Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,536 Members 52,796 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stuck with a possibly bad bootloader

Tip us?

Headcase_Fargone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Stuck with a possibly bad bootloader

Hi all,

I posted this in the S3 specific forum but not getting a lot of traction there. Just picked up a refurbished AT&T Galaxy S3 (i747) and it appears to have the T-Mobile (T999) bootloader for some reason.

Here's what I've found model and version-wise...

System settings - About device:
Model number SGH-I747
Android version 4.1.2 (stock Touchwiz)
Build number I747ZSEMC1

Info app from Play store:
Boot loader version T999UVDMD5
Finger print samsung/d2vl/d2can:4.1.1/JRO03l/I747ZSEMC:user/release-keys
Product d2vl
Model SGH-I747

Download Mode shows T999 bootloader.

Putting a T-Mobile sim in registers on the network and for some reason I get H+, which I didn't think was possible with the I747 AT&T model. Don't have an AT&T sim to test with at the moment.

I've tried flashing the I747 4.1.2 bootloader but I get different error messages depending on which recovery I use to flash it.

Stock recovery:

Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Clockworkmod:

E:Error in (file path and name)
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

TWRP:

E:Error executing updater binary in zip (file path and name)
Updating partition details...
Failed

I've also tried using the Cyanogenmod installer under Windows and it says that it installed successfully but Touchwiz is still there. I noticed a red triangle during the process as well so I suspected it wasn't working.

My primary concern right now is how can I fix this bootloader issue so I can get a more recent rom on it? Any suggestions?

Headcase_Fargone
Old
(Last edited by Headcase_Fargone; 9th March 2014 at 07:42 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Anyone have any ideas at all? I've tried flashing a number of bootloaders in Odin and continue to get errors like "FAIL! (Auth)" and "SECURE CHECK FAIL : aboot." I can't flash anything in recovery it seems.

I can still get into stock Touchwiz and CWM recovery and Download Mode, but I can't seem to get ANYTHING to flash properly on this device.

Edit: It seems to always fail on aboot.mbn, which I'm reading can be caused by a locked bootloader. Anything I can do about that?

Headcase_Fargone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
I was able to flash AOKP 4.4, I'm assuming because it didn't mess with the bootloader any. Baseband version is still showing as T999UVDMD5. If I try to flash something like Cyanogenmod I get a bootloader error and it fails.

Everything in build.prop shows SGH-I747 and d2att as the device model. I don't understand why it has a T-Mobile bootloader. Anyone know how to fix this?

flipster64
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the exact opposite problem. It's an SGH-T999 that ids itself as an i747 in download mode. I can flash some things with Odin, but not full ROM tars ... I did flash Philz recovery and use it to flash other roms as zips ... but having trouble doing other things with it. And since I lost the IMEI and need it to talk over RMNET to fix that ... I think it's this i747 firmware that's messing me up.

Headcase_Fargone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
I wouldn't even worry about it now that AOKP 4.4.2 flashed okay, but the camera doesn't work and I can't seem to find a working solution. One thing after another...