Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 41,683 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Buying advice: Surface RT

Tip us?

dark_master
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Info 2 Buying advice: Surface RT

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new tablet and I am thinking to buy a Microsoft Surface RT (the 1st gen). My biggest concern regarding this tablet is the problem with the lag that I've heard people complaining about. I've tried to find if this problem has been fixed with the update to Windows RT 8.1, but without much success. Do you guys have any feedback?

My budget is around 300 euros and I've been looking at Surface tablets and the Google Nexus 10, which is currently on discount. I think I would like the Surface more, but the potential issues with the lag have made me reconsider a bit.

What I plan to use the tablet for:
- Web browsing
- Reading
- Movies (is the surface able to handle 1080p? i might connect it to a tv)
- Some light document editing (this is where the Surface would be really handy)

I'm not interested too much in the app ecosystem (Android vs MS Store), so I wouldn't see that as a disadvantage when compared to the Nexus.

Thanks!

PS: Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.
The Following User Says Thank You to dark_master For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

9kay
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_master View Post
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new tablet and I am thinking to buy a Microsoft Surface RT (the 1st gen). My biggest concern regarding this tablet is the problem with the lag that I've heard people complaining about. I've tried to find if this problem has been fixed with the update to Windows RT 8.1, but without much success. Do you guys have any feedback?

My budget is around 300 euros and I've been looking at Surface tablets and the Google Nexus 10, which is currently on discount. I think I would like the Surface more, but the potential issues with the lag have made me reconsider a bit.

- Web browsing
- Reading

I'm not interested too much in the app ecosystem (Android vs MS Store), so I wouldn't see that as a disadvantage when compared to the Nexus.

Thanks!

PS: Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.
Try and save up to buy the Pro 2 Version because you will get let down buy the RT 2, it is sooooo limited
You will fall in love with it but be disappointed, like a beautiful woman who can only cook one sort of food.. Lamb and Smash are a while you will want the full meal..
I love the Surface but hate the way I got robbed by their MS Surface RT 2.
I want more..

acrossland
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Hi,
- Web browsing
- Reading
The RT will be more than able to handle this work, and then some. IE 10 (or IE 11 with Windows 8.1) are nicely-capable and standards-compliant browsers. The only lag that I ever notice here is when I visit a web site that is thick with awful Flash crap (usually ads). I found that this problem was significantly reduced after I turned on ad blocking as described in the Tricks and Tips thread.

As far as reading goes, there is a Kindle app that works nicely for any Kindle books that you own. The built-in Reader app will give you access to document formats like PDF; although, for my money it is limited. The App Store has some more capable alternatives. I find that I really enjoy using the Surface in Portrait mode for reading, as I can see a lot of text at one time.

Movies-wise, there is an excellent Netflix app and Hulu Plus. If you are wanting to watch DVD rips, you'll find that the built-in video app does have a frustratingly-limited selection of formats that it supports. If this is a major concern for you, take some of the media that you want to play on a microSD card to a store that sells RTs and try them out first.

The Surface comes with Office 2013 Home and Student edition, so that will take care of your Word, Excel, PowerPoint editing needs. There are also several free apps that provide excellent choices for general text-editing.

jimkraz
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I have a Surface RT, I also have a Surface Pro, the Surface Pro has replaced my Desktop, but I still use my RT for many things and for your money you cannot go wrong, I have/had a Samsung 10.1 tablet, the wife has it now, I just could not go back to it after I got the RT, go for it, you will not be sorry, lag ?, what lag.

DesertHawk
Old
Thanks Meter 5037

DONATE TO ME
I have a Surface RT 32GB which I bought for £160. This thing has replaced my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 ed. and feels much faster. It feels faster than my old Asus Transformer which used the same chipset. I use this more than my laptop which is I5 with 4GB RAM (HP Envy Spectre). But it won't replace my desktop. So yeah there is no lag. And all the apps you ever need are all on the Windows store like VLC and so on. Definitely a good purchase would recommend. Mine is 32GB (14GB User Available) so would recommend a 64 as I have to use a USB for my movies

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
View My Threads

CM10.2 Official for LG G2 and Samsung Tablet UI for Galaxy Note II

Excelsus for Xperia Z

And LOTS MORE

Retired Developer | Ex-Recognized Developer | Xperia Z2 & Galaxy S5

dark_master
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for your replies. If you google surface reviews, in many many of them you see people complaining that the tablet is sluggish. In addition, I've seen videos of 1080p movies having quite a bit of lag, which is why I was concerned.

Would it be better to try and get a Surface 2? From my point of view it doesn't make sense since you get almost the same experience. It's still Windows RT, you just get better performance and a better screen. I'm not sure that's worth an extra 150-200 euros. I'm not really interested in the Surface pro because it's too expensive. The 1st gen might be cheaper, but the battery life is quite bad and I don't want to carry around a charger all the time.

For those of you who upgraded from RT 8 to RT 8.1, was it a noticeable improvement in terms of performance?

rami niazi
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Thanks for your replies. If you google surface reviews, in many many of them you see people complaining that the tablet is sluggish. In addition, I've seen videos of 1080p movies having quite a bit of lag, which is why I was concerned.

Would it be better to try and get a Surface 2? From my point of view it doesn't make sense since you get almost the same experience. It's still Windows RT, you just get better performance and a better screen. I'm not sure that's worth an extra 150-200 euros. I'm not really interested in the Surface pro because it's too expensive. The 1st gen might be cheaper, but the battery life is quite bad and I don't want to carry around a charger all the time.

For those of you who upgraded from RT 8 to RT 8.1, was it a noticeable improvement in terms of performance?
The list of improvements with the 8.1 update that I have noticed in my surface rt
1. better performance and frame rate in the modern UI
2. Easier navigation for the modern UI
3. New apps became compatible
4. Office feels more fluid
5. Bugs with WiFi performance has gone
6. Better battery life about 8Ė9 hrs
7. Faster start up
8. Windows store delay bug vanished .

The only con is that no jail break yet for 8
After i got my surface rt, my laptop is collecting dust , along with my android tablets
I'm a teacher and I use office heavily... this thing is enough' for me , and I have the piece of mind I was missing with conventional windows , regarding malware and such...

DesertHawk
Old
Thanks Meter 5037

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Well firstly Surface RT isn't 1080 so that could be the problem. I am watching 720p videos and it plays them perfectly. No stutter at all.

The battery life is amazing on this. I'm an Android fanboy so I'd love to slate Microsoft but the battery life on this is very good, lasts for ages. I charge it once every two days, because after one day usage it still has juice and I'm watching movies, heavy internet browsing and so on

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
View My Threads

CM10.2 Official for LG G2 and Samsung Tablet UI for Galaxy Note II

Excelsus for Xperia Z

And LOTS MORE

Retired Developer | Ex-Recognized Developer | Xperia Z2 & Galaxy S5

rami niazi
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default bottom line

Buying advice ..bottom line
Don't believe reviews on the net .. this tablet is good
Surface 2 has the advantages in gaming and dual position kick stand ,, as a teacher I don't care about that
Touch cover is terrific
First gen surface rt became stable and good for the money just go for it ...
Who told you that battery life is bad ,, or there is lag ? This is not true man .. just to be on the safe side ,, do a complete reset in the recovery before updating to the new 81 ..and it will take time maybe full day

hemanigill
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Go for it : Microsoft Surface RT

Donít worry just go for the tablet, my friend bought it and he told me that it has a
USB ports and also expandable memory and believe me I have never seen him charging it as it has a long battery life. He says that it provides the best of reading and typing experience to its user. It is very light and one the MOST POPULAR iOS and android app in the market. Hope so it helped.

Tags
lag, performance, surface rt, windows rt 8.1