Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,956 Members 43,284 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My Note is getting really slow

Tip us?

Magnesus
Old
(Last edited by Magnesus; 16th December 2013 at 06:08 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Default My Note is getting really slow

Recently my Note started getting very slow and sometimes lags... I clean memory and it sometimes helps for a while but most of the time it doesn't change much (although normally it uses max. 900MB anyway, so more than 1GB is free). I used trim in the past and it helped, but now it doesn't change a thing. I have 3GB free space, nothing really runs in background that could affect performance. The most lagging app seems to be Chrome (so I sometimes think maybe its newest version is the culprit), but others also lag sometimes (including the launcher).
I have a clean rom installed - normal Samsung latest update with root included, nothing fancy.

Could this be some hardware failure (flash problem maybe)? Or is it only software and I should clean the system or something? I have many things installed, but not many running. I tried using Greenify but it didn't change much.

dmarchant
Old
Thanks Meter 45

DONATE TO ME
I have had that a couple of times and normally find it is a badly behaving app. A full wipe and then just putting back the apps you really need one by one has always fixed it for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmarchant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

masondoctorjt
Old
Thanks Meter 158
If you have a custom recovery, format your cache partition. Mine got horribly slow, I formatted cache and now it is very speedy again.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to masondoctorjt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mangurian
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default How to format ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by masondoctorjt View Post
If you have a custom recovery, format your cache partition. Mine got horribly slow, I formatted cache and now it is very speedy again.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda app-developers app
How is this done ?
The Following User Says Thank You to mangurian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Magnesus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Thanks. I will try to clear cache and find out which app might be causing problems.

klau1
Old
Thanks Meter 355
try using LagFix to trim the garbage on the ssd.

Please Thanks if it helped!

Tablet:
Kernel Version:
Build number:
Modifications:

Magnesus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
I used trim before - didn't help.

By default my Note uses pegasusq governor with speeds from 25MHz to 1.7Ghz (so I suppose I have non-stardard kernel, I don't remember what I installed though).
When I switch to interactive governor it works MUCH better, but I also rise the minimum 25MHz to something higher (currently I have 225MHz as minimum) - it looks as if it sometimes can't wake completely from a very low CPU setting and gets stuck on low setting (lagging like hell)...

Or maybe my kernel is buggy - I should clean the whole tablet and start over with new ROM and a standard kernel or something... I just have too many things there to even attempt that right now and too little time.

Thanks for your help, anyway.

erica_renee
Old
Thanks Meter 506

DONATE TO ME
Default Cache files by apps

We have had two issues with one of our note tablets.. The 32 gb one seems to not have this issue.But Bonnie my spouse uses hers more then i do for social media stuff . Hers is a white original 16 gb. I know there is slight hardware differences.

1 . tablet getting super slow.
2. Storage space wrong and being taken up for no reason.

I found on a website that helped do not remember the site
Down load a app from play store called Disk usage.
Look thou the apps in the chart. You will likely find 1 or more apps using a huge amount of cache files. For our tablet its always good Plus that is the worse .
the file was almost 5 gb.
Once you find the app that is causing such a huge cache file Go into settings/ apps
then find that app and delete its Cache.

It should speed up the device and restore lost storage space.

This is a KNOWN issue . i see many ask about in the past. I just found this solution.Sorry if its already be discussed or found
They are my Nexus 7,Note 10.1 and Note 2 phone.
Get your own.Play nice and follow the rules or you WILL end up in the knob jail Cell

Magnesus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Thanks. I think this is the same problem - I got rid of the lags by freeing 3GB of space on the internal SD Card. Now it's just like new - no lags whatsoever.

Next time I will buy a tablet with at least 32GB so it will be harder to fill up.

tselling
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
Thanks. I think this is the same problem - I got rid of the lags by freeing 3GB of space on the internal SD Card. Now it's just like new - no lags whatsoever.

Next time I will buy a tablet with at least 32GB so it will be harder to fill up.
Or you could use FolderMount to move the Android folder to external sd. That tends to free up a lot of space.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
If my post helped you, please hit the Thanks button!

The Following User Says Thank You to tselling For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]