T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

[Q] possible to flash stock rom from diffrent carriers

OP mootmetal

13th March 2014, 07:59 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag casa
Thanks Meter: 31

341 posts
More
I have a trend plus stock and i found newer updates but not yet for my country so if i flash a stock rom of another country or an other carrier in my country that will lock my phone? or may brick it in anyway? Will i loose my emei ?
13th March 2014, 03:47 PM   |  #2  
Flag Sangli, Maharashtra, India, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galaxy Group,Universe
Thanks Meter: 442

999 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mootmetal

I have a trend plus stock and i found newer updates but not yet for my country so if i flash a stock rom of another country or an other carrier in my country that will lock my phone? or may brick it in anyway? Will i loose my emei ?

There is a possiblility of brick if you use different carrier firmware.

One of my friend had Verizon S3 and he flashed Indian S3 Firmware and resulted in hard bricked device.
He could not go to recovery mode and download mode, USB Jig failed. Even JTAG Device could not repair.

Only Samsung Service Center could repair it (and he had to pay them).

But IMEI was not lost. (I think because IMEI is stored in /efs and it is not harmed in ROM business)
The Following User Says Thank You to hnkotnis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2014, 05:41 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag casa

341 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnkotnis

There is a possiblility of brick if you use different carrier firmware.

One of my friend had Verizon S3 and he flashed Indian S3 Firmware and resulted in hard bricked device.
He could not go to recovery mode and download mode, USB Jig failed. Even JTAG Device could not repair.

Only Samsung Service Center could repair it (and he had to pay them).

But IMEI was not lost. (I think because IMEI is stored in /efs and it is not harmed in ROM business)

Thanks man for the answer ... what about flashing diffrent carrier firmware from the same country i thinks this wont brick the phone but it may lock the phone ..right?
13th March 2014, 09:06 PM   |  #4  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 83

329 posts
More
It might work but its risky and you would end up with all the bloatware from another carrier boot screen etc. It shouldn't have any affect on the sim lock as this is in another part of the phone.

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Sweatpants For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2014, 10:20 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag casa

341 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sweatpants

It might work but its risky and you would end up with all the bloatware from another carrier boot screen etc. It shouldn't have any affect on the sim lock as this is in another part of the phone.

Programming is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

yeah sad but true ... i wonder why there's no universal stock rom ..all roms i found are for this or that carrier ... is there any way i can find the systeme folder because i deleted some systeme apps and than the phone become a liitle bit crazy ...now if i insert an sd card the become slow and hang on after some minutes, a thing that wasnt befor ... and even after a factory reset from the phone or from cwm there's some aps missing like stock file browser or alarm app ...
13th March 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #6  
Flag Edinburgh

329 posts
More
Unless you want to try the other ROMs you could find someone with the same phone and get them to download apk extractor. They can then extract the apk from whichever system apps are damaged/missing and send them to you

14th March 2014, 08:38 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag casa

341 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sweatpants

Unless you want to try the other ROMs you could find someone with the same phone and get them to download apk extractor. They can then extract the apk from whichever system apps are damaged/missing and send them to you

well i tried to copy the missing aps from another rooted phone (the same phone and firmware) and ended with apps intstalator FC after rebooting and now i cant use the phone will try to flash a nandroid backup i made on the other phone
14th March 2014, 04:00 PM   |  #8  
Flag Edinburgh

329 posts
More
Odd any luck with backups?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread