Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Lightbulb [Request] HTC Sense 5 Car app as apk

OP SimianJones

23rd March 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #1  
This is an app request. It seems like something on of you whiz bang developers could whip out easily. I've upgraded from the EVO to a G2 as my daily use device (I still have my EVO as a backup.) The G2 has a little more horsepower and some nice features, but I find that I miss having HTC Car, and it worked so well with my Sprint Navigation card dock.* There is no Car app on the G2 - there isn't even an implementation of the Google Car Mode app - at least not on the LS980.

As I understand it, the HTC Car app has some sense dependencies, so you cannot just extract the apk. (I tried that.) I leave the technical details up to the dev, whether you port the existing app or whip up a doppleganger. For the most part this app seems dead simple, but I found it far safer to run while I commute.

Here's my last plea before the specs and reference photos: Car Apps out there suck, and there is a huge void in the market for a simple, effective app that

Feature Requests:
1) Install as an APK, no Sense proprietary dependencies.
2) Works on most Android devices, scale the UI to fit most displays.
3) Auto-start app when connected to bluetooth device.
4) Auto-quit app when disconnected from bluetooth device.
5) Phone mode (optional, at least a dialer shortcut)
6) Allow User to add large-tile shortcuts to a limited number of apps.
7) Landscape interface
8) Vertical interface (optional)
9) Navigation
  • MINIMUM : Launch to Google Navigator
  • OPTIONAL : Replicate the simple Car Navigation UI** [These are really optional, I hardly ever used this stuff, but some might find them useful]
  • OPTIONAL : Replicate the Google Calendar Appointments feature that chooses destinations based on your calendar items.
  • OPTIONAL : Replicate Previous destination list.

**The Car Navigation UI appears to be simply a series of shortcuts to Google Maps searches: Gas Station, Food, Parking, Cafes, Bars, ATM, Pharmacy, Shopping, Emergency.

I'll post some reference photos.
Photos of HTC Car UI

Vertical

Horizontal

Phone - the left pane usually has a list of contacts.

Navigation

*BTW: If you open the Sprint Navigation Car Dock, it is rudimentary to remove the charging chip. If you take that out, the dock works fantastically for the LG G2. I use it with a Diztronic TPU case and it still fits great. A wee bit tight, but it fits.

Last call, casual readers, if you think replicating this app would be a good idea, please at least leave a reply and say so. I doubt a dev would take on a task like this if there is little community interest. If you have moved on to another phone as your primary device, or if you still run the EVO on a Non-Sense ROM, you could benefit from this too. The simplest implementation of this app should work on any android device.

Post #2 is reserved for community suggestions for feature adds or improvements. If you post something past page 1 then I will link it on the front page.
23rd March 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #2  
Lightbulb Reserved for Community Suggestions
reserved
24th March 2014, 04:11 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Themer
Flag North Miami Beach
Thanks Meter: 2,686

3,104 posts
Donate to Me
More
You should probably move this thread to the android apps and games section

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk