Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,360 Members 53,492 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cell Signal/Network Registration Loss

Tip us?

kodiak0385
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Post [Q] Cell Signal/Network Registration Loss

My problem in short: Cell signal loss
More info: It started in late November pretty suddenly. One day I was no longer getting the 2-3 bars of 4G reception I had always been getting at work, at my desk. I would either get the ‘No Service’ symbol or 1-2 bars with no E/G/4G/LTE symbol next to the bars, which (I believe) signifies I’m registered to the network and communicating with it. For the first week or two I thought maybe they were working on the tower(s) in the area and I just needed to wait it out. After 2 weeks I started searching the XDA forums for people with similar problems but didn’t see anyone with symptoms exactly like mine. I did go get a new SIM Card form an AT&T store and called CS to activate it but that changed nothing. So I’ll put all my symptoms out and hopefully one of you glorious devs can layout my best course of action House M.D. style.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Note II (SGH-i317)
Network: AT&T
Purchase Date: Nov 18, 2012 (out of warranty)
Baseband ver: I317UCUBMK6
Kernel ver: 3.0.31-2048209, se.infra@SEP-117 #1, Tue Nov 19 16:46:45 KST 2013
Build Number: JSS15J.I317UCUBMK6
SE for Android status: Enforcing, SEPF_SAMSUNG-SGH-I317_4.3_0010
IMEI/IMEISV: Both numbers are whole and match the inside sticker.

OS History: Completely stock until early Dec 2013 when I was on 4.1.2 and rooted using Odin/CWM Recovery about 2 weeks after my problems started b/c I was gonna try some of the things I read on XDA (SELinux to Passive, RIF/Modem, Repartition, ect)but before I had the chance I saw the 4.3 OTA Update was out and thought “This should at least reflash/update my modem and hopefully fix it”. NOPE, I lost root with 4.3. So now I’m on 4.3 Stock OTA and the only reason I haven’t re-rooted is because I know I’ll trip KNOX which even though I’m out of warranty already, whining to AT&T that their 4.3OTA screwed up my phone maybe still an option if any of you guys suggest it as my best option (but they could more easily refute my claim if I trip KNOX). I’ve also tried at least 5 different APN settings which made little or no difference.

Additional Symptoms:
- The problem is more a “degradation” (worsening) of the signal than a complete loss, meaning in areas where my signal was previously ‘weak’ I now get the ‘no service’ symbol OR 1-2 bars without Network Registration which still gives me the “Emergency Calls Only” message. But in areas where I usually had near perfect reception (5 bars 4GLTE) I now get usually 1-2 bars less.
- There are times at work (usually when I’m one of the last ones on the floor) when my signal will fluctuate to a 3-4 bar 4G connection for a few minutes and then back down to ‘No Service’.(Which indicated to me that it isn’t a bad antenna since a good reception IS possible and the problem is likely software related.) Also my cubicle mate a has an AT&T iPhone 5 that consistently gets 3 bars of 4G and his phone is 5ft away from mine.
- If I go to About Device>Status and watch my ‘Signal Strength’ without moving my phone it will fluctuate from -95dBm 7asu to -113dBm 0 asu.
- I’ve made a successful call(although it took forever to connect the call and start ringing, as if it were struggling) while my signal was -105dBm and 5asu with “Mobile Network Type: Unknown” “Service State: In Service” “Mobile Network State: Disconnected” with one bar of service but w/o any type of connection type designator next to the bars(E/G/4G/etc).
- Sometimes when I leave work or someplace that I have had poor/no connection and get closer to a cell tower, my signal bars will go as high as 5 bars but my phone still won’t make a call or show a connection type designator (4G/LTE/Etc.) next to the bars and gives me the “Emergency Calls Only” message until I either restart the phone or wait.
- When I’m at home and connected to my WiFi my phone seems to make no attempt to stay connected to the Cell Network even though I have 4-5 bars of service it shows no type of 4G/LTE connection unless I turn off WiFi.
- I should say that I use an app that takes frequent screenshots which are stored on the phone’s storage until I erase them. (up to 300-500 @ about 1MB each) I’ve read pushing/pulling lots of data to/from your device’s storage can cause partition problems and I imagine creating/deleting large amounts of data as I’m doing could have the same effect.
- Also if I’m sent a voicemail while without service I still won’t immediately get it when I my phone regains a decent connection and have gotten voicemails up to 2 hrs after they were left.

From what I’ve read on the forums so far I have seen the following options but would like a recommendation on what to do and what order to do them in. (I have no worries about tripping KNOX if it means getting the phones cell reception back to normal. I’ve had the phone >1yr anyway.)

