android Revolution HD ROM installed, and would try a new kernel. So I downloaded the new faux kernel (faux_004b5_arhd_7.0.0_modified.img)

Somehow it didn't work, and my phone keep restarting. So I go to the recovery mode, and tried to reinstall the ROM, without whip.
After that I made a reboot, my phone keep reboot. Now I can't go to the recovery mode, either can I flash my device.
I really don't know what to do now.

I hope someone can help, and I posted in the right section.
28th July 2012, 11:03 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 136

390 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownClock

Hello!

I have a HTC One X (EU-version), and it's unlocked.
I used to have Android Revolution HD ROM installed, and would try a new kernel. So I downloaded the new faux kernel (faux_004b5_arhd_7.0.0_modified.img)

Somehow it didn't work, and my phone keep restarting. So I go to the recovery mode, and tried to reinstall the ROM, without whip.
After that I made a reboot, my phone keep reboot. Now I can't go to the recovery mode, either can I flash my device.
I really don't know what to do now.

I hope someone can help, and I posted in the right section.

I had that problem before too. If the "hold power button for 10 seconds then press volume down and power buttons simultaneously" doesn't work, download Quick Boot from playstore and it would allow you to choose to either Reboot, boot to recovery, or the bootloader

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wtfshouldidonow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2012, 11:18 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,813

2,516 posts
trick is to run 'adb reboot bootloader' or 'adb reboot recovery'.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seadersn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2012, 11:29 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

200 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfshouldidonow

I had that problem before too. If the "hold power button for 10 seconds then press volume down and power buttons simultaneously" doesn't work, download Quick Boot from playstore and it would allow you to choose to either Reboot, boot to recovery, or the bootloader

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

When I hold the power button and volume down for 10 secounds, I come to the fastboot menu.
How can I download Quick Boot, when I don't have acces to my memory. I can't see what I have on my memorycard (obs. because I can't go to the recovery part), either can't connect to the computer, since I'm in a bootloop.
I'm afraid while I was doing this stuff, my battery was low. But it didn't die under the process.

Tyvm for the reply, but I can't install the quick boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadersn

trick is to run 'adb reboot bootloader' or 'adb reboot recovery'.

Can you please explain more?

My Skype is: Dichatz, if a awesome soul could help me there, it would be the greatest thing ever. I'm afraid of that my HTC One X has seen the daylight for the last time

Ty both for the reply.

EDIT: I followed my friends advise, and tried to erase fastboot cache, which seems not able do to. I just getting the message: < waiting for device >.

Dear God, what have I done with my phone!
Last edited by DownClock; 29th July 2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: EDIT
29th July 2012, 01:06 AM   |  #5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 32

272 posts
More
Dear OP, I believe there is a solution. This situation has occurred with my device more than once. I too believed I had lost it until it resolved itself. There are several things you can do to ensure it works again. I wiped the ROM on my phone before the problem began, so I was stuck with a dead phone until I found a way to get recovery to work again. If it's possible, enter Fastboot and install a new kernel onto it, and THEN use fastboot erase cache. If that is not a viable option, make sure the USB wire is not plugged in when the device boots. By this I mean holding down the lower volume button and initializing the menu that allows you to select Fastboot, Recovery, Factory Reset and other command options. Once the device boots into the menu, you may then plug in the cable and enter Fastboot mode. If none of the above work, let the battery deplete itself until device turns off. Once you have done that, plug it into the wall charger, and then volume down and power up. If the device says something like "reading SD card", disconnect the USB and the menu will fully load. That is when you select Fastboot. Keep the device on, plug it into the pc and send your kernel commands to your device. Ensure that you also erase the cache via Fastboot. Your device should now be fully operational. I hope I was able to help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elemental_Fire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th July 2012, 01:42 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 12

64 posts
Have found myself in a similar position, all the following assumes you're using windows as you desktop OS...

To double check your recovery is broken, get into fastboot mode (power on while holding volume down), use volume down to highlight "hboot" then press the power button to select. Then press volume down to highlight "recovery" and press power button to select. If that works, then recovery is fine, just go ahead as you normally would to recover the system.

If you can't get into recovery then you have a slight problem.

Since you can get the device into fastboot mode, the priority is to get it to talk to your PC. Get the device into fastboot (power on while holding the volume down button). Once you're into fastboot, plug in the USB cable and verify the connection to your device using the following command :

Code:
fastboot devices
This should show you a single entry for your device. If it doesn't show anything, then unplug the device, download the naked driver pack (available at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1161769) and unpack it into a sensible location. Plug the device back in, if it can't install software automatically or nothing appears you may have to use device manager to update the driver for the device. Find its entry in the device tree (it will probably be listed as an unknown device), RMB on its entry in device tree then select "Update Driver Software..." from the menu that appears, tell it to search automatically then point it at the location where you unpacked the naked driver pack. That should sort out any misconceptions windows has about not being able to talk to the phone.

Once you have fastboot access, you can reflash clockworkmod. You can obtain the latest version here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1594819

flash from fastboot using the command

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.4.0-endeavoru.img
Once flashed, unplug the usb cable.

