Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,486 Members 42,691 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S4 Not Detecting PC Connection

Tip us?

Moebius01
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default S4 Not Detecting PC Connection

Ok, so I found a few older threads on this, but no tips in them seem to work in my case. I can't seem to get my S4 to see the PC/USB connection and prompt to select Media Device or the like. The USB icon never even appears in the notification bar. The PC recognizes connection (USB tone sounds) and shows device ready to use, but phone never gives the option. Doesn't seem to matter if USB Debugging is checked or not, or anything else that I can find so far. Here's the things I can generally eliminate:

2 different USB cables worked on wife's S4 on two different PCs. Neither cable or PC worked with my S4
Tried reinstalling Samsung USB drivers just to be sure
Cold booted phone
Tried unchecking and re-checking USB debugging (also tried with it unchecked)

So when we take in working fine on wife's S4, I'd generally guess that we can eliminate cable and PC from the potential problem list. Phone is currently on stock rom, but rooted. Outside of that and freezing VZ Support, Knox, and VZ Tones, no other modifications to the OS. At this point, I'm pretty stumped. Any suggestions on other steps to try?

aidankiller4
Old
Thanks Meter 6
The problem is your USB settings in the hidden dialers. Look for tutorials on how to enable them, and once found, type *#0808#, and a list of usb otions will come up. Pick any with MTP and they'll work again.
The Following User Says Thank You to aidankiller4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Moebius01
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Worked perfect. Thanks muchly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidankiller4 View Post
The problem is your USB settings in the hidden dialers. Look for tutorials on how to enable them, and once found, type *#0808#, and a list of usb otions will come up. Pick any with MTP and they'll work again.

Im_Gumby
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Default Not to threadjack, but...

On a related issue, win update tried to update my samsung ADP, etc drivers and failed. Ever since, I cannot connect to the PC. The PC doesn't even notice that the phone is connected. I tried the above fix to no avail (it is set to MTP) I uninstalled and reinstalled kies, tried troubleshooting the usb connection, ect...

Please help.

aidankiller4
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Gumby View Post
On a related issue, win update tried to update my samsung ADP, etc drivers and failed. Ever since, I cannot connect to the PC. The PC doesn't even notice that the phone is connected. I tried the above fix to no avail (it is set to MTP) I uninstalled and reinstalled kies, tried troubleshooting the usb connection, ect...

Please help.
Try installing/reinstalling Kies, it comes bundled with all the samsung drivers you'll need

Im_Gumby
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Tried that. Twice. To no avail.

But it is no longer a problem. I installed eclipse rom and it now works again.

Who knows what went wrong...

Im_Gumby
Old
Thanks Meter 17
And now it's not working again. Reinstalled (dirty) the ROM without any change. Thoughts?