- Root (which method?)
- Unlock bootloader
- RIF (Radio/Modem Reflash?)
- Re-partition the device storage
- Set SELinux to Passive
- Enable AWS (T-mobile 3g/4g)
- Install Custom ROM (suggestions?)
- EFS file something or other

Thanks in advance and I’ve included a few screenshots of the About Device>Status screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5bars no service.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	2565357   Click image for larger version

Name:	At work.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	2565358  

dicksteele
Old
Thanks Meter 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak0385 View Post
My problem in short: Cell signal loss
More info: It started in late November pretty suddenly. One day I was no longer getting the 2-3 bars of 4G reception I had always been getting at work, at my desk. I would either get the ‘No Service’ symbol or 1-2 bars with no E/G/4G/LTE symbol next to the bars, which (I believe) signifies I’m registered to the network and communicating with it. For the first week or two I thought maybe they were working on the tower(s) in the area and I just needed to wait it out. After 2 weeks I started searching the XDA forums for people with similar problems but didn’t see anyone with symptoms exactly like mine. I did go get a new SIM Card form an AT&T store and called CS to activate it but that changed nothing. So I’ll put all my symptoms out and hopefully one of you glorious devs can layout my best course of action House M.D. style.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Note II (SGH-i317)
Network: AT&T
Purchase Date: Nov 18, 2012 (out of warranty)
Baseband ver: I317UCUBMK6
Kernel ver: 3.0.31-2048209, se.infra@SEP-117 #1, Tue Nov 19 16:46:45 KST 2013
Build Number: JSS15J.I317UCUBMK6
SE for Android status: Enforcing, SEPF_SAMSUNG-SGH-I317_4.3_0010
IMEI/IMEISV: Both numbers are whole and match the inside sticker.

OS History: Completely stock until early Dec 2013 when I was on 4.1.2 and rooted using Odin/CWM Recovery about 2 weeks after my problems started b/c I was gonna try some of the things I read on XDA (SELinux to Passive, RIF/Modem, Repartition, ect)but before I had the chance I saw the 4.3 OTA Update was out and thought “This should at least reflash/update my modem and hopefully fix it”. NOPE, I lost root with 4.3. So now I’m on 4.3 Stock OTA and the only reason I haven’t re-rooted is because I know I’ll trip KNOX which even though I’m out of warranty already, whining to AT&T that their 4.3OTA screwed up my phone maybe still an option if any of you guys suggest it as my best option (but they could more easily refute my claim if I trip KNOX). I’ve also tried at least 5 different APN settings which made little or no difference.

Additional Symptoms:
- The problem is more a “degradation” (worsening) of the signal than a complete loss, meaning in areas where my signal was previously ‘weak’ I now get the ‘no service’ symbol OR 1-2 bars without Network Registration which still gives me the “Emergency Calls Only” message. But in areas where I usually had near perfect reception (5 bars 4GLTE) I now get usually 1-2 bars less.
- There are times at work (usually when I’m one of the last ones on the floor) when my signal will fluctuate to a 3-4 bar 4G connection for a few minutes and then back down to ‘No Service’.(Which indicated to me that it isn’t a bad antenna since a good reception IS possible and the problem is likely software related.) Also my cubicle mate a has an AT&T iPhone 5 that consistently gets 3 bars of 4G and his phone is 5ft away from mine.
- If I go to About Device>Status and watch my ‘Signal Strength’ without moving my phone it will fluctuate from -95dBm 7asu to -113dBm 0 asu.
- I’ve made a successful call(although it took forever to connect the call and start ringing, as if it were struggling) while my signal was -105dBm and 5asu with “Mobile Network Type: Unknown” “Service State: In Service” “Mobile Network State: Disconnected” with one bar of service but w/o any type of connection type designator next to the bars(E/G/4G/etc).
- Sometimes when I leave work or someplace that I have had poor/no connection and get closer to a cell tower, my signal bars will go as high as 5 bars but my phone still won’t make a call or show a connection type designator (4G/LTE/Etc.) next to the bars and gives me the “Emergency Calls Only” message until I either restart the phone or wait.
- When I’m at home and connected to my WiFi my phone seems to make no attempt to stay connected to the Cell Network even though I have 4-5 bars of service it shows no type of 4G/LTE connection unless I turn off WiFi.
- I should say that I use an app that takes frequent screenshots which are stored on the phone’s storage until I erase them. (up to 300-500 @ about 1MB each) I’ve read pushing/pulling lots of data to/from your device’s storage can cause partition problems and I imagine creating/deleting large amounts of data as I’m doing could have the same effect.
- Also if I’m sent a voicemail while without service I still won’t immediately get it when I my phone regains a decent connection and have gotten voicemails up to 2 hrs after they were left.

From what I’ve read on the forums so far I have seen the following options but would like a recommendation on what to do and what order to do them in. (I have no worries about tripping KNOX if it means getting the phones cell reception back to normal. I’ve had the phone >1yr anyway.)

- Root (which method?)
- Unlock bootloader
- Set SELinux to Passive

Thanks in advance and I’ve included a few screenshots of the About Device>Status screen.
Very impressive. A model for future help.

- Root (which method?)
*[HOWTO] [SGH-I317/M] CF-Auto-Root v1.0....developed by Chainfire*
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1980644
**** No need to try yet.

- Unlock bootloader
Not an option, it is not available

#1 to try
http://d-h.st/WTp
CWM AT&T i317 UCUBMK6 Stock *Modem* Note 2

Need custom recovery to flash.

INSTALLING TWRP 2.6.3.1

- Run Odin3 v3.07.exe

Download Link http://www.mediafire.com/download/77...x2/Odin307.zip

- Put your Note 2 in Download Mode

Entering download mode is very simple. First you will need to turn off your device. Once it’s off, you need to press this button combination: volume down, power button and home button. Keep them pressed until the download mode shows up. Once you’re there, you will be required to press volume up to enter the download mode or volume down to cancel and reboot the device.

Plug into a RELIABLE usb port and a RELIABLE usb cable (preferably the white Samsung cable) and wait for it to show up in Odin (COM5 or something like that)

- Click the PDA slot in Odin and locate the openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-t0lteatt.img.tar that you downloaded.
The filename that goes into the PDA Slot is openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-t0lteatt.img.tar

MAKE SURE IN THE OPTION AREA ONLY AUTO REBOOT AND F.RESET TIME ARE CHECKED!!!

- Click START and wait. It will complete and reboot.

Extreme at this point

- Set SELinux to Passive
This will keep Knox quiet after rooting.
No need at this time

You're on ATT correct ????

Many choices. Depends what you are looking for

Another extreme option. Hold off

Give modem flash a shot.

Here's another thing to check
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2172110
Please get out of my Van Halen t-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dicksteele For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kodiak0385
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksteele View Post
Very impressive. A model for future help.

- Root (which method?)
*[HOWTO] [SGH-I317/M] CF-Auto-Root v1.0....developed by Chainfire*
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1980644
**** No need to try yet.

- Unlock bootloader
Not an option, it is not available

#1 to try
http://d-h.st/WTp
CWM AT&T i317 UCUBMK6 Stock *Modem* Note 2

Need custom recovery to flash.

INSTALLING TWRP 2.6.3.1

- Run Odin3 v3.07.exe

Download Link http://www.mediafire.com/download/77...x2/Odin307.zip

- Put your Note 2 in Download Mode

Entering download mode is very simple. First you will need to turn off your device. Once it’s off, you need to press this button combination: volume down, power button and home button. Keep them pressed until the download mode shows up. Once you’re there, you will be required to press volume up to enter the download mode or volume down to cancel and reboot the device.

Plug into a RELIABLE usb port and a RELIABLE usb cable (preferably the white Samsung cable) and wait for it to show up in Odin (COM5 or something like that)

- Click the PDA slot in Odin and locate the openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-t0lteatt.img.tar that you downloaded.
The filename that goes into the PDA Slot is openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-t0lteatt.img.tar

MAKE SURE IN THE OPTION AREA ONLY AUTO REBOOT AND F.RESET TIME ARE CHECKED!!!

- Click START and wait. It will complete and reboot.

Extreme at this point

- Set SELinux to Passive
This will keep Knox quiet after rooting.
No need at this time

You're on ATT correct ????

Many choices. Depends what you are looking for

Another extreme option. Hold off

Give modem flash a shot.

Here's another thing to check
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
Thank you for your quick response and sorry I've taken so long to come back.

So I installed TWRP per the instructions and installed the app as well. When i tried to use TWRP to flash/install the .zip package for the modem using TWRP it either doesnt work or is interupted by the phone booting into CWM Recovery. I also atempted to flash using CWM Recovery and the "install from external" option but it the process ends in an error as follows:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

So as my phone sits now, I have both Busybox and SuperUser apps installed. Both TWRP AND CWM Recovery installed (should i get rid of something? so they aren't 'stepping on each other',and how would i do that. And im pretty sure i tripped KNOX somewhere along the way b/c it's reading as 1(I was out of warranty anyway).

I'm willing to do anything and everything to this phone if it gets my modem/radio working 100% again.

Also, what is the best method/app/storage location to create a fail safe/backup in case i brick my phone somewhere along the way due to my inexperience?

Thanks in advance.

dicksteele
Old
(Last edited by dicksteele; 20th February 2014 at 05:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1161
Quote:
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
Thank you for your quick response and sorry I've taken so long to come back.

So I installed TWRP per the instructions and installed the app as well. When i tried to use TWRP to flash/install the .zip package for the modem using TWRP it either doesnt work or is interupted by the phone booting into CWM Recovery. I also atempted to flash using CWM Recovery and the "install from external" option but it the process ends in an error as follows:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

So as my phone sits now, I have both Busybox and SuperUser apps installed. Both TWRP AND CWM Recovery installed (should i get rid of something? so they aren't 'stepping on each other',and how would i do that. And im pretty sure i tripped KNOX somewhere along the way b/c it's reading as 1(I was out of warranty anyway).

I'm willing to do anything and everything to this phone if it gets my modem/radio working 100% again.

Also, what is the best method/app/storage location to create a fail safe/backup in case i brick my phone somewhere along the way due to my inexperience?

Thanks in advance.
You can only have one installed at a time, either TWRP or CWM. They both install a recovery.img. If you install TWRP, and then install CWM. TWRP gets over written.

Both are good custom recovery. It comes down to personal preference when using it. Both are touch capable.

Both have backup capabilites.

I think TWRP is a good starter. Here's a good guide to review.
http://www.addictivetips.com/android...devices-guide/

It's an older version but good info. It also shows how to do a backup. It's good to backup to the external SDCARD. That way you can copy the TWRP directory to your PC and save backups "offline".

I have TWRP version 2.6.3.1 installed on my phone. I'm going to try and flash the modem. You may have just gotten a corrupt download.

EDIT: I just flashed that modem zip file through TWRP and it was successful.
Please get out of my Van Halen t-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up....
The Following User Says Thank You to dicksteele For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kodiak0385
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So the modem flashed successfully (using TWRP) but the signal didn't improve. If the phone would just stay registered to the cell tower it's getting a signal from that would be a step in the right direction but not only does the signal strength fluctuate, network registration is an issue as well so unless the stars align my phone is useless. So what should i try next? different modem? If I do everything i can to eliminate a sotware problem i have no problem trying to replace the modem/radio/antenna but i've read those parts are hard to find since its a rare hardware problem. TIA

dicksteele
Old
Thanks Meter 1161
Quote:
So the modem flashed successfully (using TWRP) but the signal didn't improve. If the phone would just stay registered to the cell tower it's getting a signal from that would be a step in the right direction but not only does the signal strength fluctuate, network registration is an issue as well so unless the stars align my phone is useless. So what should i try next? different modem? If I do everything i can to eliminate a sotware problem i have no problem trying to replace the modem/radio/antenna but i've read those parts are hard to find since its a rare hardware problem. TIA
This is easier than what you've done so far.

Go here. ...

[How To][Guide] Att Apn List

You're going to add another cell network connection. How to do that is on the top on first post.

The first one is what you should be on. The default.

Try adding in the second one. The LTE. Let's see what that does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to dicksteele For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kodiak0385
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks. I tried all 6 different APN's and no change. I did this before i flashed the modem as well and it didn't make a difference then either. Whats next?

I'm experiencing signal degredation at home now. When the phone was new I always had 5 bars LTE (i must live near a tower) and then when the troubles started in Nov. it went down to 4 bars and now in this past week it been 2-4 bars of just 4G.

dicksteele
Old
Thanks Meter 1161
Quote:
Thanks. I tried all 6 different APN's and no change. I did this before i flashed the modem as well and it didn't make a difference then either. Whats next?

I'm experiencing signal degredation at home now. When the phone was new I always had 5 bars LTE (i must live near a tower) and then when the troubles started in Nov. it went down to 4 bars and now in this past week it been 2-4 bars of just 4G.
Running out of options in my head. Try this app and see what network connection is doing. Just ran across is cleaning up my crap.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....networkwidget

I just tried it and but info is over my head. Pretty much.
It's a widget. Pop on home screen. Then press widget. Window pops up and a tab says my network info.

So are you experiencing any issues besides noticing the bars aren't as strong?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Zen Arcade
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3194

DONATE TO ME
Here are a couple other apps you can try that may help track down signal quality and external factors (like tower changes in your area):

Network Signal Info - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.telnet

^^Has a pro version as well with a supposedly better database of cell towers

Open Signal - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...se3.opensignal

^^Has a map of cell towers as well as a crowdsourced map of coverage quality by carrier
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zen Arcade For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alfalfa1616
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am experiencing the exact same symptoms mentioned by kodiak0385 but on the Rogers network using the Canadian I317M version. Unless I am well within 1000 feet from a tower my phone wont grab LTE speeds. More than a 3000 feet and I lose all signal whatsoever.

My phone was network unlocked using the service menu 6 months ago with no issues until now. Was using carbon 4.3 Rom for 2 months when the problem began.

Tried flashing all three rogers modems.
Changed APNs.
Reverted to stock Rogers 4.1, 4.2 and now on 4.3 with same problem.
Changed SIM card.
Tried opening up phone to clean antennae contacts with compressed air.

Nothing has worked.

I don't know what else to try before sending it in to a repair shop. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!