Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Question "Potting" and/or otherwise *really* waterproofing the TrueSmart

OP lphovercraft

12th March 2014, 12:18 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 8

26 posts
Alright, gang - here's the million-dollar question: has anyone come up with a way to make the TrueSmart *truly* waterproof? I'm not talking about dipping the unit into a still tank of water. I'm talking about white-water rapids, Niagara Falls, in-the-jet-tub-naked-with-your-sweetie water-invasion proof.

I'm not asking for pie-in-the-sky ideas. I'm asking for folks that have experience with making devices impervious to the elements. The way I see it (not having seen the device, but checking out lots and lots of photos) there are basically two strategies:

1) replace the gasket with something more resilient/robust, or
2) potting the electronic assembly with epoxy to seal the electronics that *might* fail

I've done some testing of electronic components for resistance to contaminants that have force/velocity behind them. The primary test was to use mineral spirits - and spray the enclosed unit under a fully submerged bath. Then we'd fully dry the exterior of the unit and then open it to see if any mineral spirits had leaked in. As some of you may know, mineral spirits are non-conductive, so the possibility of the unit failing due to invasion of the liquid is relatively minimal. (contaminants in the liquid notwithstanding). There are other considerations such as the relative viscosity/covalence of the material relative to water - but it was close enough for our purposes at the time.

So - are there any intrepid souls out there who are willing to try different water-proofing strategies and test it using a method like this? Is there another relatively safe method that could be used to validate an 'aftermarket' approach to truly waterproofing the TrueSmart?

I'm all ears.
12th March 2014, 01:07 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars
Thanks Meter: 3,282

2,891 posts
Donate to Me
More
  1. Buttons need to be in a sealed assembly
  2. Mic needs to be in a sealed assembly
  3. Speaker needs to be in a sealed assembly
  4. Rear seal, seal groove, screw stand-offs and back needs to be redesigned (think tongue and groove or snap-off watch back)

1-3 are not too difficult, 4 however is a problem. May be able to get away with a thicker gasket that is glued into place.
12th March 2014, 09:45 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz

1. Buttons need to be in a sealed assembly
  2. Mic needs to be in a sealed assembly
  3. Speaker needs to be in a sealed assembly
  4. Rear seal, seal groove, screw stand-offs and back needs to be redesigned (think tongue and groove or snap-off watch back)

1-3 are not too difficult, 4 however is a problem. May be able to get away with a thicker gasket that is glued into place.

That was *somewhat* as I feared. I was wondering if there was a material that could be used to 'fill seal' the gasket area and form a lip/bulge as it cured out to protect the seam. Man, that really disappoints me. But between the delivery delay and the advent of the latest training watches from Garmin and Polar I might be left with my original decision, which is to simply sell the unit and buy one of the suited-to-purpose products.

13th March 2014, 12:02 AM   |  #4  
Flag Vega Baja
Thanks Meter: 30

182 posts
I am seriously considering this as an option if/when mine arrives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

$20 at The Home Depot.
13th March 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncespr

I am seriously considering this as an option if/when mine arrives.

$20 at The Home Depot.

Hmmm... I honestly wonder how it will do with water under pressure hitting a seam on-axis. (shower, diving, backstroke)
13th March 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 105

536 posts
It might eat the TrueSmart's "Sapphire Glass" coating.

When they dunked the iPhone, I was rooting for the water !

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread