FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Why does the Link2SD application not link /data/data too?

32 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By jmomo, Member on 18th August 2012, 08:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
From the Link2SD FAQ:
Quote:

Link2SD does not link application's private data files that are located in /data/data directory, they remain in the internal storage. Thus each app you install will still have some data on the internal storage so you can still potentially fill up your internal storage even if you are moving all of your apps over.

Why is this the case? There are other Linking apps which do move /data/data files. Why would Link2SD not do this?

I wish to ask this before I go bothering the application author. I figure there is some well-known issue here which I am not aware of.

I may have to switch linking apps because my /data part is getting too full, mostly due to Google's crappy maps and browser apps, which are horrifically fat.

5th September 2012, 12:52 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Data Linking ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmomo

From the Link2SD FAQ:

Why is this the case? There are other Linking apps which do move /data/data files. Why would Link2SD not do this?

I wish to ask this before I go bothering the application author. I figure there is some well-known issue here which I am not aware of.

I may have to switch linking apps because my /data part is getting too full, mostly due to Google's crappy maps and browser apps, which are horrifically fat.

I too have this issue, and am now running low on internal space (mainly due to the huge data\data folder) ...

Can you tell me the name(s) of the other apps that provide linking the data folder ?
5th September 2012, 01:58 PM |#3  
Flag Eindhoven
Thanks Meter: 151

More
I believe app data isn't moved, because it will make your phone laggy as hell. Guess the dev chose for finding more space, but not at the cost of speed.
5th September 2012, 10:14 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommert38

I believe app data isn't moved, because it will make your phone laggy as hell. Guess the dev chose for finding more space, but not at the cost of speed.

This makes no sense at all. In many cases, newer SD cards are FASTER than the internal flash on older phones.

Please don't guess wildly about stuff you don't understand.
5th September 2012, 10:34 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_bizzzz

I too have this issue, and am now running low on internal space (mainly due to the huge data\data folder) ...

Can you tell me the name(s) of the other apps that provide linking the data folder ?

S2E does it, but from what I've seen, it's only for Cyanogen.
5th September 2012, 10:58 PM |#6  
Flag Eindhoven

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmomo

This makes no sense at all. In many cases, newer SD cards are FASTER than the internal flash on older phones.

Please don't guess wildly about stuff you don't understand.

Sustained write/read speeds don't tell the whole story, as you may know (probably not). You probably believe the more megapixels a camera sensor has, the better? Also, the phone must support those faster µSD cards. Seeing you've only been here for half a year and you've only contributed with a dozen posts, I can say for certain that you've never read any warnings for not moving app-data. It's not your fault.

Unfortunately, I noticed that all the new people coming here have no respect or decency and think they know everything already. Guess what: you don't know **** . So, like I already said before, drop the attitude.
6th September 2012, 01:25 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Respectfully, you are simply wrong.

Modern SD cards are faster than the internal flash on older phones, which are the phones that need apps like Link2SD. I don't know about more modern phones.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=934087

Bonnie++ is the best way, that I know of, to benchmark a flash storage devices, but it's not for noobs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1169910

I remember running bonnie++ against my Nexus One and a cheap 16GB card about a year ago when that above post was made and my SD card was faster than the internal flash in almost every way, and that was then.

Yes, my post count is low. XDA Devs is full of loud noobs who think writing a java app or rooting a phone makes them a leet technical resource. I've been writing software and managing unix systems for over a decade.
6th September 2012, 02:52 AM |#8  
Flag Eindhoven

More
Well, sir, you go ahead and put your app-data on your µSD . Benchmarks are for [random word].

Did I also mention that somehow some new members are bragging about what they have achieved and are capable of, while they haven't made themselves useful in any way? If not, now I did.
12th April 2013, 01:33 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Is there still no possibility to move also the data folder (e.g of games)? Most of my applications are rather small and most space is taken by the game data folders.
20th April 2013, 12:49 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
tommert38 is correct here.
Because there is no guarantee, that if your sdcard is fast, it'a also faster than your internal flash. There are more dependies than only the speed of the card. What are the specs of the nexus one sd-reader? This could be an popotentially barrier.

At least: Which size supports the nexus one for sd-cards?
14th June 2013, 12:52 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I agree with the OP about this. If it is a worry about the speed, i'm sure mr. bulent akpinar can at least provide an option in the app to enable/disable saving /data/data to the link2sd partition. everybody happy!

here's a link to the original link2sd thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=919326 maybe the app author can take note of it as a suggestion for future updates
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)