Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,404 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stock 10.1 2014 and USB HDD via OTG

Tip us?

Zumajay
Old
(Last edited by Zumajay; 1st January 2014 at 01:50 PM.) Reason: Clarity
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Stock 10.1 2014 and USB HDD via OTG

FYI guys our stock Note 10.1 2014s have native support for USB HDDs via On the Go (OTG) cables. However, the drive cannot be NTFS: I tried a couple of different OTG cables, a powered USB hub for powering the HDD, etc, on my NTFS (a 2 TByte Passport) without luck.

I then quick-formatted the Passport to FAT and BAM everything worked perfectly: the USB device was recognized and the native "My Files" app auto-opened to display the contents of the HDD (i.e. an app like "Nexus Media Importer", which I used on my N10, is unnecessary)

Very impressive. I am diggin this tablet more and more...

Riesi4
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumajay View Post
FYI guys our stock Note 10.1 2014s have native support for USB HDDs via On the Go (OTG) cables. However, the drive cannot be NTFS: I tried a couple of different OTG cables, a powered USB hub for powering the HDD, etc, on my NTFS (a 2 TByte Passport) without luck.

I then quick-formatted the Passport to FAT and BAM everything worked perfectly: the USB device was recognized and the native "My Files" app auto-opened to display the contents of the HDD (i.e. an app like "Nexus Media Importer", which I used on my N10, is unnecessary)

Very impressive. I am diggin this tablet more and more...
Hi

The problem is the Kernel of the P605. On my Galaxy S4 ive solved the problem with the installation of a "hacker kernel v7 leak". Now it can read an write NTFS devices.

But for the Note i cant find a other kernel yet

darkuni
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Rooted users should try OTG Helper ... that seems to do the trick for NTFS.

Geordie Affy
Old
(Last edited by Geordie Affy; 10th March 2014 at 02:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 99
If this is the case I think I will order a OTG cable right now
@Zumajay So basicallyallI have to do is turn my WD Passport into FAT and it will work via OTG?

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy SIII
Dell Inspiron 1720 - Awesome Laptop

fantasmanegro
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Affy View Post
If this is the case I think I will order a OTG cable right now
@Zumajay So basicallyallI have to do is turn my WD Passport into FAT and it will work via OTG?

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.
yes, any massive storage with fat32 format, can be read with this tablet, just remember that fat32 has a file size limit of 4gb

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkuni View Post
Rooted users should try OTG Helper ... that seems to do the trick for NTFS.
not exactl...

you need the ntfs file system drivers inside the kernel in order to read nfts hdd format
The Following User Says Thank You to fantasmanegro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Marshall1975
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I originally tried all of the NTFS mounting apps and none of them worked. Just formatted my HDD's to exFat then there is no 4gb file limit and all works fine.
MOBILE: HTC ONE
ROM: VIPER ONE

TAB : NOTE 10.1 (2014) 4G
ROM : StockyROM V2.0

joe666it
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall1975 View Post
I originally tried all of the NTFS mounting apps and none of them worked. Just formatted my HDD's to exFat then there is no 4gb file limit and all works fine.
Also having root does not help.
The problem is SELinux in Enforcing mode, it blocks all the programs that try to modify System partition by installing, in this case, the NTFS drivers.

Until someone will make a P605 kernel with SELinux in permissive mode, there is no way to manage an NTFS partitioned usb drive.