Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,300 Members 53,347 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] "daughterboard" issue

Tip us?
 
m@h
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: May 2013
Default [Q] "daughterboard" issue

Hi all,

I recently damaged the micro usb socket on my Nexus 7 2013, which stopped it from charging. After some searching I found a replacement pcb (daughterboard / lower motherboard pcb) from Asus parts. I fitted the board and the tablet will now charge. Unfortunately the touchscreen is now completely unresponsive!

At first I thought I had damaged the digitizer or ribbon cable in the disassembly process, but to check I re-fitted the damaged board. The touchscreen worked again!

So I now wonder if there is some issue with swapping boards on the Nexus 7 2013. I checked the part number etc of both boards and they are identical. So I'm confused as to why this problem has occurred.

Does anyone know about this issue and how I can resolve it please? I have been very careful in swapping out the parts and cannot see any damage to any components.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
dottat
Old
#2  
dottat's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 746
Posts: 1,905
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: york, pa

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@h View Post
Hi all,

I recently damaged the micro usb socket on my Nexus 7 2013, which stopped it from charging. After some searching I found a replacement pcb (daughterboard / lower motherboard pcb) from Asus parts. I fitted the board and the tablet will now charge. Unfortunately the touchscreen is now completely unresponsive!

At first I thought I had damaged the digitizer or ribbon cable in the disassembly process, but to check I re-fitted the damaged board. The touchscreen worked again!

So I now wonder if there is some issue with swapping boards on the Nexus 7 2013. I checked the part number etc of both boards and they are identical. So I'm confused as to why this problem has occurred.

Does anyone know about this issue and how I can resolve it please? I have been very careful in swapping out the parts and cannot see any damage to any components.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
So does the screen work or not? You probably just had it temporarily not detected by the system. Had you tried holding the power button for a minute to force a reboot?? Probably would have worked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
m@h
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat View Post
So does the screen work or not? You probably just had it temporarily not detected by the system. Had you tried holding the power button for a minute to force a reboot?? Probably would have worked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks dottat, but that does not seem to cure the problem. It's a weird one. The screen is on and displaying as usual, just no response from digitizer. Do you think it is possible that the board is simply faulty? It seems unlikely seeing as it will allow the Nexus to charge, power on etc. Asus parts have agreed to send me another in the meantime so I will report back when it arrives.
 
m@h
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: May 2013
Ok so the new board arrived today, fitted it with no issues but unfortunately the problem still persists. It is strange that the touchscreen works with the original board, there must be something I'm missing!
 
plznote
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 73
Posts: 298
Join Date: Jun 2011
I know this isn't a solution to the current problem, but how about a wireless charger?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
 
m@h
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by plznote View Post
I know this isn't a solution to the current problem, but how about a wireless charger?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
I took a risk last night and removed the damaged micro sd socket from the original board and replaced it with the good one from the new board. The tablet will charge now and the touchscreen is working, although it is very unpredictable, think I may have damaged the ribbon cable terminals on the board from too much swapping over.

I really need to get the new board working so I can make sure it is just the board at fault, so I know I haven't damaged the digitizer or its ribbon cable.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes