Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,266 Members 44,946 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[WIDGET][2.1+] XKCD Now Home Screen Widget

Tip us?

Shef_
Old
(Last edited by Shef_; 4th March 2014 at 02:45 AM.) Reason: Fixed a link
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Clock [WIDGET][2.1+] XKCD Now Home Screen Widget

Hi,

So this is my first time posting an app/widget to the forums. After seeing xkcd.com/now, I thought it deserved to be made into a widget that doesn't require internet connection, so I used this project to learn how to make android widgets. Turns out it's simpler than I thought.

To read this widget you have to find your location on the inside Earth map, and compare its location to the 24 hour clock on the outside.

Here is a more in depth explanation.

All of xkcd.com is creative commons so there shouldn't be a problem with distributing this app.

Here is the play store URL: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....xkcdnowwidget

In the attached screenshot you can see how it works. I'm in the US West Coast, so it gives you a demonstration of how to read the clock.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-28-14-46-54.jpg
Views:	1748
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	2612004  
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Shef_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shef_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
So this somehow made the front page of XDA, I'm honoured, but I'd like to remind everyone that this is just an adaptation of xkcd.com/now , and doesn't account for DST. It's funny that it made the front page on the day that DST takes effect, though.

I'll try to make an update that corrects it partially.

Mahalio
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef_ View Post
So this somehow made the front page of XDA, I'm honoured, but I'd like to remind everyone that this is just an adaptation of xkcd.com/now , and doesn't account for DST. It's funny that it made the front page on the day that DST takes effect, though.

I'll try to make an update that corrects it partially.
Don't do timezone adaptions.

Europe goes into DST in 3 weeks.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY
The Following User Says Thank You to Mahalio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shef_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahalio View Post
Don't do timezone adaptions.

Europe goes into DST in 3 weeks.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY
I'm planning to have a checkbox to enable/disable DST. If it's enabled the whole map rotates 15 degrees. If it's disabled it stays normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shef_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

benkxda
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1927

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef_ View Post
I'm planning to have a checkbox to enable/disable DST. If it's enabled the whole map rotates 15 degrees. If it's disabled it stays normal.
Very useful to stay in contact with friends from XDA, Google+ and other networks. Really handy app, sir. But please do me a favor and change the font into something "normal" . And the option for enabling/disabling DST is a good idea, as well. Grand idea!
Please avoid sending me PM with technical questions, place a post in the proper thread instead.

We want HTTPS on XDA!

[ Device Indexes ] - LG G3 | Fairphone 1 | Google Nexus 5 | Google Chromecast | Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE | Samsung Galaxy Nexus
[ General Threads ] - Galaxy Nexus - Extracted Image Files | Nexus 5 - Extracted Image Files | Fairphone | App Translators | App Tester

Profile Extension

r1c47
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Why is it 26MB?

Shef_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1c47 View Post
Why is it 26MB?
It's the way Randall Muroe first coded it. it has to contain 96 pictures and picks one every 15. Kind of a bummer. Here's the source if you're suspicious that it does more than it claims: https://github.com/Shef-/XKCDNowWidget
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shef_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shef_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Smile Added Live Wallpaper and DST support

I added a live wallpaper and the option for DST. It's all part of the same app so that you only need to download the 26mb file once and all resources are shared.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shef_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Spincervino
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Nice Widget, but I have a suggestion:
For shrinking apk size you just need to compress .png files better
Using "PNGGauntlet" I just got the "xkdc01.png" from 272,44 KB to 195,95.
That's 72% of original image size, without any loss of quality!
That, would be taking down the app weight to about 20mb if I did the maths correctly.
And it's lossless: its just better algorithms re-encoding the png files and removing extra information unneeded for the image.
You can use any program you like, i used PNGGauntlet just because it's so easy to use, and works good enough for me!
A little downside: re-encoding takes time, and in olds computer a lot of time, but in my opinion, for something like this, its worth it.
Bye!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xkcd01.png
Views:	213
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	2622715  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spincervino For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shef_
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincervino View Post
Nice Widget, but I have a suggestion:
For shrinking apk size you just need to compress .png files better
Using "PNGGauntlet" I just got the "xkdc01.png" from 272,44 KB to 195,95.
That's 72% of original image size, without any loss of quality!
That, would be taking down the app weight to about 20mb if I did the maths correctly.
And it's lossless: its just better algorithms re-encoding the png files and removing extra information unneeded for the image.
You can use any program you like, i used PNGGauntlet just because it's so easy to use, and works good enough for me!
A little downside: re-encoding takes time, and in olds computer a lot of time, but in my opinion, for something like this, its worth it.
Bye!
I'll definitely look into it, thanks for telling me