[Request] HTC Sense 5 Car app as apk
This is an app request. It seems like something on of you whiz bang developers could whip out easily. I've upgraded from the EVO to a G2 as my daily use device (I still have my EVO as a backup.) The G2 has a little more horsepower and some nice features, but I find that I miss having HTC Car, and it worked so well with my Sprint Navigation card dock.* There is no Car app on the G2 - there isn't even an implementation of the Google Car Mode app - at least not on the LS980.
As I understand it, the HTC Car app has some sense dependencies, so you cannot just extract the apk. (I tried that.) I leave the technical details up to the dev, whether you port the existing app or whip up a doppleganger. For the most part this app seems dead simple, but I found it far safer to run while I commute.
Here's my last plea before the specs and reference photos: Car Apps out there suck, and there is a huge void in the market for a simple, effective app that
1) Install as an APK, no Sense proprietary dependencies.
2) Works on most Android devices, scale the UI to fit most displays.
3) Auto-start app when connected to bluetooth device.
4) Auto-quit app when disconnected from bluetooth device.
5) Phone mode (optional, at least a dialer shortcut)
6) Allow User to add large-tile shortcuts to a limited number of apps.
7) Landscape interface
8) Vertical interface (optional)
- MINIMUM : Launch to Google Navigator
- OPTIONAL : Replicate the simple Car Navigation UI** [These are really optional, I hardly ever used this stuff, but some might find them useful]
- OPTIONAL : Replicate the Google Calendar Appointments feature that chooses destinations based on your calendar items.
- OPTIONAL : Replicate Previous destination list.
**The Car Navigation UI appears to be simply a series of shortcuts to Google Maps searches: Gas Station, Food, Parking, Cafes, Bars, ATM, Pharmacy, Shopping, Emergency.
I'll post some reference photos.
Photos of HTC Car UI
Phone - the left pane usually has a list of contacts.
*BTW: If you open the Sprint Navigation Car Dock, it is rudimentary to remove the charging chip. If you take that out, the dock works fantastically for the LG G2. I use it with a Diztronic TPU case and it still fits great. A wee bit tight, but it fits.
Last call, casual readers, if you think replicating this app would be a good idea, please at least leave a reply and say so. I doubt a dev would take on a task like this if there is little community interest. If you have moved on to another phone as your primary device, or if you still run the EVO on a Non-Sense ROM, you could benefit from this too. The simplest implementation of this app should work on any android device.
Post #2 is reserved for community suggestions for feature adds or improvements. If you post something past page 1 then I will link it on the front page.