Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,836 Members 43,782 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tmobile newbie

Tip us?

orateam
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Default Tmobile newbie

Just purchased this phone off craigslist. Currently have another S4 (verizon) which i was lucky enough to not have upgraded since a push by verizon locked out the ability to put a custom recovery. I'm just wondering if Tmobile has such an issue. Can i install a recovery regardless of my current version? Any limitiations to allowing OTA?

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by orateam View Post
Just purchased this phone off craigslist. Currently have another S4 (verizon) which i was lucky enough to not have upgraded since a push by verizon locked out the ability to put a custom recovery. I'm just wondering if Tmobile has such an issue. Can i install a recovery regardless of my current version? Any limitiations to allowing OTA?
You can install custom recovery on all versions. The T Mobile bootloader is not locked. (That's the problem on the Verizon model, though I think developers found a sollution to that)

However, installing a custom recovery will prevent you from being able to accept the next OTA. You would have to update manually or revert to stock prior to accepting the OTA.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!

orateam
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
You can install custom recovery on all versions. The T Mobile bootloader is not locked. (That's the problem on the Verizon model, though I think developers found a sollution to that)

However, installing a custom recovery will prevent you from being able to accept the next OTA. You would have to update manually or revert to stock prior to accepting the OTA.
Thank you. I can flash with confidence. They never unlocked the bootloader on verizon. There is a safestrap, but it only allows TW roms