HTC GPE edition - No OS, No Recovery, only Bootloader accessible

Search This thread

ca12bon

Mar 15, 2012
New Castle
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hello,

I bricked my phone doing something quite silly... upgrading to stock firmware using OTA from custom ROM. Yes, I used to be an Iphone user, and with Iphones, a recovery would make the phone stock, no matter what state it was in previously.

Anyways, my HTC One Google play edition now has no OS, and no recovery available. I am also unable to use ADB commands to connect to the phone from my Windows 7 PC. However, if I load up my Linux CENTOS through Vmware (VMplayer), the OS recognizes the phone.

Can anyone provide details on the next steps? I don't care what version OS (stock or custom) the phone is fixed to, I just want to fix it and be able to use it again.

On a side note, I am willing to pay $100 USD (via paypal gift), to whoever can guide me through the process successfully. I can also provide remote desktop connection via Teamviewer or Cisco WebEx, if you prefer to just work on it remotely.

Thanks!
J

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
I am ... unable to use ADB commands to connect to the phone from my Windows 7 PC.

...I am willing to pay $100 USD (via paypal gift), to whoever can guide me through the process successfully.

You can keep the $100, just see if you can run fastboot getvar all and post the results here and I'm sure plenty of folks will be happy to chime in for free.

If you got adb working on windows 7, presumably you have a working install of the latest android SDK. Also you say you can get into HBOOT.

If so, you're not completely "bricked".

You should still be able to run some fastboot commands. That will be your way out.

Just to spell this out, connect the phone to your PC, boot into the bootloader, select fastboot (on the phone) and try running some of the fastboot commands (from a terminal window in the PC). Start with 'fastboot devices' to see if you are even talking. If your phone's serial number appears, proceed to 'fastboot getvar all' and post the results (edit out your imei and serial number) here.

You can do a lot from fastboot, such as flashing a fresh recovery or even an RUU.

"Brick" is a pretty extreme state. You're not bricked.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ca12bon

Mar 15, 2012
New Castle
OnePlus 8 Pro
You can keep the $100, just see if you can run fastboot getvar all and post the results here and I'm sure plenty of folks will be happy to chime in for free.

If you got adb working on windows 7, presumably you have a working install of the latest android SDK. Also you say you can get into HBOOT.

If so, you're not completely "bricked".

You should still be able to run some fastboot commands. That will be your way out.

Just to spell this out, connect the phone to your PC, boot into the bootloader, select fastboot (on the phone) and try running some of the fastboot commands (from a terminal window in the PC). Start with 'fastboot devices' to see if you are even talking. If your phone's serial number appears, proceed to 'fastboot getvar all' and post the results (edit out your imei and serial number) here.

You can do a lot from fastboot, such as flashing a fresh recovery or even an RUU.

"Brick" is a pretty extreme state. You're not bricked.

Hey man,

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. My Windows is unable to recognize the phone via ADB, so I cannot run any fastboot commands. I will go home tonight and try again for the exact readout, but I couldn't perform any commands whatsoever.

However, when using CENTOS (through vmware), the OS recognizes the phone:

[root@localhost Desktop]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0003 VMware, Inc. Virtual Mouse
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bb4:0f91 HTC (High Tech Computer Corp.)

Screenshot of HBOOT:
IMG_20140309_152530_zps8de7b531.jpg

My "main" problem, is I do not know how to get ADB/fastboot installed to my CENTOS mounted on Vmplayer. I think if I can use ADB and fastboot commands, I can push a custom recovery to my phone and install a working ROM.

Regards,
John

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
Ah, I see, yes it looks like getting the computer to recognize the phone is the main obstacle at this point.

Not an expert on Linux, but I did just run across this reminder about windows 7:

Well, being able to fastboot is crucial... next time you can just install HTC Sync which will update your drivers and then un-install it.

Do you have the latest drivers from HTC?

matanlevanon

May 26, 2010
Tel Aviv
Hey man,

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. My Windows is unable to recognize the phone via ADB, so I cannot run any fastboot commands. I will go home tonight and try again for the exact readout, but I couldn't perform any commands whatsoever.

However, when using CENTOS (through vmware), the OS recognizes the phone:

[root@localhost Desktop]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0003 VMware, Inc. Virtual Mouse
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bb4:0f91 HTC (High Tech Computer Corp.)

Screenshot of HBOOT:
IMG_20140309_152530_zps8de7b531.jpg

My "main" problem, is I do not know how to get ADB/fastboot installed to my CENTOS mounted on Vmplayer. I think if I can use ADB and fastboot commands, I can push a custom recovery to my phone and install a working ROM.

Regards,
John

Try this first:
1. install HTC Sync on your computer (this will install the latest drivers for you)
2. Create a folder in your C:\ drive naming it 'adb' or something like that.
4. Place the content of this folder (4 files) in your adb folder
5. when in bootloader hit "fastboot" (wait until all the drivers are installed on your PC, give it a good 5 min while the phone is connected and in fastboot mode) you should see at one point "fastboot usb" like in the attached photo:
RqUzYMD.jpg

6. if you don't see it, reboot your computer and try again.
7. your fastboot should work now, use the following guide to flash recovery (Section 3) and you can transfer your ROM and install it.

Use the $100 to buy your phone some nice accessories and remember me by them :D

Last edited:

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
I have often heard people recommend adding an additional step between 1) and 2) , let's call it step 1.a) uninstall the actual HTC Sync app (drivers will remain installed)

Is it still necessary?

CYNiCAL2KX

Dec 27, 2010
Hello,

I bricked my phone doing something quite silly... upgrading to stock firmware using OTA from custom ROM. Yes, I used to be an Iphone user, and with Iphones, a recovery would make the phone stock, no matter what state it was in previously.

Anyways, my HTC One Google play edition now has no OS, and no recovery available. I am also unable to use ADB commands to connect to the phone from my Windows 7 PC. However, if I load up my Linux CENTOS through Vmware (VMplayer), the OS recognizes the phone.

Can anyone provide details on the next steps? I don't care what version OS (stock or custom) the phone is fixed to, I just want to fix it and be able to use it again.

On a side note, I am willing to pay $100 USD (via paypal gift), to whoever can guide me through the process successfully. I can also provide remote desktop connection via Teamviewer or Cisco WebEx, if you prefer to just work on it remotely.

Thanks!
J
uninstall all HTC drivers and software, then try these http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2261088 drivers

ca12bon

Mar 15, 2012
New Castle
OnePlus 8 Pro
Thanks very much for the input everyone, unfortunately I forgot to bring my phone to work today, I will try out all the suggestions at home tonight.

Hope you all have a great day :)

ca12bon

Mar 15, 2012
New Castle
OnePlus 8 Pro
Okay I've tried all the methods posted above... but still having the same issue.

Although the phone had USB debugging mode enabled before I bricked it, not really sure if it's on now. Also, I read that I need to have S-OFF, but in order to do that, the phone needs to be recognized by the PC.

Anyone know how to install or download ADB to CENTOS Linux? (or any other Linux)? Since the Linux VMware OS recognizes the phone perfectly, I think that's my only chance at pushing a custom recovery and ROM to the phone.

GibMcFragger

Dec 23, 2010
Vancouver
Are you definitely in fastboot when you try to connect in windows? Also, make sure you disable any antivirus and windows firewall, as I have found them to cause connection issues.

HTC One, Unlocked, S-off, Super CID, ARHD ROM, ElementalX Kernel