Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,731 Members 50,028 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Before I jump ship I'd like to know...

Tip us?
 
Chad_Petree
Old
(Last edited by Chad_Petree; 13th March 2014 at 10:18 AM.)
#1  
Chad_Petree's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 163
Posts: 2,354
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Berlin
Default Before I jump ship I'd like to know...

I'm about to preorder the Z2, but there are some things that I need to know before doing it:

1.Has sony had problems with too cold (blue)/ too warm (yellow) screens?

2. The holes on the left side are for a charging dock, that I know but I don't i'll ever use it, does the phone come with a flap to cover it?

3. Do Z/Z1 have been known to shatter easily? I've always thought having a glass back is a terrible idea, and after havinf the Nexus 4 I promised myself I wouldn't buy a phone with a glass back again, I was always so paranoid, it wasn't fun, I still see Iphones 4/4s and nexus 4 with cracked backs , I know the Z phones used to come with a screen protector out of the box, but I'm interested in the stories of people who took it off, since the new Z2 does not come with this protector anymore.

4. Can you get rid of that ugly bar with icons when you multitask to put some kind of widgets on the homescreen?

5. Is it true that the corners have been softened? They look identical to me on pictures

6. how long did it take developers to unlock the Z/Z1 bootloader? I'm not planning on flashing roms ever again, but I like having root and couldn't have an android phone without xposed

7.Why was the battery life just ok with the z1? It has a 3000 mah but the LG G2 for example lasted quite a bit more with the same battery capacity and so did the Note 3 with a considerably bigger screen

8. No hope for a 32 gb version?

9: Does the phone have qualcom's quickcharge 2.0 like the G2? The LG G2 battery charges in under 2 hours! The Z1 doesn't have it, it takes the phone 3 hours to go from 0% to 100%

Thanks guys
 
akselic
Old
(Last edited by akselic; 13th March 2014 at 11:05 AM.)
#2  
akselic's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 389
Posts: 662
Join Date: Jul 2010
Can't answer every question but I'll do my best.

1. The Z1 has had problems with warm screen colors. Actually to an extent that they made an update that brought a screen calibration app to help with the issue.

2. At least my friends Z or my Z1 didn't cover the magnetic charger pins.

3. No, the Z1 has actually been surprisingly durable in drop tests and there doesn't seem to be many complaints of shattered glass. Sony claims that the Z2 will also be shatter resistant even though it doesn't have that ASF (anti shatter film)

4. Not sure what bar you mean but you can add widgets like any other Android device.

5. This is a claim about the lens and even though it may be valid I haven't seen people complain much about this. The problems with the past Xperia phone cameras are with software and processing mostly.

6. Sony gave instructions and tools to unlock the bootloader for everyone and I believe they will continue with this trend - this is basically a non-issue. Unlocking the BL on the Z1 did remove access to some of Sony's proprietary software though such as Bionz which then affected picture processing negatively.

7. The battery life was greatly improved with an early update and is now a lot closer to the LG G2

8. Never seen even one Z1 with 32GB... But they all have micro so slots.

9. The Z1 doesn't have quick charge however I don't know about the Z2.
The Following User Says Thank You to akselic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Chad_Petree
Old
(Last edited by Chad_Petree; 13th March 2014 at 12:35 PM.)
#3  
Chad_Petree's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 163
Posts: 2,354
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by akselic View Post
Can't answer every question but I'll do my best.

1. The Z1 has had problems with warm screen colors. Actually to an extent that they made an update that brought a screen calibration app to help with the issue.

3. No, the Z1 has actually been surprisingly durable in drop tests and there doesn't seem to be many complaints of shattered glass. Sony claims that the Z2 will also be shatter resistant even though it doesn't have that ASF (anti shatter film)

4. Not sure what bar you mean but you can add widgets like any other Android device.

5. This is a claim about the lens and even though it may be valid I haven't seen people complain much about this. The problems with the past Xperia phone cameras are with software and processing mostly.

6. Sony gave instructions and tools to unlock the bootloader for everyone and I believe they will continue with this trend - this is basically a non-issue. Unlocking the BL on the Z1 did remove access to some of Sony's proprietary software though such as Bionz which then affected picture processing negatively.

7. The battery life was greatly improved with an early update and is now a lot closer to the LG G2

8. Never seen even one Z1 with 32GB... But they all have micro so slots.

9. The Z1 doesn't have quick charge however I don't know about the Z2.
So that's why they created the calibration app, haha I was so naive I thought it was just because they wanted to give the customer some extra tweaking options .

What about scratches?

I meant this bar :


And I meant the corners of the phone , I've read the corners of the z/z1 dig into the palms of people



And the camera issue with the sides of the picture concern me, I'm thinking its a hardware issue because the z2 samples show the same situation :'( check out the grass on the left and right corners :'(



OK Sony provides with instructions to unlock the bootloader but does it void the warranty?


Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
 
akselic
Old
(Last edited by akselic; 13th March 2014 at 12:30 PM.)
#4  
akselic's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 389
Posts: 662
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Petree View Post
What about scratches?

And I meant the corners of the phone , I've read the corners of the z/z1 dig into the palms of people.

OK Sony provides with instructions to unlock the bootloader but does it void the warranty?
The ASF is extremely easy to scratch but I haven't heard about people having problems with the actual Dragontrail screen under it and I doupt the ASF-less Z2 will have issues with scratching.

