Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more

Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

External SD Card limitations of TW KitKat

OP gaww

13th March 2014, 03:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Western NC
Thanks Meter: 523

3,786 posts
More
The other threads cover the installation and issues with respect to it and other general discussion, but I am most concerned with this one issue. The limitations on using the External SD card and the ability or inability of developers to work around it could determine if it is worthwhile to update or not with the official based firmware.

An example is currently being able to have large (almost 2 gb) GPS map files relocated from internal SD to external SD with build prop changes - will that even be possible with official KitKat?

I would like to see users post their results in this area alone here, Otherwise they will be spread all over the other threads. I have not flashed it yet due to installation issues, but when they are sorted out, this one problem are may still make it not worth the effort.

Update - it looks like there may be an easy fix:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2607215

If that does not work as-is on M919 - probably will be one soon that does.
Last edited by gaww; 13th March 2014 at 07:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gaww For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2014, 07:08 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 69

466 posts
If you edit platform.xml per this post it'll fix Titanium Backup (and I suspect any other program which has issues writing to the extSD):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2617921

I prefer to edit the files when I can as it helps me learn a little about Android, I can be certain of what's happening and I can revert by removing the edits or restoring a backup of the file.
The Following User Says Thank You to ronin4740 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2014, 05:41 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Western NC

3,786 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740

If you edit platform.xml per this post it'll fix Titanium Backup (and I suspect any other program which has issues writing to the extSD):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2617921

I prefer to edit the files when I can as it helps me learn a little about Android, I can be certain of what's happening and I can revert by removing the edits or restoring a backup of the file.

Thanks - looks the same as option two in my link above.

Makes me wonder if it is that easy, what ll the fuss is all about (references to a major developer organizing a majot campaign to blast Google, etc.)

Again - as US TMo users get the new OTA going - please post your experiences with respect to the external SD.
16th March 2014, 05:40 AM   |  #4  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 13

73 posts
More
Here's an example of why this is a pain. I'm on the new 4.4.2 TW build and I have uTorrent installed. Before any downloads would go to my 64gb ultra microSDXC card. It was perfect since I have ample space. Now, I'm no longer allowed to save to extSDCard and every new download gets an error. The fix was setting the download location to the download folder on the internal storage, which Kit Katy now recognizes as External primary. It doesn't say it but the coding dictates that no app can write to the secondary external data source (your microsd) outside of the folder it created during install. This means you get app updates and IAP and that's pretty much it as far as SD cards are concerned.

Now my torrents go to my internal storage which only has about 2gbs left instead of my 64gb with 17gb free. Why don't I just use a file manager to move the files you ask? Because they cannot write to external storage as mentioned before. Really not getting the logic here Google.

SGH-M919 4.4.2 Kit Kat TW Stock
OTA FNB4 Rooted
CWM 6.0.4.7 Touch
XPosed Framework & Modules
20th March 2014, 09:40 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 79

1,442 posts
More
Is that why my phone is acting weird???

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
20th March 2014, 02:26 PM   |  #6  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 47

204 posts
More
There's an app to fix this. Fixed tibu for me.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=51217258

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sdmark For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd March 2014, 10:35 AM   |  #7  

1,442 posts
More
Don't want to root yet.

22nd March 2014, 09:27 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Western NC

3,786 posts
More
This issue has been helped but not entirely fixed with the preceding fixes. However, working pretty good now overall. Was able to switch download folder from internal to ExtSD in some apps (like Browser) but not in XDA app and torrent initially..

However, was able to move download folders and files over from internal to ExtSD OK.

Also, changed permissions on Browser, rebooted, and then was able to change download folder to externalSD. Ditto for uTorrent - downloading to ExtSD now also.
Last edited by gaww; 23rd March 2014 at 12:09 AM.
24th March 2014, 12:43 PM   |  #9  

1,442 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaww

This issue has been helped but not entirely fixed with the preceding fixes. However, working pretty good now overall. Was able to switch download folder from internal to ExtSD in some apps (like Browser) but not in XDA app and torrent initially..

However, was able to move download folders and files over from internal to ExtSD OK.

Also, changed permissions on Browser, rebooted, and then was able to change download folder to externalSD. Ditto for uTorrent - downloading to ExtSD now also.

So no way to fix without root???

24th March 2014, 06:21 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Western NC

3,786 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYADROIDMASTER

So no way to fix without root???

Probably not. You can try to get into a file editor and make the change, but this will most likely require root access.to do so.

I have not bothered to follow the rooting threads, as I only had to root when I first got the phone. so I don't know if there are any that will root without affecting the KNOX counter. If you are not KNOX'd - just root.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread