[GUIDE][PAGE PLUS] Easy Method To Flash Boost Moto G To Page Plus w/ Voice, MMS + 3G

Search This thread

jcbrooks

Nov 7, 2016
Warning - Page Plus is deactivating Boost Moto G phones.

According to Page Plus, I have now lost all ownership / access to my phone number that I have used for almost 20 years. Because Page Plus, involuntarily, without my consent, while I was a current paying customer, currently using the phone, deactivated my phone number.

• I have had a phone number for almost 20 years.
  • For the last 2 to 3 years, this phone number has been with Page Plus Cellular (owned by TracFone Wireless), with regular service every month.
  • I have made service payments every month of these 2 to 3 years.
  • On October 1, 2016, I made a payment of $29.94 for 1 month of service.
  • The phone continued to work all of October 2016.
  • On November 1, 2016 I made a payment of $29.94 for 1 month of service.
  • The phone continued to work all of November 1, 2016 and November 2, 2016.
  • On November 2, 2016 I had sent and received texts on this phone with this phone number.
  • Some time on the day of November 3, 2016 the phone stopped working.
  • I called Page Plus Cellular customer service several times over the days of November 4, 2016 and November 5, 2016 and November 6, 2016.
  • Customer service told me that the service has been cancelled, that the phone has been deactivated, and that the phone number has been deactivated.
  • Customer service told me that the phone number can not be reactivated under any circumstances.
  • Customer service told me that I do not have any right or ability to claim this phone number, and that Page Plus Cellular now owns this phone number.
  • Customer service said that at some point in the future, Page Plus Cellular will reassign this phone number to a new customer at their discretion.
  • Customer service said that Page Plus Cellular will refuse to allow me to port this number over to another service provider.

The phone in question is an unlocked / flashed Boost Mobile Moto G XT1028 to work with Verizon / Page Plus. It seems that Verizon is cracking down on non-Verizon phones being used on their network (through Page Plus and other MVNOs). Talking to Page Plus, it seems that they swept through and deactivated a ton of accounts on November 3, 2016. And may continue to deactivate more. Although I think the business practice is sleazy and monopolistic, if they want to deactivate previously-working devices, that is their decision. However, the act of deactivating my actual number that I've used for almost 20 years is incredibly hostile. Placing your phone number into the forever-lost-abyss of "MDN aging" where numbers are not allowed to be used. And I think this was an accident on Page Plus's part. It also violates Page Plus's terms of service, since the phone number had a payment made on it just a few days prior to deactivation. Including calls and texts just a few days prior to deactivation.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? I've tried calling Page Plus customer service, but they are useless as always. They gave me the extension to be transferred to for "corporate" customer service in Miami, FL. But no one has answered there yet. I filed a complaint with the FCC, because I believe this violates FCC rules for number portability.

rvail623

May 23, 2014
AZ
The phone in question is an unlocked / flashed Boost Mobile Moto G XT1028 to work with Verizon / Page Plus. It seems that Verizon is cracking down on non-Verizon phones being used on their network (through Page Plus and other MVNOs). Talking to Page Plus, it seems that they swept through and deactivated a ton of accounts on November 3, 2016. And may continue to deactivate more. ......................

My 2x Moto G's (Boost Mobile flashed to Verizon/Page Plus) are still working normally, as of Dec. 2, 2016.
Compared to your PP account, my PP accounts are the low-usage $10/4 months air time: "talk only", with WiFi-only for data.
That minimal cost account type is limited to older non-4G capable phones, such as the 2013 Moto G XT1028.
Currently running Android 5.1: yours?
I would be surprised if your long-term phone number wouldn't somehow be transferable to another piece of hardware.
Even if you needed to purchase a compatible replacement phone direct from PagePlus.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I stumbled across this method while I was trying to flash my Boost Moto G over to Page Plus the traditional way with DFS/CDMA Workshop. I was having some trouble with it and ran into some issues flashing CM11 and bootlooping so I ended up needing to flash back to stock firmware. I decided to give the stock Verizon G firmware a try, hoping it wouldn’t brick my brand new phone, and it works beautifully. Everything works including stock OTA programming so there’s no need to mess around too much with flashing tools (except for one or two easy steps). A big plus to this method is the 3G data settings/keys get programmed properly OTA so you don’t need a donor phone or to pay someone $$ to flash it for you. It’s a little bit of a process but if you can follow the steps properly it’s fairly easy. Note: These are just the steps I took to make this work. Some may not be necessary but follow them anyway if you aren’t 100% sure of what you’re doing.