The corners of the phone I guess can be a little rugged but I haven't had an issue with that and they don't dig into my hands. I suppose it's up to people depending on how and where they hold the phone and how large their hands are. The Z2 indeed seems the same corner-wise as the Z1.

And yes, unlocking the bootloader does void warranty as it does with all manufacturers, however at least with the Z1 it could be rooted without unlocking the bootloader. Also it's possible to go back to a factory looking state (unlike Samsungs Knox which will always show 0x1 even if tripped).

Could you please reload the attachments or upload them to flickr/dropbox? I can't see the attachments at all.

---
Edit: If the picture quality concerns you then I suggest waiting until you can see more pictures from commercial units. The Z1 has it's issues and due to the same hardware it is entirely possible those will follow to the Z2.
 
Chad_Petree
Old
#5  
Chad_Petree's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 163
Posts: 2,354
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by akselic View Post
The ASF is extremely easy to scratch but I haven't heard about people having problems with the actual Dragontrail screen under it and I doupt the ASF-less Z2 will have issues with scratching.

The corners of the phone I guess can be a little rugged but I haven't had an issue with that and they don't dig into my hands. I suppose it's up to people depending on how and where they hold the phone and how large their hands are. The Z2 indeed seems the same corner-wise as the Z1.

And yes, unlocking the bootloader does void warranty as it does with all manufacturers, however at least with the Z1 it could be rooted without unlocking the bootloader. Also it's possible to go back to a factory looking state (unlike Samsungs Knox which will always show 0x1 even if tripped).

Could you please reload the attachments or upload them to flickr/dropbox? I can't see the attachments at all.

---
Edit: If the picture quality concerns you then I suggest waiting until you can see more pictures from commercial units. The Z1 has it's issues and due to the same hardware it is entirely possible those will follow to the Z2.
I thought the xperia z1/z2 used gorilla glass 3 , that's interesting .

Yes HTC does that too but a couple of months after the release of the phone ,developers make "s off" and you get to unlock your bootloader without voiding the warranty .

You're right I should wait a bit to read people's opinions, I saw no mention of this issue on reviews :/

I reuploaded the attachments

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
 
akselic
Old
#6  
akselic's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 389
Posts: 662
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Petree View Post
I thought the xperia z1/z2 used gorilla glass 3 , that's interesting .

Yes HTC does that too but a couple of months after the release of the phone ,developers make "s off" and you get to unlock your bootloader without voiding the warranty .

You're right I should wait a bit to read people's opinions, I saw no mention of this issue on reviews :/

I reuploaded the attachments
Dragontrail should be just as good as Gorilla Glass - it's just a different product for the same purpose.

I have HTCs One X and to this day it doesn't have S OFF. The grass always seems greener on the other side

That issue you mentioned in pictures, I never saw it in Z1 reviews either. I first bumped into it here at XDA.

And oh THAT bar. It's just for opening up mini apps that work a bit like floating video from Samsung i.e. on top of the system. Widgets are added from the home screen settings as usual.
 
Chad_Petree
Old
#7  
Chad_Petree's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 163
Posts: 2,354
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by akselic View Post
Dragontrail should be just as good as Gorilla Glass - it's just a different product for the same purpose.

I have HTCs One X and to this day it doesn't have S OFF. The grass always seems greener on the other side

That issue you mentioned in pictures, I never saw it in Z1 reviews either. I first bumped into it here at XDA.

And oh THAT bar. It's just for opening up mini apps that work a bit like floating video from Samsung i.e. on top of the system. Widgets are added from the home screen settings as usual.
I'm not saying it's bad ,I just thought gorilla glass had a monopoly on the high end .

I didn't know the one x didn't have s off , now I'm confused, s off is basically unlocking the bootloader but without giving HTC your serial code, so you can keep using your warranty, right?

Yes that's the bar I meant, can you get rid of it ? I don't like it

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
 
akselic
Old
#8  
akselic's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 389
Posts: 662
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Petree View Post
I didn't know the one x didn't have s off , now I'm confused, s off is basically unlocking the bootloader but without giving HTC your serial code, so you can keep using your warranty, right?

Yes that's the bar I meant, can you get rid of it ? I don't like it
No, S OFF is basically access to a certain portion (NAND) of the device which is locked and unwritable when S ON. In a nutshell - read around the internet for more information. But not every HTC phone has S OFF so development on those phones isn't always any better.

And I don't think you can get rid of that bar because it's literally the only way to open those mini apps. You can just ignore it.
 
Akiainavas
Old
#9  
Akiainavas's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 355
Posts: 1,156
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basingstoke

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by akselic View Post
Dragontrail should be just as good as Gorilla Glass - it's just a different product for the same purpose.
From all the tests I've seen - Dragontrail is not as scratch-resistand as Gorilla Glass, but it's a lot harder, able to bend and survived in most cases where GG shattered during tests.



Xperia Z2ssssssssssss


ssssNeed help ? Send me a message, I'll try to help.

www.ifixit.com
Voice your support for the Self-Repair Manifesto!

www.ultimae.com
Panoramic Music for Panoramic People

The Following User Says Thank You to Akiainavas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
vicedens2002
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 386
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
This thread answered me a lot of questions. I hope I will dive into z2. Currently having HTC desire HD. Only I miss is the IR

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Nokia 2100 -> Nokia 6510 -> Nokia 6600 -> Sony Ericsson w700i -> Sony Ericsson w960i -> HTC Desire HD -> SONY Xperia Z2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes