What Do You Do with All of Your Old Photos?

Smartphone cameras have advanced so tremendously over the past few years that they have … more

Diving into the April 2015 Material Design Update

Before the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop, the Holo Design guidelines served as the … more

New Cyanogen Partnerships Bring Privacy Concerns

New Privacy concerns have emerged regarding Cyanogen’s latest announcements, … more

PSA: Google Play Services Wakelock Affects Many 5.x ROMs

Wakelocks are the bane of the battery conscious, and this wakelock bug has been … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Microsoft Surface Pro sound way to quiet

27th February 2013, 04:14 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 102

684 posts
Out of all my devices that I have and have used my Surface Pro has the most quiet external speakers of them all.

Try to play a Netflix movie or show and have anything else going on around you and you won't even be able to hear it.

It's great with head phones on but I use this all the time for watching shows and movies while working out. Its so quiet I have to use headphones when I am on the treadmill or I cannot hear it playing while the treadmill is on.

I hope Microsoft addresses this on the next model.

Love my Surface Pro, it is by far the best device I have used so I can easily live with the sound issue.

If your are thinking about buying it, stop reading this, go to a store or order from their site and get one NOW.

I own a network technology company and handle IT support for a lot of companies and I can do everything on this (using it to type right now) that I could do with a full blown PC setup. I have also owned every tablet, laptop, and device that has ever come out so trust me when I say it is great.

This unit has replaced my Lenovo Yoga 13, and my Samsung Ativ 500 and 700 with no issues. I have also had every Samsung and Asus tablet and this is a bad boy. This also includes the Tab and Note series.

7th March 2013, 05:22 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 45

933 posts
Hey not sure if this will help you but it works well on things that are low volume at the source.

Go to your sound settings in the control panel, go to speaker properties, then enhancements, then enable "Loudness Equalization" and click settings and set the "Release Time" to shortest.

This might actually make your videos sound worse through headphones but when using the external speakers it normalizes the volume so that extremely low sounds are louder and extremely loud sounds are softer.

Also this might not work well with applications that have built-in sound normalization like MPC-HC so you might want to only enable it when you're watching netflix or youtube or other flash based media that doesn't have built in normalization.
9th March 2013, 05:57 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 30

346 posts
More
IMO the sound's loud enough, louder than all my tablets and my old dell laptop. But definitely softer than my brother's MSI gaming laptop.
11th March 2013, 04:53 PM |#4  
Flag Redlands, CA
Thanks Meter: 37

158 posts
More
RT is the same. Bummer, but oh well. I use a Belkin bluetooth receiver with my old computer speakers, works GREAT!
12th March 2013, 09:51 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 325

1,619 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Lang

RT is the same. Bummer, but oh well. I use a Belkin bluetooth receiver with my old computer speakers, works GREAT!

Hmm, sounds like a good idea for me actually. Might have to invest in one.
14th July 2014, 09:36 PM |#6  
Flag Vermont
Thanks Meter: 19

167 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan

Hey not sure if this will help you but it works well on things that are low volume at the source.

Go to your sound settings in the control panel, go to speaker properties, then enhancements, then enable "Loudness Equalization" and click settings and set the "Release Time" to shortest.

This might actually make your videos sound worse through headphones but when using the external speakers it normalizes the volume so that extremely low sounds are louder and extremely loud sounds are softer.

Also this might not work well with applications that have built-in sound normalization like MPC-HC so you might want to only enable it when you're watching netflix or youtube or other flash based media that doesn't have built in normalization.

You sir.. where do I send beer money.. My Surface is finally louder than a mute mouse.. YAY
15th July 2014, 12:38 AM |#7  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,825

5,951 posts
More
For what it's worth, if you have an original Surface Pro or the Pro 2, you may be able to use Ears (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...urface-tablets). They're not on sale yet (and the Kickstarter project has ended) but they should be available for purchase after the KS backers receive theirs.

I don't know if the Surface Pro 3 will be supported though.
12th March 2015, 10:39 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Thumbs up You ROCK!!! Thank you so much!
Thank you so much! You have no idea how much grief that has caused. That is something that has driven me crazy since the day I got my Surface! Now I love my Surface
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread