Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,320 Members 38,073 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upgrade to KitKat via OTA or flash through Odin? Any difference?

Tip us?

drdoombot
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Upgrade to KitKat via OTA or flash through Odin? Any difference?

Any reason to choose one method over the other?

I'm running rooted stock 4.3 (MK1) on SM-P600 and I've done a nandroid backup in TWRP (which I'm assuming I can restore if I don't like KK).

buhohitr
Old
(Last edited by buhohitr; 5th June 2014 at 12:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoombot View Post
Any reason to choose one method over the other?

I'm running rooted stock 4.3 (MK1) on SM-P600 and I've done a nandroid backup in TWRP (which I'm assuming I can restore if I don't like KK).
Odin is clean install (wipe everything flash a fresh O/S). OTA is upgrade or dirty flash, you still able to keep your setup and all your installed apps. If your phone is running smooth without any issue then OTA should be fine. If you have weird issues, then Odin is recommended. I see you already have TWRP and probably already rooted that means you can not use OTA method and if you use Odin you will wipe out everything including TWRP, root, your setup all the download apps, system/user data and so on. Your phone will be like a new one. This bring us to the point that you will NOT able to restore 4.3 (you will need to reflash TWRP and so on..) and we have mix reports about once you on Kitkat it's not possible to flash back 4.3 due to different bootloader.

colint3
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr View Post
Odin is clean install (wipe everything flash a fresh O/S). OTA is upgrade or dirty flash, you still able to keep your setup and all your installed apps. If your phone is running smooth without any issue then OTA should be fine. If you have weird issues, then Odin is recommended. I see you already have TWRP and probably already rooted that means you can not use OTA method and if you use Odin you will wipe out everything including TWRP, root, your setup all the download apps, system/user data and so on. Your phone will be like a new one. This bring us to the point that you will NOT able to restore 4.3 (you will need to reflash TWRP and so on..) and we have mix reports about once you on Kitkat it's not possible to flash back 4.3 due to different bootloader.
I updated via Odin and it was a dirty flash and everything works fine. I can still create a folder on the external sd and copy a file from the internal sd to the folder that I created on the external sd.

Regards

colin

pippone121263
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by colint3 View Post
I updated via Odin and it was a dirty flash and everything works fine. I can still create a folder on the external sd and copy a file from the internal sd to the folder that I created on the external sd.

Regards

colin
The same for me, but I had to root it again. The root was lost, but everything alse working fine. ( I have sm-p601)