Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,170 Members 43,579 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"Potting" and/or otherwise *really* waterproofing the TrueSmart

Tip us?

lphovercraft
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Question "Potting" and/or otherwise *really* waterproofing the TrueSmart

Alright, gang - here's the million-dollar question: has anyone come up with a way to make the TrueSmart *truly* waterproof? I'm not talking about dipping the unit into a still tank of water. I'm talking about white-water rapids, Niagara Falls, in-the-jet-tub-naked-with-your-sweetie water-invasion proof.

I'm not asking for pie-in-the-sky ideas. I'm asking for folks that have experience with making devices impervious to the elements. The way I see it (not having seen the device, but checking out lots and lots of photos) there are basically two strategies:

1) replace the gasket with something more resilient/robust, or
2) potting the electronic assembly with epoxy to seal the electronics that *might* fail

I've done some testing of electronic components for resistance to contaminants that have force/velocity behind them. The primary test was to use mineral spirits - and spray the enclosed unit under a fully submerged bath. Then we'd fully dry the exterior of the unit and then open it to see if any mineral spirits had leaked in. As some of you may know, mineral spirits are non-conductive, so the possibility of the unit failing due to invasion of the liquid is relatively minimal. (contaminants in the liquid notwithstanding). There are other considerations such as the relative viscosity/covalence of the material relative to water - but it was close enough for our purposes at the time.

So - are there any intrepid souls out there who are willing to try different water-proofing strategies and test it using a method like this? Is there another relatively safe method that could be used to validate an 'aftermarket' approach to truly waterproofing the TrueSmart?

I'm all ears.

Lokifish Marz
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3250

DONATE TO ME
  1. Buttons need to be in a sealed assembly
  2. Mic needs to be in a sealed assembly
  3. Speaker needs to be in a sealed assembly
  4. Rear seal, seal groove, screw stand-offs and back needs to be redesigned (think tongue and groove or snap-off watch back)

1-3 are not too difficult, 4 however is a problem. May be able to get away with a thicker gasket that is glued into place.
Ubuntop- U4A/Webtop hybrid for all Tegra2 Motorola phones (Fully integrated Ubuntu Desktop)
Live ROM (One "ROM" over 12 phones) (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world and as base by many devs)
Imperium Initiative Photon (used as base by many Photon devs)
Imperium Initiative LS970 (used as base by many LS970 devs)
Imperium Agent LS970 (LS970 version of Live ROM)
Evo Desktop PC (Featured on XDA Portal and multiple other sites around the world)
(Nexus Q)uantum Singularity Project (Media Center, File Server, Website Server, LinuxonAndroid in little black ball of joy)
Umeox x201 EnSec Enhanced Security Patch and Live ROM Installer (used by multiple devs world wide on over 6 different models/versions of x201's)
Every Android device I've owned since the Hero- Media Center, File Server, Website Server

lphovercraft
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz View Post
  1. Buttons need to be in a sealed assembly
  2. Mic needs to be in a sealed assembly
  3. Speaker needs to be in a sealed assembly
  4. Rear seal, seal groove, screw stand-offs and back needs to be redesigned (think tongue and groove or snap-off watch back)

1-3 are not too difficult, 4 however is a problem. May be able to get away with a thicker gasket that is glued into place.
That was *somewhat* as I feared. I was wondering if there was a material that could be used to 'fill seal' the gasket area and form a lip/bulge as it cured out to protect the seam. Man, that really disappoints me. But between the delivery delay and the advent of the latest training watches from Garmin and Polar I might be left with my original decision, which is to simply sell the unit and buy one of the suited-to-purpose products.

poncespr
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I am seriously considering this as an option if/when mine arrives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

$20 at The Home Depot.

lphovercraft
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncespr View Post
I am seriously considering this as an option if/when mine arrives.

$20 at The Home Depot.
Hmmm... I honestly wonder how it will do with water under pressure hitting a seam on-axis. (shower, diving, backstroke)

trent999
Old
Thanks Meter 52
It might eat the TrueSmart's "Sapphire Glass" coating.

When they dunked the iPhone, I was rooting for the water !

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk