Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

How to Play Music From Android Wear – XDA TV

Yesterday, we showed you how to do some advanced things with your Moto 360 quite easily … more

Google Updates Play Games, Wallet, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, Google+, and Camera

While we haven’t really had much in the way of … more

Google Execs Talk to Ars About Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is right around the corner, and it’s expected to hit AOSP … more

Help with Google's text-to-speech

OP klosik

12th March 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 11

33 posts
More
I'm running Android 4.4.2 on a Nexus 5. In the settings for Google TTS voice data I have downloaded and selected the high quality male voice for English UK. The "listen to an example" option confirms this.

But when I go to Play Books and "read aloud" the voice is still the female american voice.

In the voice options for Google Now I can select English (UK) as my location but I get the female British voice.

The voice for Maps navigation has not changed either.

How do I get these apps to use Google's own speech synthesis engine?
14th March 2014, 05:48 PM   |  #2  
Flag Moretonhampstead
Thanks Meter: 189

484 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by klosik

I'm running Android 4.4.2 on a Nexus 5. In the settings for Google TTS voice data I have downloaded and selected the high quality male voice for English UK. The "listen to an example" option confirms this.

But when I go to Play Books and "read aloud" the voice is still the female american voice.

In the voice options for Google Now I can select English (UK) as my location but I get the female British voice.

The voice for Maps navigation has not changed either.

How do I get these apps to use Google's own speech synthesis engine?

I am having this same problem with two apps that I use TTS in:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...neten.ladyarse and https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...neten.arseblog

The dev emailed me this morning to say his mysteriously started working in the HD English voice. I have sent him a logcat, will see what he come back with.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread