Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,742 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Newman K1

Tip us?

Meta7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Newman K1

I recently purchased the Newman K1
Does anyone know how to root it?
Does anyone how to install the original android 4.2rom on this, it came with lewa OS4.2 installed

Thanks for your help

ZBearIT
Old
(Last edited by ZBearIT; 10th June 2013 at 10:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default Newman K1

ok

paiktaras
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Ηas anyone bought this phone so we can have some general presentation?
1st DEVICE
NEXUS 4 (16GB)
Rom:: CarbonRom KitKat nightly 20140603-1049
Kernel: hells-Core_b46t4 test
Recovery: CWM 6.0.4.7

2snd DEVICE
GALAXY TAB 10.1 (16GB)
Rom:: Omni ROM (3-Nov-2013)
Kernel: p4wifi

ludoo
Old
Thanks Meter 56
A slightly late reply. I've been using the Freelander branded version of this phone (Freelander i30) as my main device for the past month and a half, and I'm pretty impressed: it's the first Chinese phone I've used where everything works without much hassle, including GPS. Camera is also decent by normal standards, and perfectly usable for snapshots.

Its main drawback is limited 3G support, as only the 2100 frequency is supported. A couple other very minor annoyances are the digitizer grid which can be seen in direct sunlight by turning the phone at a certain angle, the tendency of the screen to get dirty, and the average in-call audio quality. They don't pose a problem in use, in fact I bet most owners won't even notice them.

As for the rest, it's pretty great: the screen is very bright with good viewing angles colors and contrast; signal reception is ok, about the same as most other phones I had; firmware support is excellent, with two official ROMs (plain Android and Lewa) and frequent updates; GPS is very quick to fix and usually gets to 5m precision; audio quality through the headphone jack is pretty good, even usable by audiophile standards. Battery life is great, with moderate use I can do more than 3 days, heavy use a full day with something to spare.

For its price it's a very good phone, with good community support (there's an excellent thread on 4pda with English recoveries, custom ROMs, etc.). If you have any questions just ask and I'll try to answer them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ludoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

paiktaras
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludoo View Post
A slightly late reply. I've been using the Freelander branded version of this phone (Freelander i30) as my main device for the past month and a half, and I'm pretty impressed: it's the first Chinese phone I've used where everything works without much hassle, including GPS. Camera is also decent by normal standards, and perfectly usable for snapshots.

Its main drawback is limited 3G support, as only the 2100 frequency is supported. A couple other very minor annoyances are the digitizer grid which can be seen in direct sunlight by turning the phone at a certain angle, the tendency of the screen to get dirty, and the average in-call audio quality. They don't pose a problem in use, in fact I bet most owners won't even notice them.

As for the rest, it's pretty great: the screen is very bright with good viewing angles colors and contrast; signal reception is ok, about the same as most other phones I had; firmware support is excellent, with two official ROMs (plain Android and Lewa) and frequent updates; GPS is very quick to fix and usually gets to 5m precision; audio quality through the headphone jack is pretty good, even usable by audiophile standards. Battery life is great, with moderate use I can do more than 3 days, heavy use a full day with something to spare.

For its price it's a very good phone, with good community support (there's an excellent thread on 4pda with English recoveries, custom ROMs, etc.). If you have any questions just ask and I'll try to answer them.
Can you tell me that you have found 2 roms you mention?
1st DEVICE
NEXUS 4 (16GB)

2snd DEVICE
GALAXY TAB 10.1 (16GB)

ludoo
Old
Thanks Meter 56
You mean where have I found them? Sure

Newman K1 ROMs are released on the Newman BBS (forum) in this thread, they can also be found on the 4PDA thread in the formware section.

If instead you meant if I like them, the Lewa ROM is beautiful and very well done, but I prefer stock Android. They both work very well, rooting is easy with motochopper.

paiktaras
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
You mean where have I found them? Sure

Newman K1 ROMs are released on the Newman BBS (forum) in this thread, they can also be found on the 4PDA thread in the formware section.

If instead you meant if I like them, the Lewa ROM is beautiful and very well done, but I prefer stock Android. They both work very well, rooting is easy with motochopper.
and 2 Forum that suggest it is in non-intelligible languages for me, is there some topik here on xda or some anyway in English;
1st DEVICE
NEXUS 4 (16GB)

2snd DEVICE
GALAXY TAB 10.1 (16GB)

ludoo
Old
Thanks Meter 56
What's wrong with google translate?

Sent from my Newman K1 using Tapatalk 2

paiktaras
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
What's wrong with google translate?

Sent from my Newman K1 using Tapatalk 2

This is one solution ...
1st DEVICE
NEXUS 4 (16GB)

2snd DEVICE
GALAXY TAB 10.1 (16GB)

georger010
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

That's great, thanks for your input. It's been a nightmare trying to find any community support for this phone (in English anyway!). I've just ordered this from Merimobiles. When you mention about the screen getting dirty quite easily, do you mean smudge marks easily appear or that dirt gets easily trapped at the sides of the screen ? And how average is the audio quality, is it fairly difficult to understand what someone is saying or is the clarity just missing ? Thanks