Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,503 Members 36,614 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help with Google's text-to-speech

Tip us?

klosik
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Help with Google's text-to-speech

I'm running Android 4.4.2 on a Nexus 5. In the settings for Google TTS voice data I have downloaded and selected the high quality male voice for English UK. The "listen to an example" option confirms this.

But when I go to Play Books and "read aloud" the voice is still the female american voice.

In the voice options for Google Now I can select English (UK) as my location but I get the female British voice.

The voice for Maps navigation has not changed either.

How do I get these apps to use Google's own speech synthesis engine?

krs360
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by klosik View Post
I'm running Android 4.4.2 on a Nexus 5. In the settings for Google TTS voice data I have downloaded and selected the high quality male voice for English UK. The "listen to an example" option confirms this.

But when I go to Play Books and "read aloud" the voice is still the female american voice.

In the voice options for Google Now I can select English (UK) as my location but I get the female British voice.

The voice for Maps navigation has not changed either.

How do I get these apps to use Google's own speech synthesis engine?
I am having this same problem with two apps that I use TTS in:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...neten.ladyarse and https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...neten.arseblog

The dev emailed me this morning to say his mysteriously started working in the HD English voice. I have sent him a logcat, will see what he come back with.