Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,852 Members 40,418 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What's wrong with Sony's G-lens? Picture analysis

Tip us?

BoneXDA
Old
(Last edited by BoneXDA; 28th February 2014 at 10:07 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1059
Default What's wrong with Sony's G-lens? Picture analysis

I don't have to tell you how Android phones suffer on camera SW side, but while the Z1 improved on the Z's problematic image quality, it introduced unexpected issues in optics. The G-lens is a multi-element plastic lens system, and something inside the design and arrangement causes certain areas of the image to lose sharpness, Z1 owners know this. Unfortunately, while Sony's sure to work on image quality improvements, the optics of the Z2 are unchanged, here is a picture analysis.

This is a downsampled Z2 image taken at 8MP (Auto Mode), because it's reduced to 40% of original pixel size, it should be super sharp (and not over-sharpened) at ALL AREAS, cause if this photo is not sharp, how the full 20MP result would look?

http://www.xataka.com/galeria/xperia...s-barcelona/2/

1) But anyways, details in the middle are quite good, highly detailed, although you can spot quite a sharpening, but tolerable at this resolution (100% crop)

2) Moving just a bit away from the middle however, and look at how the buildings, trees, construction site are all of the sudden soft and lack of accurate focus

3) The left middle side of the lens is worst, this image would be just as sharp as in the middle on a say Samesong Note 3, LG Pro 2, iPhone 5S, Lumia 1520 whatever. Remind you this is still a crop from an 8MPs image, not 20, full size would have the same amount of detail spread over 2,5 larger area!

4) The left bottom corner is... relatively sharp again? Huh?

Right now Sony has a monumental mountain to climb to make their SW for their great sensor work reliable, cause the Z1 is not, it's not too high on detail either, and is badly over-processed (sharpening, noise reduction). But even if they get it right, optical issues won't go away, something is just wrong with the G-lens that is not addressed on the Z2, which is a pity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoneXDA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

se1000
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Really? Pixel peeping on a cameraphone?! Something like this could have easily been a fingerprint or smudge on only half of the front lens cover.
The Following User Says Thank You to se1000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kantk20111
Old
Thanks Meter 627
Literally every camera in existance ranging from a phone camera to a high end DSLR has this 'problem'. The corners of the image sensor is always the softest. Its not a Sony issue.
Current Device: Sony Xperia Z1

Previous Devices: Galaxy S3 I9300, SE Xperia X10i
The Following User Says Thank You to kantk20111 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hikashi
Old
(Last edited by hikashi; 28th February 2014 at 05:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 16
Relax man. Had a Z1 myself and the lens rather soft on the corner at times, probably due to the f2.3 apeture.
But the blur on the middle right, the guy was taking aerial photo in behind the glass of a helicopter, so blur might present due to the helicopter panel.
The Following User Says Thank You to hikashi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BoneXDA
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantk20111 View Post
Literally every camera in existance ranging from a phone camera to a high end DSLR has this 'problem'. The corners of the image sensor is always the softest. Its not a Sony issue.
Yes it is. There is no softness around on a say iPhone 5S or Galaxy S4 Exmor RS, if the subject is sharp, the image is sharp all around. It is an undeniably crippling feature of the Z1, and apparently the Z2, and anyone with any sense of photography can spot these issues, see some Sony forums. I'm expecting a quality discussion here not "ur crazy dude, no camera is perfect homes".

kantk20111
Old
Thanks Meter 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneXDA View Post
Yes it is. There is no softness around on a say iPhone 5S or Galaxy S4 Exmor RS, if the subject is sharp, the image is sharp all around. It is an undeniably crippling feature of the Z1, and apparently the Z2, and anyone with any sense of photography can spot these issues, see some Sony forums. I'm expecting a quality discussion here not "ur crazy dude, no camera is perfect homes".
What discussion is there to have? Do you want people to agree with you and reply 'ohhh yuhh z1 camera sux' or 'sony u suck lolol'? I stated my opinion, and it's true. I'm a pretty avid photographer, I have a Nikon D7100 and have a decent eye for photography. My D7100 with the 18-105 lens has the same problems at large aperture. Granted it's not as bad as the Z1's, but the softness is still there. Large aperture lenses have softness on the corners. I guarantee you will find the same result with the 5S or S4.

I could show you pictures that came out perfectly with my Z1 as well with none of the problems you mentioned. There are a ton of reasons why you could have got that blurriness in the middle. The camera lens could've been smudged, they might've got a bad phone, or, most probably, the guy was taking pictures out of a helicopter which was moving and might have had smudges on the window?

Let's take a look at another picture in this set:http://img.xataka.com/galleries/xper...a/DSC_0046.JPG

Overall, it's a bit soft, but the random blurriness you mentioned is not present. Detail is sharp at the center and fuzzy at the edges, just like any camera, but the random blurs are not there. Why? Because the picture you showed was an abnormality.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kantk20111 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

liliha
Old
Thanks Meter 6
This plagued my old Z also, thought it was a smudge or lens had become scuffed but this was not the case. I thought it was an isolated problem but this is a big concern as im eyeing the Z2 (obviously)

aznracer62
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
What discussion is there to have? Do you want people to agree with you and reply 'ohhh yuhh z1 camera sux' or 'sony u suck lolol'? I stated my opinion, and it's true. I'm a pretty avid photographer, I have a Nikon D7100 and have a decent eye for photography. My D7100 with the 18-105 lens has the same problems at large aperture. Granted it's not as bad as the Z1's, but the softness is still there. Large aperture lenses have softness on the corners. I guarantee you will find the same result with the 5S or S4.

I could show you pictures that came out perfectly with my Z1 as well with none of the problems you mentioned. There are a ton of reasons why you could have got that blurriness in the middle. The camera lens could've been smudged, they might've got a bad phone, or, most probably, the guy was taking pictures out of a helicopter which was moving and might have had smudges on the window?

Let's take a look at another picture in this set:http://img.xataka.com/galleries/xper...a/DSC_0046.JPG

Overall, it's a bit soft, but the random blurriness you mentioned is not present. Detail is sharp at the center and fuzzy at the edges, just like any camera, but the random blurs are not there. Why? Because the picture you showed was an abnormality.
I'm also a photographer, and even when using L glass (yea I have a Canon, screw you Nikon...just kidding) there will be abnormalities. The z1 takes great photos. The blur is no big deal. It is just a phone. Now if my $2,000+ lens gave me these problems...that's another story lol

Sent from my LG Optimus G using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to aznracer62 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BoneXDA
Old
(Last edited by BoneXDA; 1st March 2014 at 01:11 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1059
Quote:
What discussion is there to have? Do you want people to agree with you and reply 'ohhh yuhh z1 camera sux' or 'sony u suck lolol'?
Please stop trolling my thread. This is a camera lens discussion thread. Don't reply to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliha View Post
This plagued my old Z also, thought it was a smudge or lens had become scuffed but this was not the case. I thought it was an isolated problem but this is a big concern as im eyeing the Z2 (obviously)
Thank you for a reasonable response, Sony won't address the issue if ppl. play down the lens problems. Interestingly zoom lenses suffer from similar issues, but phones have fixed focal length, so there should be no softness all over the place. Unfortunately there is, I'll be looking to add full-size photos, maybe a few Z1s.
The Following User Says Thank You to BoneXDA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kantk20111
Old
Thanks Meter 627
Quote:
Please stop trolling my thread. This is a camera lens discussion thread. Don't reply to this.

...did you seriously ignore the rest of my post because of that? I wrote that to reply directly to what you said.

Quote:
"ur crazy dude, no camera is perfect homes".
If you don't have a response to my actual argument, don't reply, and don't call me a troll.