Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,714 Members 41,431 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it possible to completely Hard Brick the LG G2?

Tip us?

E-I-K-E
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Is it possible to completely Hard Brick the LG G2?

I'm just wondering if you can completely Hard Brick a LG G2 to a point, where there is no revive possible.

I can purchase a cheap LG G2 international version, but the seller says that he broke it during flashing a Kernel.

Can you for example revive a phone,that had a Kernel from completely different phone flashed?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my C6503 using Tapatalk 2

maydayind
Old
Thanks Meter 55
If it's true he only flashed a new kernel then u can restore it. If he messed with the partitions then.... No. If he used a broken usb cable and fried it....

Well ask to try the phone before u by it. Also check if it's stolen

E-I-K-E
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Alright, I gathered some more information from the seller.

He tried updating TWRP, but he followed wrong instructions from some website.

He canīt enter Recovery or Download Mode on the Phone.

The Display is active, but only Backlight.

When he connects the Phone to his Computer, it shows multiple Mass Storages, but the LG Software doesnīt recognize it.

Is this a common problem, that is easy to fix, or should I rather wait for another Deal to come up.

p.s. I asked him for a receipt, and he says that he has one.

superandroid2011
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-I-K-E View Post
Alright, I gathered some more information from the seller.

He tried updating TWRP, but he followed wrong instructions from some website.

He canīt enter Recovery or Download Mode on the Phone.

The Display is active, but only Backlight.

When he connects the Phone to his Computer, it shows multiple Mass Storages, but the LG Software doesnīt recognize it.

Is this a common problem, that is easy to fix, or should I rather wait for another Deal to come up.

p.s. I asked him for a receipt, and he says that he has one.
If the guy was updating through TWRP, he probably have some knowledge on the matter, and the chances that he bricked it for good is high.
When I messed up my G2 a few times, being able to enter in download mode was the hint that the phone was revivable, if him really can't enter the download mode, then it is probably a bigger problem.

But the question is, by buying this possible lemon, how much will you be saving compared to buying a brand new?

DHM078
Old
Thanks Meter 21
If it's showing up like that, if you have a Linux machine you may be able to use dd to flash factory images to the partitions. There is a guide to it somewhere on here. But even if you were successful in flashing those, it really depends on how badly he screwed it up. In particular I really hope he didn't damage or wipe his efs. Or at least has it backed up.

Honestly, I'd point him to the right guides and have him fix it. If he screwed up his efs, or messed the partitions up, or fried something, it's dead and not coming back. If all he did was flash a kernel in twrp and it was actually from this phone and it was just a bad download or flash or something, then you'd probably be okay, but if that were the case you'd get a secure boot error and still be able to enter download mode. Personally, I would not buy a phone that won't boot, especially if the seller isn't even sure what's wrong with it.

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk

dr87
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8187

DONATE TO ME
sounds recoverable, if there is a backlight and mass storage comes up that's good, you can dd partitions with linux

no backlight + no recognizable usb device at all = bricked

still, buy at your own risk

kewkie
Old
Thanks Meter 659
It is.. i just did by flashing a broken rom.. sent it to the repair center and they replaced the motherboard

E-I-K-E
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Right, I asked him if the Device shows as qhsusb_bulk in device Manager, and it does.

The only thing that worries me, is that there is no Boot Logo, most of the people in the Linux Fix Thread atleast get a LG Logo and not just Backlight.

Iīm really unsure what to do, I can save like 150€ by buying the broken G2, but well . . . I dont know if I can fix it.

Another problem is, that I have not a single clue on how to operate Linux/Ubuntu, and the only real fix requires either of those

alone-together
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Right, I asked him if the Device shows as qhsusb_bulk in device Manager, and it does.

The only thing that worries me, is that there is no Boot Logo, most of the people in the Linux Fix Thread atleast get a LG Logo and not just Backlight.

Iīm really unsure what to do, I can save like 150€ by buying the broken G2, but well . . . I dont know if I can fix it.

Another problem is, that I have not a single clue on how to operate Linux/Ubuntu, and the only real fix requires either of those
Just look up a guide on how to install an Ubuntu virtual machine. You should be able to connect your G2 to that virtual if you let it capture the USB port. If you can get it cheap, buy it and try to negotiate so you might have a chance on selling it for higher later on if you can't fix it. To me though, it sounds quite fixable, I would go for it.

dr87
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8187

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
this doesn't really matter, when I was trying to mess with the bootloader and corrupted it a few times I've never had the LG logo, as long as it comes up as storage you can DD it - the only time its a true brick is with no backlight and no usb device

if theres no boot logo you probably need to DD the aboot in