The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Upgrade to KitKat via OTA or flash through Odin? Any difference?

OP drdoombot

5th June 2014, 01:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
134 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Any reason to choose one method over the other?

I'm running rooted stock 4.3 (MK1) on SM-P600 and I've done a nandroid backup in TWRP (which I'm assuming I can restore if I don't like KK).
5th June 2014, 01:53 AM   |  #2  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,629
 
5,448 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoombot

Any reason to choose one method over the other?

I'm running rooted stock 4.3 (MK1) on SM-P600 and I've done a nandroid backup in TWRP (which I'm assuming I can restore if I don't like KK).

Odin is clean install (wipe everything flash a fresh O/S). OTA is upgrade or dirty flash, you still able to keep your setup and all your installed apps. If your phone is running smooth without any issue then OTA should be fine. If you have weird issues, then Odin is recommended. I see you already have TWRP and probably already rooted that means you can not use OTA method and if you use Odin you will wipe out everything including TWRP, root, your setup all the download apps, system/user data and so on. Your phone will be like a new one. This bring us to the point that you will NOT able to restore 4.3 (you will need to reflash TWRP and so on..) and we have mix reports about once you on Kitkat it's not possible to flash back 4.3 due to different bootloader.
Last edited by buhohitr; 5th June 2014 at 01:56 AM.
5th June 2014, 02:50 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 49
 
566 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

Odin is clean install (wipe everything flash a fresh O/S). OTA is upgrade or dirty flash, you still able to keep your setup and all your installed apps. If your phone is running smooth without any issue then OTA should be fine. If you have weird issues, then Odin is recommended. I see you already have TWRP and probably already rooted that means you can not use OTA method and if you use Odin you will wipe out everything including TWRP, root, your setup all the download apps, system/user data and so on. Your phone will be like a new one. This bring us to the point that you will NOT able to restore 4.3 (you will need to reflash TWRP and so on..) and we have mix reports about once you on Kitkat it's not possible to flash back 4.3 due to different bootloader.

I updated via Odin and it was a dirty flash and everything works fine. I can still create a folder on the external sd and copy a file from the internal sd to the folder that I created on the external sd.

Regards

colin
6th June 2014, 09:50 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Lampang, Thailand
Thanks Meter: 57
 
141 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by colint3

I updated via Odin and it was a dirty flash and everything works fine. I can still create a folder on the external sd and copy a file from the internal sd to the folder that I created on the external sd.

Regards

colin

The same for me, but I had to root it again. The root was lost, but everything alse working fine. ( I have sm-p601)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes