OP autoprime

20th September 2013, 05:49 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,832

1,833 posts
Donate to Me

LG G2 EFS Backup Zip
Background
The G2 has no built in EFS backup partitions. EFS contains things like your MEID or IMEI... your data profiles.. radio settings. The EFS cannot be replaced... it is unique to your phone only... backing up your OWN EFS is highly recommended.

I have added EFS backup to the IOroot scripts so that everyone that roots will have a copy of their EFS partitions on the computer you run IOroot from. Regardless, this current thread will still be a good "heads up" and an alternative for those who insist on using other shady root methods or for those who just want another way to back things up.
Backing up EFS
In TWRP, flash the LG_G2_Backup_EFS.zip attached in this thread. LG_G2_Backup_EFS.zip creates a flashable zip backup of your EFS in /sdcard/EFS_Backup/. Please check to make sure the backup zip worked and actually made a .zip file. Any issues please list what recovery and version you are using and please post the recovery.log.

Backup your efsbackupflashable.zip somewhere else besides your internal SD!!! Email.. cloud.. PC..

Restoring EFS
To restore your original EFS just boot into recovery and flash the efsbackupflashable.zip in your /sdcard/EFS_Backup folder.

If flashable zip wasn't created or to manually restore efs img files run the following commands using adb shell while in recovery:

dd if=/sdcard/EFS_Backup/efs1.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst1
dd if=/sdcard/EFS_Backup/efs2.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst2

Backup ALL Partitions
Well almost all... I am attaching another zip which backs up most of your phones partitions.. excluding system/data/cache and some other useless partitions. Backing up all partitions isn't as important as backing up the EFS but it can't hurt. Never know when you may need it.. especially those who like to poke around with their phone and try new things.

Run the zip in recovery.. it will make backup .img files on your internal sdcard in a new folder named "backupz"... remember to copy your backups off the internal sdcard.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LG_G2_Backup_EFS_Final.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1,012.9 KB, 17669 views)
File Type: zip LG_G2_Backup_All_Partitions.zip - [Click for QR Code] (142.1 KB, 5571 views)
Last edited by autoprime; 5th February 2014 at 04:21 AM.
The Following 127 Users Say Thank You to autoprime For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2013, 06:04 AM   |  #2  
Flag White Lake, Michigan
Thanks Meter: 83

440 posts
More
Wow nice find and quick work! I wonder what the chances are of messing you current info up, so your backup would actually be necessary?
20th September 2013, 06:12 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 43

210 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkow19

Wow nice find and quick work! I wonder what the chances are of messing you current info up, so your backup would actually be necessary?

Even if the chances are really small, it is always nice to have a backup.

Having to restore with QPST or other similar methods is not fun at all.
20th September 2013, 06:34 AM   |  #4  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 88

378 posts
More
Thanks autoprime.

this was pretty fast considering i just saw you post this in irc
20th September 2013, 06:43 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 107

817 posts
I'm on Verizon. It did make a folder but it was empty. No zip inside. Checked with es file explorer
20th September 2013, 06:55 AM   |  #6  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 86

559 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bckrupps

I'm on Verizon. It did make a folder but it was empty. No zip inside. Checked with es file explorer

Same situation here.
20th September 2013, 07:01 AM   |  #7  
OP Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,832

1,833 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by bckrupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsf

Same situation here.

hmm k... this happened on the LG OG as well... then some people had it working on CWM.. some people had to flash an AOSP rom first.. seems random. If someone can provide me the recovery.log after flashing the efs zip that would help. I'm going to bet its an issue with 7z packing the zip the new flashable zip for some reason or another.

i uploaded a new zip which will still try to make the flashable zip.. while also backing up the individual efs partitions.

redownload the new zip to backup efs img files.

To manually restore efs img files run the following commands using adb shell while in recovery:

dd if=/sdcard/EFS_Backup/efs1.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem_st1
dd if=/sdcard/EFS_Backup/efs2.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem_st2
Last edited by autoprime; 20th September 2013 at 07:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to autoprime For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2013, 07:14 AM   |  #8  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 86

559 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoprime

hmm k... this happened on the LG OG as well... then some people had it working on CWM.. some people had to flash an AOSP rom first.. seems random. If someone can provide me the recovery.log after flashing the efs zip that would help. I'm going to bet its an issue with 7z packing the zip the new flashable zip for some reason or another.

i uploaded a new zip which will still try to make the flashable zip.. while also backing up the individual efs partitions.

redownload the new zip to backup efs img files.

To manually restore efs img files run the following commands using adb shell while in recovery:

dd if=/sdcard/EFS_Backup/efs1.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem_st1
dd if=/sdcard/EFS_Backup/efs2.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem_st2

I have the recovery boot loop issue and was just using your zip to test out ADB Sideload in TWRP. I'll wait until my phone is working before I give your tool another try. Too many variables right now.

Jason
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonsf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2013, 03:12 PM   |  #9  
Retired Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag San Antonio, Tx
Thanks Meter: 471

2,546 posts
More
For w/e its worth this is not working on my att g2. There does not appear to be a /tmp folder

also on att the paths should be

/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst1
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst2

(no "_")
Last edited by jug6ernaut; 20th September 2013 at 03:18 PM.
20th September 2013, 03:47 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 38

404 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsf

Same situation here.

Same thing happens to me on VZW. Here is the recovery.log

http://pastebin.com/jhyHJ0Yz

The Following User Says Thank You to emplox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread