Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,213 Members 40,117 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

portable battery pack with solar panel?

Tip us?

fuzzysig
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default portable battery pack with solar panel?

im looking to buy a backup battery pack( the external portable battery)
not sure what the proper name for it

is there a battery pack that can last me 5-7 hours of continuous use ( for example on an airplane or camping) watching movies etc

i saw some at the airport on best buy vending machine but they were kinda expensive

so is there one with solar panel

and if there is one what is the best band for the buck
capacity. solar charging speed etc

somewhere in 60-150 dollar rance maybe?

vectron
Old
Thanks Meter 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
im looking to buy a backup battery pack( the external portable battery)
not sure what the proper name for it

is there a battery pack that can last me 5-7 hours of continuous use ( for example on an airplane or camping) watching movies etc

i saw some at the airport on best buy vending machine but they were kinda expensive

so is there one with solar panel

and if there is one what is the best band for the buck
capacity. solar charging speed etc

somewhere in 60-150 dollar rance maybe?
The one with solar panel is a joke. You need direct sunlight and it will be charging for a day, waste of money.

You are looking for external battery. Those are inexpensive, I reviewed a ton of those (did you see a sticky at the top of the forum with all my reviews?). Or you can check out link directly from my signature.

Best one, the most popular brand on amazon hundreds/thousands of 5-star reviews, which I have reviewed is by Anker. For what you are looking, you should get the highest capacity which is also compact enough for traveling. For $50 you either get new gen Astro 3, 12000 mAh (http://www.amazon.com/12000mAh-Exter...dp/B00CEZBKTO/) or older Astro E5, 15000 mAh (http://www.amazon.com/15000mAh-Porta...dp/B00D5T3QK4/). Don't know what phone you have, but most likely these will be 6x-7x capacity of your phone battery. So we are talking about at least a day or so of continuous use with your phone Read my reviews to find out which one you like better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following User Says Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fuzzysig
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
thanks man i didnt even know they could go that long i was expecting 4-6 hours of continuous use.

i have galaxy s3 right now

and with that in mind i wanted the solar panel so i can leave it trickle charging while its sitting unused.

i dont plan to use it every day just when im away from charger on long trips when using navigation or airplane and such.

or camping for several days with no electrical outlets around

how bad is the solar charging on them

can yougive me an idea for example if i would leave it in the sun for a day ( sunny day)

wolfen69
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
thanks man i didnt even know they could go that long i was expecting 4-6 hours of continuous use.

i have galaxy s3 right now

and with that in mind i wanted the solar panel so i can leave it trickle charging while its sitting unused.

i dont plan to use it every day just when im away from charger on long trips when using navigation or airplane and such.

or camping for several days with no electrical outlets around

how bad is the solar charging on them

can yougive me an idea for example if i would leave it in the sun for a day ( sunny day)
From everything I've read, you have to leave it in direct sunlight for many hours just to recharge it back to 50%. Almost doesn't seem worth it.

My Devices:

HTC G1
Nexus One
Nexus 4
Nexus 5

Going to buy: Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus to complete the Nexus collection.

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 832
Here is one i'm thinking of trying.

G power, power bank power modular.

power bank with 6000mAh upto 42000mAh or more, with included solar panel charger on the move.

ignore the 20 second advertising in the video.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjQzMzAwMDE2.html
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM900F
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST
Xiao Mi Piston IF Edition

Towly223
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I have a battery pack with solar...Useless I will say. Charging the pack goes quicker on direct ac than leaving it in the sun, charges extremely slow. I regret purchasing and does not even hold a charge that long.