Edit: I've tested PAC ROM and Pink Kernel after flashing the Verizon firmware and voice and 3g still work and the rom is stable so far so most custom ROMs that work with the boost moto g should be fine to flash.

Disclaimer:
    I am not responsible for anything you do. If you brick your phone or it explodes, don’t blame me. This method was tested by me and worked for me but if you choose to follow this guide you do so at your own risk. If you’re not somewhat technically savvy or are very unsure about any of the steps below please have someone else help you or consider paying for a flash.

Edit (3/16): If you end up with a bootloop/brick please try to flash the stock Boost firmware again as this should bring your device back. You can get version 4.3 here and version 4.4.2 here.

Requirements:
    Your Phone’s MEID Activated With Page Plus
    Unlocked Bootloader (See Motorola Bootloader Unlock Site)
    Minimal ADB and Fastboot
    DFS Demo
    Verizon Stock Firmware Image (Check your "Android version" under Settings -> About Phone)
    > Android 4.3
    > Android 4.4.2
    > Firmware Flashing Guide (Written for version 4.3, see below for an additional step for 4.4.2 and automated scripts that are safer to use)
    Motorola USB Drivers
    Your Phone’s MSL/SPC Code (From Boost Activation or MSL Reader App)

Edit: For activating your MEID with Page Plus I recommend going through Kitty Wireless. They currently have a promotion going where you'll receive a free "The $12" plan with any new activation or port in and the service is free as well.

Steps:
    1) Go to the Boost Mobile website and activate your phone. You can do this without actually paying for the first month. The only reason we do this is to get the MSL/SPC code for your phone that is listed on the last page of the activation process. Make sure you save this code somewhere safe. Now I did the Hands Free Activation on my phone, and I don’t think you really need to, but it can’t hurt so I’d suggest you do it as well.

Edit (3/16): Apparently it's not necessary to OTA activate with Boost before flashing your phone so you can simply install this MSL Reader on your phone to get your SPC code without activating with Boost. Copy the apk to your SD card and then open and install it with a file manager or push it from your PC with "adb install SPCUtility.apk".

2) Unlock your bootloader. Go to Motorola’s bootloader unlocking site and follow their instructions. They tell you to install the Android SDK but it can be a large download so just get the Minimal ADB and Fastboot zip as that’s all you need to complete this process. Make sure you install the Motorola USB drivers as instructed because we’ll need them later on for DFS.

3) Now we need to reset your phone’s SPC to “000000” so Verizon OTA programming will work properly. You’ll need to start your phone in Fastboot mode (power off then hold the volume down and power button together until you boot into a system menu) then select the “BP Tools” option in that menu. This will boot your phone with the diagnostic port needed for DFS enabled. If the drivers fail to install automatically you’ll need to manually install them by going into Device Manager, finding the one with the red X called “Motorola QC Diagnostic Interface”, right-clicking and selecting “Update Driver Software…”, clicking “Browse my computer for driver software” then “Let me pick…”, choose the device type “Ports (COM & LPT)” and click next, then selecting the manufacturer “Motorola” and the driver “Motorola QC Diag Port” from the list. This is the only one we actually need so if there are others with a red X you can leave them as they are. Now, open DFS. Click “Ports” on the top left. Double-click on the port named “Motorola QC Diag Port”. DFS will automatically connect to your phone. Next we need to send the MSL code we got from the Boost activation. Type it into the “SPC” box under the “Ports” button and click the arrow to the left of the box. The log window should show “DEVICE UNLOCKED”. Now go to the “Programming” tab and click “Read” in the SPC section. It’ll show the MSL code you used and you need to change it to “000000” then click “Write”. Finally, click the “Reset” button on the top right and your phone will reboot. Make sure you do this because the changes won’t stick unless you do.

4) The next step is to flash the stock Verizon firmware to your phone. There’s already an excellent guide on that process so just download the Verizon image and follow those instructions.

Edit (3/16): The flashing guide linked here references version 4.3 of the firmware. If you're installing version 4.4.2 following the guide there are additional commands you need to execute. Here are all the commands necessary for 4.4.2:

fastboot flash aboot emmc_appsboot.mbn
    14 page Guide to flash to PPC

HERE IT IS!!!!
    This is based on the original post, but is updated to go straight to 4.4.2.

-Gets 3g/MMS/SMS/ Calls
    -Includes how to set up programs on PC with links to programs
    -Seems long, but includes lots of screen shots of what you should see.

Again, seems long but once you know what to do, it goes really fast. Probably less than 30 minutes start to finish. First time took over hour, getting PC set up and all...Now I've flashed to CM11, back to Verizon, back to Boost and back to Verizon and it is quick and painless, just boot to fastboot and run right batch file (see the document for the bat file code....)

(I can't post links yet, but copy and paste this into browser and you get the document)

superior-automation.com/temp/MotoG.pdf
    Solved DFS not finding QC Diag Port (USB PID not found)

I had a hell of a time with trying to get DFS to recognize my Moto G: the 2.4.5 driver didn't include the PID for it (XP 32-bit). Having the Android SDK installed didn't help. I tried the other ports technique but, unlike others' experience, no substitutions were offered.

I had to edit "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motorola Shared\Mobile Drivers\Drivers\motport.inf" and add a couple of lines:
    Code:
    %USBMOTQCDIAGPORT%    = USBMOTPORT, USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E91&MI_00
    %USBMOTQCDIAGPORT%    = USBMOTPORT, USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E29&MI_00
    (The %USBMOTOQCDIAGPORT% lines end around line 96 for 32-bit, around line 250 for 64-bit.) After editing, I was able to use this driver file normally.

A summary of what the Boost Moto G shows in device manager under 32-bit XP: no driver -> proper driver at Hardware ID:
    • Boot with Fastboot: Fastboot falcon S -> Motorola ADB Interface at USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E80
    • Boot normally as Boost: XT1031 at USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E82
    • Boot with BP Tools: USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E91
      • &MI_00 = Motorola QC Diag Interface -> Motorola QC Diag Port
      • &MI_01 = Motorola Communication Interface
      • &MI_02 = Motorola QC NMEA Interface]
      • &MI_03 = RmNet
      • &MI_04 = Motorola Networking Interface -> Motorola USB Networking Driver
      • &MI_05 = Motorola ADB Interface -> Mot Composite ADB Interface

After flashing firmware to Verizon Wireless:
    • Boot with Fastboot: Fastboot falcon S -> Motorola ADB Interface at USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E80 (unchanged)
    • Boot normally: XT1028 at USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E82 (unchanged except XT1031 instead of XT1028)
    • Boot normally, USB debugging enabled: USB Composite Device at USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E76 with:
      • &MI_00 = MTP
      • &MI_01 = Motorola ADB Interface
    • Boot with BP Tools: USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E29 (instead of 2E91; the six MI interfaces are identically numbered/named)
    (I didn't try USB debugging in Boost mode, so I don't know if it used 2E76 before.)

For those of you who had no trouble with DFS: Do you have QC Diag appearing at USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E91&MI_00 or USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E29&MI_00 ? Does your motport.inf include it?
    Guide update to 1.12

I've updated the guide to talk about the 4.4.4 update. I say: finish the flash to PPC and get working before applying the update. We KNOW 4.4.2 works. I don't have a new phone to check taking 4.4.4 first and going back to the 4.4.2 based ROMs is hard if the 4.4.4 doesn't work.

I had a friend run through the guide when he got a new Moto G. Computer literate but never flashed a phone before. Took him about 2.5 hours to get all software downloaded and phone running. I can do one in under 30 minutes with all software installed and knowing what steps to do.

Here is a link to the latest guide. link to MotoG to Pageplus Guide

BobPhone

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Does anyone think this could be adapted to the Moto X successfully? Would there be a major brick risk while untested?

Moto G is 3g only which makes it so nice: can use OTA activation for allot of the flashing. The X is 4g, which means it is going to be more work. My son has a Moto G on PPC, but wants an X because the 5gig of usable space on a G is pretty small. I've looked into it and looks like a Sprint branded Moto X is the easiest option to flash over to PPC. A Sprint X will be here tomorrow and I will flash this weekend. (And the method is almost less work than this, assuming it works....)

BobPhone
    I know it is a bit of a tangent, but I think because this thread is about making the phone usable on Page Plus, I think it will be relevant to many following this thread. What would be the best way to prevent the OTA updates from attempting to download without using any paid app?

Use package manager to disable any app/service. Root is required.

Code:
    pm disable {packagename}

To disable the ota update:

Code:
    pm disable com.motorola.ccc.ota