Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,095 Members 40,743 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Switched Carriers Can I still Upgrade to Kit Kat 4.4.2 ?

Tip us?

LouieBlu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] Switched Carriers Can I still Upgrade to Kit Kat 4.4.2 ?

Hello all, I recently switched from T-Mobile to AIO Wireless, Since the phone is an Original M919 can I still do the update to Kit Kat?

This phone has been unlocked, and I have rooted it currently using TWRP, but never installed any custom roms on it it still has the 4.3 on it

AIO Wireless uses AT&T Towers but they have a great deal $45 bucks per month for everything I was paying about 55 for T-Mobile getting only 500MB of Data with AIO i get 2.5 GB of data for 10 bucks less the service is really good hasn't failed me yet.

So that's my question Can I still Upgrade ? and will I loose everything? like TWRP etc... ?

sorry fro the noob question any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Louie

LoopDoGG79
Old
Thanks Meter 1345
On the KitKat discussion thread, someone put a link to the update package. You can sideload it. Be warned, you will lose root.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
MY SIG

Phone SM-N900T
Rom STOCK
Baseband version UVUCNB
Recovery STOCK
Kernel STOCK

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other devices:
Nexus 7 Flo (On CleanRom 2.6! )
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Tmobile Samsung Galaxy S3
The Following User Says Thank You to LoopDoGG79 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

viskon
Old
Thanks Meter 38
To get the official OTA, you will have to go back to stock 4.3 and then upgrade from there. You will probably have to do a factory reset to bring it to official status after you unroot. It doesn't matter what carrier you are currently on.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to viskon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LouieBlu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by viskon View Post
To get the official OTA, you will have to go back to stock 4.3 and then upgrade from there. You will probably have to do a factory reset to bring it to official status after you unroot. It doesn't matter what carrier you are currently on.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDoGG79 View Post
On the KitKat discussion thread, someone put a link to the update package. You can sideload it. Be warned, you will lose root.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
Thanks I did a back up yesterday before I rooted the phone with Kies, I am looking at ABOUT PHONE and it still says 4.3 and Baseband M919UVUEMK2 isn't that stock ? I haven't put any Custom Roms on it just rooted, I will have to learn how to Unroot lol

Thanks for all your help

Corwinder
Old
Thanks Meter 31
You won't need to factory reset. Mine was rooted and I figured it would be easier to use Odin to flash an official 4.3 back on. Did that and the phone was running just like yesterday but without root. So then I went ahead and did the upgrade via wifi. A day later and it's still running great. Never did a factory reset though. Now just patiently
waiting for more people saying they have rooted 4.4

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
My Devices: Galaxy S4 rom Insane version 7
Kindle Fire first Generation. rooted but stock.

Retired: Galaxy S2
Motorola Defy
Barnes and Noble Nook Color