[Q] Flashing a new rom clarification question

Search This thread

Eagles1181

Jul 18, 2011
When reading threads about flashing new ROMs it talks about the first boot being slow. I know the exact time will vary from ROM to ROM, but when it says slow are we talking 5 minutes, 20 minutes, an hour? Can somebody give me a general idea how long are are talking about?

Thanks

Eagle

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
When reading threads about flashing new ROMs it talks about the first boot being slow. I know the exact time will vary from ROM to ROM, but when it says slow are we talking 5 minutes, 20 minutes, an hour? Can somebody give me a general idea how long are are talking about?

Thanks

Eagle

That mainly depends on TouchWiz versus AOSP. TW definitely takes longer, maybe 5-10 minutes total, although 10 minutes is probably pushing it; AOSP just a couple of minutes, especially now that a lot of ROMs are taking advantage of devices with multiple cores to speed up boot time. In general, if your boot takes more than ten minutes, then something has gone sideways, and waiting longer isn't going to make miracles happen-I've seen people post about how they waited an hour or more hoping for something to fix itself, when clearly that isn't happening! Also, if you choose to run AOSP (far superior to TW in my opinion, emphasis on "opinion"), and you enable ART after the initial boot, the changeover does take a long time due to reconfiguring each installed app for the new runtime.

Reactions: Eagles1181

Eagles1181

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks. I was flashing a TW ROM. Good to know about the 10 minute rule of thumb. I tried an ASOP on my HTC EVO, but was not impressed. Have not tried one on my S3. Thanks for the quick answer.

Eagle

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks. I was flashing a TW ROM. Good to know about the 10 minute rule of thumb. I tried an ASOP on my HTC EVO, but was not impressed. Have not tried one on my S3. Thanks for the quick answer.

Eagle

Once you see the capacitive buttons light up you are usually in the clear and should be fully booted within a minute.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks

Eagle

That mainly depends on TouchWiz versus AOSP. TW definitely takes longer, maybe 5-10 minutes total, although 10 minutes is probably pushing it; AOSP just a couple of minutes, especially now that a lot of ROMs are taking advantage of devices with multiple cores to speed up boot time. In general, if your boot takes more than ten minutes, then something has gone sideways, and waiting longer isn't going to make miracles happen-I've seen people post about how they waited an hour or more hoping for something to fix itself, when clearly that isn't happening! Also, if you choose to run AOSP (far superior to TW in my opinion, emphasis on "opinion"), and you enable ART after the initial boot, the changeover does take a long time due to reconfiguring each installed app for the new runtime.