Use the volume up and down to highlight "hboot" on the fastboot menu, then press the power button to select. Once in the hboot menu, scroll to the "recovery" menu item and press power again to select. You should find yourself in familiar territory at this point.

hth

EDIT : Sorry, it's nearly 2am here, I'm very tired and I've just re-read your initial post. If you've flashed a custom kernel then you MUST have fastboot access (or it's subsequently broken). Download your ROM (if you haven't already got a copy on your PC) and extract boot.img from it. Get into fastboot mode (vol down + power on) and plug into your PC. Do the following :

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot erase cache
Unplug USB cable, use vol up/ down to highlight "REBOOT" then press power to select.If you get stuck in a bootloop, you can try going into recovery via fastboot (select "hboot" from the fastboot menu then "recovery" from the hboot menu), then select "erase cache", then go to "advanced" and "wipe dalvik cache". Then go back and reboot the device. See if that helps. If not, then go back to recovery using the aforementioned method and re-install your rom, then erase cache and wipe dalvik cache.
Last edited by amacrobie; 29th July 2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Shouldn't be posting on forums at 2am
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to amacrobie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th July 2012, 03:43 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

200 posts
Thanks for replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental_Fire

Dear OP, I believe there is a solution. This situation has occurred with my device more than once. I too believed I had lost it until it resolved itself. There are several things you can do to ensure it works again. I wiped the ROM on my phone before the problem began, so I was stuck with a dead phone until I found a way to get recovery to work again. If it's possible, enter Fastboot and install a new kernel onto it, and THEN use fastboot erase cache. If that is not a viable option, make sure the USB wire is not plugged in when the device boots. By this I mean holding down the lower volume button and initializing the menu that allows you to select Fastboot, Recovery, Factory Reset and other command options. Once the device boots into the menu, you may then plug in the cable and enter Fastboot mode. If none of the above work, let the battery deplete itself until device turns off. Once you have done that, plug it into the wall charger, and then volume down and power up. If the device says something like "reading SD card", disconnect the USB and the menu will fully load. That is when you select Fastboot. Keep the device on, plug it into the pc and send your kernel commands to your device. Ensure that you also erase the cache via Fastboot. Your device should now be fully operational. I hope I was able to help.

Yes, I was dumb, started at low battery level, even tho, everywhere says: Make sure you have more than 70 %.
I can't wipe, or install anything, since it's recovery mode that doesn't work

Atm., I charge my phone, because I need to have 10 %, I use "Stuck in fastboot with low battery. Use this BATCH file!" guide. So far it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacrobie

Have found myself in a similar position, all the following assumes you're using windows as you desktop OS...

To double check your recovery is broken, get into fastboot mode (power on while holding volume down), use volume down to highlight "hboot" then press the power button to select. Then press volume down to highlight "recovery" and press power button to select. If that works, then recovery is fine, just go ahead as you normally would to recover the system.

If you can't get into recovery then you have a slight problem.

Since you can get the device into fastboot mode, the priority is to get it to talk to your PC. Get the device into fastboot (power on while holding the volume down button). Once you're into fastboot, plug in the USB cable and verify the connection to your device using the following command :

Code:
fastboot devices
This should show you a single entry for your device. If it doesn't show anything, then unplug the device, download the naked driver pack (available at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1161769) and unpack it into a sensible location. Plug the device back in, if it can't install software automatically or nothing appears you may have to use device manager to update the driver for the device. Find its entry in the device tree (it will probably be listed as an unknown device), RMB on its entry in device tree then select "Update Driver Software..." from the menu that appears, tell it to search automatically then point it at the location where you unpacked the naked driver pack. That should sort out any misconceptions windows has about not being able to talk to the phone.

Once you have fastboot access, you can reflash clockworkmod. You can obtain the latest version here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1594819

flash from fastboot using the command

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.4.0-endeavoru.img
Once flashed, unplug the usb cable.

Use the volume up and down to highlight "hboot" on the fastboot menu, then press the power button to select. Once in the hboot menu, scroll to the "recovery" menu item and press power again to select. You should find yourself in familiar territory at this point.

hth

EDIT : Sorry, it's nearly 2am here, I'm very tired and I've just re-read your initial post. If you've flashed a custom kernel then you MUST have fastboot access (or it's subsequently broken). Download your ROM (if you haven't already got a copy on your PC) and extract boot.img from it. Get into fastboot mode (vol down + power on) and plug into your PC. Do the following :

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot erase cache
Unplug USB cable, use vol up/ down to highlight "REBOOT" then press power to select.If you get stuck in a bootloop, you can try going into recovery via fastboot (select "hboot" from the fastboot menu then "recovery" from the hboot menu), then select "erase cache", then go to "advanced" and "wipe dalvik cache". Then go back and reboot the device. See if that helps. If not, then go back to recovery using the aforementioned method and re-install your rom, then erase cache and wipe dalvik cache.

Thank you very much for your answer!!! I read this this guide: 9/6 Mandatory Update Official Clockworkmod Touch Recovery 5.8.4.0.
If that doesn't work, I will take closer look at your reply. No matter what, thank you very very very very much. I'm sure that reply will help some soul outthere (if not me, if it fail).

Thank you guys. You are the best. I will be right back here if I find a solution!
29th July 2012, 10:05 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,151

7,948 posts
Donate to Me
Tip: try 'Quick Boot' available on Google Playstore, it's a payed app but
it let you go straight into recovery mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120729105821.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1228774  
29th July 2012, 11:20 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

200 posts
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius26

Tip: try 'Quick Boot' available on Google Playstore, it's a payed app but
it let you go straight into recovery mode.

I could't turn my device on, so I could't install any programs.

Anyway, after 6 hours work, I finally got it.

I use that guide ^, so I could charge my phone to 10%, and installed new Kernel.

Thank you guys, for quick replies!
30th July 2012, 12:58 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,151

7,948 posts
Donate to Me
My apologies, I wasn't reading your first post properly.
Anyway congrats you have it working again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownClock

I could't turn my device on, so I could't install any programs.

Anyway, after 6 hours work, I finally got it.

I use that guide ^, so I could charge my phone to 10%, and installed new Kernel.

Thank you guys, for quick replies!

Last edited by Laurentius26; 30th July 2012 at 01:03 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread