Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Exclamation Cracked screen? A warning about replacement LCDs.

OP ThisWasATriumph

25th February 2013, 03:50 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Detroit
Thanks Meter: 157

603 posts
More
As you may know, there are quite a few differences between the North-American/Australian and international One X models. The LCD is, unfortunately, no exception. Veterans of this forum may remember this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...d+manufacturer which pointed out that the ATT and Rogers (still not sure about Teltra) versions have LCDs manufactured by Sony, wheres the Tegra One X has a lottery of either Acer (AUO) or Sharp displays.

Now the issue here is when attempting to find a replacement screen for our model. My One X screen met a sad end in a very unfortunate set of circumstances involving butter and concrete. I found out the hard, expensive way that an AU Optronics screen will not look right installed on our devices. My screen is all washed out with the gamma calibration very wrong and sometimes loosing all red in the RGB spectrum. While this could likely be fixed with a custom kernel, sadly I doubt flar2 wants to code one for a handful of people. (possibly just me, but I have read in a few thread about other people complaining about washed out replacement screens)

Telling the difference so you don't make the same mistake I did:
Now ebay and many many other sites I have scoured in my quest to source the correct screen are a complete mess when it come to this. Most sellers do not specify what model LCD they are selling. It may not matter for the international version which they use. However, at least for me, using an AUO screen did not work out well. I have read in a few places that the Sharp display will work on all models but personally I do not want to risk it. Anyway here's how to tell the difference:

I found this handy picture on a seller's page. The correct Sony display has a yellow flex ribbon with a green portion on the inside bottom of the straight flex ribbon. This makes it very difficult to tell the difference between the AUO and Sony versions as pictures usually do not show the portion of the flex cable in question. I have found a few ebay sellers that specify that theirs is indeed the Sony green+yellow flex LCD (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Full-LCD...item48503ac38c), but none new for a reasonable price. I have yet to find a U.S. dealer that specifies the manufacturer of the LCD they are selling. I would hope that LCDs sold in the US would be the correct model but I am hesitant to possibly make the same mistake again... Exhibit A: http://www.repairsuniverse.com/htc-o...placement.html Although based in Nevada, God know which model they're selling. I may call them and see if they can find out for me as they seem to be a decent local seller. If anyone can find a source of Sony panels, please post it.

Now you maybe be thinking "Why not just buy the digitizer only?" Well the LCD and glass digitizer are optically bonded (read:glued together) and I ripped my LCD in half trying to separate them on my old shattered display. Maybe if you have a heat gun and steady hands you could manage it but personally I'd rather just buy the already glued together thing and call it a day.

So basically this is just a PSA in the hopes that no one else makes the same mistake I did.

Edit: Figured I should probably update the OP with the correct screen since we found a good source of them: http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-htc-...at-t-logo.html -tested and confirmed working by me and many others.
Last edited by ThisWasATriumph; 29th October 2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: added info
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to ThisWasATriumph For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th February 2013, 04:01 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 33

306 posts
great read, thanks
25th February 2013, 04:32 AM   |  #3  
portland oregon
Thanks Meter: 223

448 posts
More
Re: Cracked screen? A warning about replacement LCDs.
You're a gentleman and a scholar sir. I hope I never need this but may many barrels of the finest aged scotch whiskey find its way to you..

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium
25th February 2013, 06:06 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

21 posts
Thanks for that info!
25th February 2013, 06:34 AM   |  #5  
Flag Wasilla, AK
Thanks Meter: 25

60 posts
More
this very good info thanks, i think i saw on youtube someone using a blow dryer to heat up the glue on the LCD and glass digitizer to peel it off easyer
25th February 2013, 10:27 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 31

234 posts
Thank you

Send from my One XL CM10.1
25th February 2013, 04:30 PM   |  #7  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 112

911 posts
Subscribing...............
26th February 2013, 11:09 PM   |  #8  
Flag Parry Sound, canada
Thanks Meter: 286

844 posts
More
Thanks so much, broke my hox screen a few months back.

If you can find a Sony screen that'll ship to Canada, let me know.

Sent from a galaxy far^2 away.
27th February 2013, 09:18 AM   |  #9  
Flag Surrey
Thanks Meter: 16

174 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eun-Hjzjined

Thanks so much, broke my hox screen a few months back.

If you can find a Sony screen that'll ship to Canada, let me know.

Sent from a galaxy far^2 away.

I'm in Canada and I just ordered from here.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=54632670708

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
27th February 2013, 01:15 PM   |  #10  
Flag West Tennessee
Thanks Meter: 65

732 posts
More
I guess this is a crappy year for phones for me, my original grey One X gets stolen and my white One X I bought to replace it has a cracked screen now, this is very good info I will have to use this when i replace the screen on mine.

Question for anyone who has bought from that ebay seller, does the new digitizer actually say HTC on the top or ATT? hoping its HTC like the pics shows, I hate carrier branding.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cracked, lcd, replacement, screen
Previous Thread Next Thread