Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,698 Members 49,369 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][HOW-TO][WIP] How To Root/S-Off/Recovery/&FirmwareUpdate On Your DNA

Tip us?

24ky
Old
(Last edited by 24ky; 12th March 2014 at 06:48 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1177

DONATE TO ME
Default [GUIDE][HOW-TO][WIP] How To Root/S-Off/Recovery/&FirmwareUpdate On Your DNA

24ky's How-To Guide For Beginners
HTC Droid DNA ( DLX )

This thread will serve as a location for basic how-to guides for the HTC Droid DNA (dlx). I'm going to start off with a couple of the more obvious ones and go from there. If anyone has any suggestions for additions please feel free to let me know.

Please note: you'll need a working adb/fastboot environment on your PC to get through some of these guides. There are many guides on how to install adb/fastboot available on XDA.

This is not a q&a/help thread, if you have questions regarding the processes mentioned here please ask in the appropriate place

By attempting any of the processes listed this thread you accept full responsibility for your actions. I will not be held responsible if your device stops working, catches on fire, or turns into a hipster and claims to have been modified before it was cool.

How To Unlock The Bootloader On The HTC Droid DNA:
Quote:
1. Go To http://htcdev.com
2. Follow Their Directions To Achieve **UNLOCKED** Bootloader. That Is As Much As I Can Help You There.

If you can't unlock through htcdev then proceed to an s-off method that includes temproot.

How To Achieve S-OFF On Your DNA
Quote:
What is S-OFF?? In simplest terms, S-OFF on HTC devices is the ability to flash unsigned code that modifies the kernel, boot, and radio partitions from recovery. Unsigned code is code that has not come from HTC directly, or has been modified in transit.
Quote:
1. Find Out Your Software Version, This Way You Know What S-Off Method To Use On Your DNA ( Not Android Version, or Sense Version )

software version 1.xx - use facepalm - found HERE
software version 2.xx - use moonshine (2.06 version of moonshine DOES work with 2.07 devices) - found HERE
software version 3.xx - use rumrunner - found HERE

2. Follow The Above S-Off Link Threads To Achieve S-Off. I Will Not Post There Work On This Thread.
Edit - another s-off method would be firewater, which is located here firewater-soff.com

How To Install A Custom Recovery On Your Device
Quote:
Download the recovery of your choice, make sure you check the md5 to verify its integrity. Place the file in your fastboot folder (this is where fastboot.exe is located on your PC), connect your phone in fastboot mode (reboot to bootloader, connect usb cable, "fastboot usb" should now be displayed on the screen), open a command prompt from within your fastboot folder (shift + right click, select open command prompt here), and enter the following commands:

Grab Recoveries Here
TWRP - HERE
Phillz - HERE
CMW -

Code:
fastboot flash recovery "filename.img"
(the exact filename, minus the talking marks)

Code:
fastboot erase cache
Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader
Now you can select the recovery option from your bootloader screen to enter your custom recovery.

How To Update Firmware To Latest Releases By Verizon
Quote:
Once S-Off is achived you can flash almost anything on your device, and the most common is firmware. The
reason why is because sometimes lower firmware can lead to more bugs in newest roms.

1. Link To Firmware And Instructions HERE
Again this Guide Was To Help Noobies

[CENTER]Want to help? Want to keep Kickdroid going? Buy me a beer, help a thirsty fella while he works for you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 24ky For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MisterSprinkles
Old
Thanks Meter 228

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ky View Post
24ky's How-To Guide For Beginners
HTC Droid DNA ( DLX )
Why do you keep posting things that have already been posted?

24ky
Old
(Last edited by 24ky; 12th March 2014 at 05:23 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1177

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSprinkles View Post
Why do you keep posting things that have already been posted?
Well for one I didn't see a thread explaining this. But could be wrong.

But my question is why do people keep asking how to do these things.??? Wait I know cause some threads get pushed so far back that no one looks for them and yet they hijack every thread asking the same question. And quite frankly it's annoying.. So for now on if someone needs to unlock, s-off, and update there phone I can revert them here .

Edit :
The ones I did see, seem out dated.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

[CENTER]Want to help? Want to keep Kickdroid going? Buy me a beer, help a thirsty fella while he works for you

jaymazz13
Old
Thanks Meter 77
U can't unlock ur bootloader anymore through htcdev.com

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using xda app-developers app
LG G2 VS980
The Following User Says Thank You to jaymazz13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

24ky
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1177

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymazz13 View Post

Thanks, wasn't sure if you could or not because I bought my phone from swappa and it was already unlocked and s-off. But I will edited OP. And I will included another s-off method

24ky
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1177

DONATE TO ME
Bump

Phaded
Old
Thanks Meter 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymazz13 View Post

Yes you can.
HTC DNA
My phone does phone things

.torrented
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1471

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaded View Post
Yes you can.
You can but only with SuperCID 22222222, which requires S-OFF (afaik) in the first place