Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,541 Members 53,933 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What is a nightly Build?

Tip us?

24bronco
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default What is a nightly Build?

Can anyone tell me what is a nightly build? Ive read over at the Development forum in the Cyonegen thread. there are mentions of a nightly build ROM. What is this?

Thanks in advance
Tmo Samsung Galaxy Note III

stuff
Old
Thanks Meter 49
If my definition if correct, it's one that is still being worked on. Not like a regular one with a few bugs. This is like a build before they would announce it a beta/rc.

Kinda like an underground build for only the advanced
Red Samsung Galaxy S III

Google Nexus 7

f2003554
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Yes. Its the 'current build'. Another way to look at it - better two beta builds.

jjss75
Old
Thanks Meter 1
my understanding of nightly builds are that those builds are not supported in any way, they are experimental. flashing them on our phones=120% our responsibility even if it crashes. u find links at some places but i guess theres a reason for it to not be out in the open.
Nexus One | CM6 | 16gb Class 6 microSD

khaytsus
Old
Thanks Meter 1,082
Nightly build = An automatic build from a codebase.

Simple as that. Implies it's untested, and yes, could eat babies as the other replies imply.
AT&T LG G2 - 4.4.4, AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.4, AOKP (m-kernel)
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com

pzumk
Old
Thanks Meter 33

DONATE TO ME
In software development, a neutral build is a build that reflects the current state of the source code checked into the source code version control system by the developers, but without any developer-specific changes.
A nightly build is a neutral build that takes place automatically. These typically take place when no one is likely to be working in the office so that there are no changes to the source code during the build. The results of the build are inspected by the arriving programmers, who generally place a priority on ensuring the recent changes to the source code have not broken the build process or functionality of the software.
When someone says a developer "broke the build", they are effectively saying that a developer checked in code which might very well have compiled (and hopefully also run properly) in their account, but does not compile (and therefore, cannot be run) in anyone else's account. This is typically due to additional developer-specific changes that were either not checked in, or (in the case of environment variables, etc.) were modifications to systems not under revision control. One of the most common cases is remembering to check in all modified files, but forgetting to add newly created files to the repository. If the other developers check out the new code without being aware of the problem, their work may grind to a halt while they wait for the problem to be fixed (or try to fix it themselves, which can be even more problematic, if multiple developers attempt to fix the issue at the same time). This naturally can result in a significant loss of productivity.
Neutral builds are important for software development processes running at high loads with short schedules; not having them means that any build that needs to be created for the Software Quality Assurance department has to be created using code which may be in the middle of major modifications, and which would best be left out of a build for testing (particularly a build being evaluated for possible release).
Neutral builds can be done on a machine which is also used for active development if enough caution is taken, but it is safer to dedicate a machine to that purpose because an issue in the build process could cause the machine to become unstable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightly_build
currently
iPhone 5 (Sep '12 to now)
iOS 7, jailbroken

old
Nexus 4 (June '13 to July '13)
Android 4.2.2, root
iPhone 4S (Jan '12 to Sep '12)
iOS 7
Nexus One (Jan '10 to Jan '12)
CyanogenMod 7
Samsung Omnia SGH-i900 (Dec '09 to Jan '10)
Windows Mobile 6.1
LG KM900 Arena (Apr '09 to Nov '09)
S-Class
Sony Ericsson W880i (mid '09)
modded/patched firmware
Sony Ericsson W810i (Nov '07 to Apr '09)
modded/patched firmware
Siemens MC60 (? to Nov '07)
Nokia 3410 ('04 to ?)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pzumk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

24bronco
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Thank you everyone!!
Tmo Samsung Galaxy Note III
The Following User Says Thank You to 24bronco For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sonnyford
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Not sure if this is where to ask.....…but if you load the latest nightly tenderloin build for my touchpad, do you need any of the previous builds I still have not loaded
?????

Chromium
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,954

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyford View Post
Not sure if this is where to ask.....…but if you load the latest nightly tenderloin build for my touchpad, do you need any of the previous builds I still have not loaded
?????
No.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

sonnyford
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromium View Post
No.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app
Thanks for the reply. Where can I ask if I can unload the old web is I still have in my touchpad that is now shared with the android system you guys helped me install? Thanks again for all the help