Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,899 Members 49,000 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root? FAIL: Problems with Kernel and Recovery

Tip us?

KoolCharisma
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question Root? FAIL: Problems with Kernel and Recovery

Hey guys, I don't post here often, but I'm not new to this. It was through this forum that I first started rooting with mfy s3.

I just got a note 3 through Sprint. I've gotten used to getting off the grid, so I immediately jumped to root it. I decided on Jellybomb after reading some reviews. Then I downloaded everything necessary to make the jump: Odin, 1.85 and 3.09, jellybomb, cwm 6.0, twrp 7, auto-root, and the original roms in case I had to hop back.

First I went with Chainfires auto-root. I didn't seem to have any problem flashing that. The problem came with flashing twrp and the new rom. I can't remember which one was giving me trouble (I've been fighting it almost a week now). Somehow some way the phone has been stuck in an autoboot that says "seandroid not enforcing" and either "warranty bit: recovery" or "warranty bit: kernel". I tried new kernels. I tried things in different order. I can get into recovery but only after going immediately after autoroot. Even there you have a broken android.

Please help. I've been without a phone for a week.
The Following User Says Thank You to KoolCharisma For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

micmars
Old
Thanks Meter 9449
@KoolCharisma, first off, you're not in bad shape at all.

Let's start your weekend with this in your rear view mirror. What rom was on your phone prior to doing any of this, Jellybean MJ4, or KitKat NAB?

Knowing the above will dictate how you get to where ya want to be...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
"...dismiss whatever insults your own soul." - Whitman
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them." - Louis CK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to micmars For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KoolCharisma
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thumbs up Alright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmars View Post
@KoolCharisma, first off, you're not in bad shape at all.

Let's start your weekend with this in your rear view mirror. What rom was on your phone prior to doing any of this, Jellybean MJ4, or KitKat NAB?

Knowing the above will dictate how you get to where ya want to be...

Thanks for the help! I have a girlfriend, who is very upset with me, because she thinks I was very irresponsible to break it.

Ok, the phone originally came with Jellybean, but three days later, it did a system upgrade and I got kitkat.

It's possible maybe JellyBomb just wasn't designed for kitkat? I didn't see anything to suggest that.

The order of things was:

1: I used the autoroot or Odin to flash a new Recovery. Unfortunately I can't remember which.

2. The second was whatever I didn't do the first time.

3. From that point I tried to use the recovery to instal JellyBomb and as far as I could tell, it worked.

4. Reboot. Now it's stuck in a loop. it either kicks up the seandroid enforcing warranty: kernell. Or "" recovery.

5. I can get it into recovery by running a second autoroot, but it won't let me successfully install a ROM.

6. I can also go into download mode, but ODIN says fail on everything accept installing the autoroot.

7. I've gone ahead and tried going back to stock, but the tars are flawed or something.

So to summarize it, I've been running in circles and I'm starting to sort of loose track of what I've tried or what else I could try. I simply don't have the money to buy another $700 phone.

micmars
Old
Thanks Meter 9449
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolCharisma View Post
Thanks for the help! I have a girlfriend, who is very upset with me, because she thinks I was very irresponsible to break it.

Ok, the phone originally came with Jellybean, but three days later, it did a system upgrade and I got kitkat.

It's possible maybe JellyBomb just wasn't designed for kitkat? I didn't see anything to suggest that.

The order of things was:

1: I used the autoroot or Odin to flash a new Recovery. Unfortunately I can't remember which.

2. The second was whatever I didn't do the first time.

3. From that point I tried to use the recovery to instal JellyBomb and as far as I could tell, it worked.

4. Reboot. Now it's stuck in a loop. it either kicks up the seandroid enforcing warranty: kernell. Or "" recovery.

5. I can get it into recovery by running a second autoroot, but it won't let me successfully install a ROM.

6. I can also go into download mode, but ODIN says fail on everything accept installing the autoroot.

7. I've gone ahead and tried going back to stock, but the tars are flawed or something.

So to summarize it, I've been running in circles and I'm starting to sort of loose track of what I've tried or what else I could try. I simply don't have the money to buy another $700 phone.
You're girlfriend has a point, as the above is circuitous.

Now, download either the One-Click here, or stock tar here, flash either the one-click from it's own package (It contains an EXE file that does the entire restore for you) or the tar from PC Odin, and when complete, meet me back here.

While that's happening, download this NABD update zip here (it's a small file in the bottom of he OP, look for it and grab it from freeza's thread I just linked, and put it on your PC (it will eventually reside on your external SD, but you're not putting it there until you're back to stock). Do NOT flash recovery or root until you respond. And please quote this message, as I'll get an email when you do.

Then grab this recovery file (it'll go on your PC), this latest TWRP for KitKat V 2.7.0.0, and this SU 1.93 for our phone, just in case you need it (the latter will go on your phone). I am giving you choices. All of this should take no more than 20 minutes, planning included.

Write back if you need help.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to micmars For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KoolCharisma
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Right On!

Quote:
You're girlfriend has a point, as the above is circuitous.

Now, download either the One-Click here, or stock tar here, flash either the one-click from it's own package (It contains an EXE file that does the entire restore for you) or the tar from PC Odin, and when complete, meet me back here.

While that's happening, download this NABD update zip here (it's a small file in the bottom of he OP, look for it and grab it from freeza's thread I just linked, and put it on your PC (it will eventually reside on your external SD, but you're not putting it there until you're back to stock). Do NOT flash recovery or root until you respond. And please quote this message, as I'll get an email when you do.

Then grab this recovery file (it'll go on your PC), this latest TWRP for KitKat V 2.7.0.0, and this SU 1.93 for our phone, just in case you need it (the latter will go on your phone). I am giving you choices. All of this should take no more than 20 minutes, planning included.

Write back if you need help.

Good luck!
You've given me hope. I got everything I need here and I'm definitely seeing some new pieces that have been missing from the process thus far. So this returns me to stock, got it, but with the addition of SU and TWRP, does that open the choice up to root/and or flash other ROMS? I'm almost scared to fool with it now, but I definitely don't want to go to stock.

NAB file seems like it may take 12 hours to install, so unfortunately I can't give you immediate results. At least I'm not stuck with the same old pattern and expecting different results.

What ROM are you running?

micmars
Old
Thanks Meter 9449
Quote:
You've given me hope. I got everything I need here and I'm definitely seeing some new pieces that have been missing from the process thus far. So this returns me to stock, got it, but with the addition of SU and TWRP, does that open the choice up to root/and or flash other ROMS? I'm almost scared to fool with it now, but I definitely don't want to go to stock.

NAB file seems like it may take 12 hours to install, so unfortunately I can't give you immediate results. At least I'm not stuck with the same old pattern and expecting different results.

What ROM are you running?
Do not worry about the rom I'm running.

There's no reason for this to take long.

Flashing the one-click or tar?

The Following User Says Thank You to micmars For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KoolCharisma
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default It got worse

Just when things were looking up, the situation changed. Now it will only give me the "seandroid not enforcing warranty bit: recovery" message. From there it just cycles it will not allow the EXE file to recognize the phone nor can Odin see it. I assume of course because I can't get it into download mode.

So I'm really confused now. A few hours ago I had access to a broken recovery and a download mode that wasn't working. Now It seems I lost access to both. What gives?

KoolCharisma
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Talking WE GOT IT!!!

Quote:
Just when things were looking up, the situation changed. Now it will only give me the "seandroid not enforcing warranty bit: recovery" message. From there it just cycles it will not allow the EXE file to recognize the phone nor can Odin see it. I assume of course because I can't get it into download mode.

So I'm really confused now. A few hours ago I had access to a broken recovery and a download mode that wasn't working. Now It seems I lost access to both. What gives?
I scoured all over this sight and online and didn't see mention of this app anywhere. Now You've fixed it!

So where do we go from here? I'm a big nervous going for a root a second time, but I simply can't use stock anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to KoolCharisma For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

micmars
Old
Thanks Meter 9449
Quote:
I scoured all over this sight and online and didn't see mention of this app anywhere. Now You've fixed it!

So where do we go from here? I'm a big nervous going for a root a second time, but I simply can't use stock anymore.
Dude, you have to quote me or I'm not going to get realtime updates on your progress.

OK, so you have a working stock rom?

If yes, plug your phone into your computer, dump the NABD update file I gave you into into your SD card, and put the root file I gave you onto your phone's internal memory.

Now, power off your phone.

Boot into stock recovery (you'll get there, you may encounter recovery loops, don't panic, it's perfectly normal, just be patient, hold power + home plus volume up), you should be in stock recovery.

Now using the volume keys, navigate to apply update zip from external SD. Hit home to select, then navigate to the NABD zip file you copied. Install it.

After that, you're on NABD stock.

Next step is to install custom recovery.

After booting your phone on stock, skip past the setup screens, and just let the phone do its garbage setup, then reboot for good measure, then power off.

Now, open PC Odin (run as administrator from Windows), and put the TWRP file I gave you into the PDA slot.

Now, take off the casing, and hold the phone in your hand, have your fingers at the ready to hold volume up + home, don't do it, just be ready. Now put the phone in download mode (home + volume down + power). Plug the phone into the same USB port on your phone that you used to copy the files onto it.

Ready, hit start on Odin. That recovery file flashes in like 5 seconds. The moment it finishes flashing and begins to power cycle, hit those keys (volume up + home), and you're in TWRP.

From TWRP, navigate to the place on your SD card where you put the superuser zip, and flash it.

You now have a rooted phone with working recovery. From here you can do whatever you want.

Good luck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to micmars For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KoolCharisma
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Storage NABD

Quote:
Dude, you have to quote me or I'm not going to get realtime updates on your progress.

OK, so you have a working stock rom?

If yes, plug your phone into your computer, dump the NABD update file I gave you into into your SD card, and put the root file I gave you onto your phone's internal memory.

Now, power off your phone.

Boot into stock recovery (you'll get there, you may encounter recovery loops, don't panic, it's perfectly normal, just be patient, hold power + home plus volume up), you should be in stock recovery.

Now using the volume keys, navigate to apply update zip from external SD. Hit home to select, then navigate to the NABD zip file you copied. Install it.

After that, you're on NABD stock.

Next step is to install custom recovery.

After booting your phone on stock, skip past the setup screens, and just let the phone do its garbage setup, then reboot for good measure, then power off.

Now, open PC Odin (run as administrator from Windows), and put the TWRP file I gave you into the PDA slot.

Now, take off the casing, and hold the phone in your hand, have your fingers at the ready to hold volume up + home, don't do it, just be ready. Now put the phone in download mode (home + volume down + power). Plug the phone into the same USB port on your phone that you used to copy the files onto it.

Ready, hit start on Odin. That recovery file flashes in like 5 seconds. The moment it finishes flashing and begins to power cycle, hit those keys (volume up + home), and you're in TWRP.

From TWRP, navigate to the place on your SD card where you put the superuser zip, and flash it.

You now have a rooted phone with working recovery. From here you can do whatever you want.

Good luck!

Trying now to go From NAB to NABD. I'm doing it in stock recovery. First off I realized that When it first pulls into recovery, the broken Android comes up. It let me navigate to install NABD and seems to reach the very end of installation but then it stops at "patching modem.bin img". nothing appears broken, but I'm I'm afraid to unplug it or to try and boot it back into stock.