Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,029 Members 42,402 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

NEWBIE @ LG G2 : starting... from what rom...

Tip us?

PYCON
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 139
Angry NEWBIE @ LG G2 : starting... from what rom...

Hi all,

as u perhaps already know, after almost 3 years with my beloved LG 2X, I bought the LG G2 D802 32 GB last week

Now... I've installed the LG Drivers onto my Win 8.1... I've rooted the phone and installed TWRP recovery.

It's time to flash my first custom rom on the new little monster

But what rom ? I've seen that some roms are sized 1 GB while others... 200 MB ( as almost all roms of my other android' based devices ). Obvioulsy I've looking for a 4.4.2 rom. From what rom it's better to begin ? Actually, what's most stable 4.4.2 rom ?

Thx in advance

PHONE : LG Optimus 2X ( P990 ) --- LG G2 32 GB ( D802 )
ROM : CM11.0 4.4.4 Tonyp V 16.07.14 --- CM11.0 4.4.4 Pac Man V 04.07.14
CLOCK : 216 MHz / 1.200 Mhz --- 300 MHz / 2.265 MHz
RECOVERY : TWRP 2.7.1.0 --- TWRP 2.7.1.0

MY WEB SITE : http://pycon.jimdo.com

waleedshiekh
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYCON View Post
Hi all,

as u perhaps already know, after almost 3 years with my beloved LG 2X, I bought the LG G2 D802 32 GB last week

Now... I've installed the LG Drivers onto my Win 8.1... I've rooted the phone and installed TWRP recovery.

But what rom ? I've seen that some roms are sized 1 GB while others... 200 MB ( as almost all roms of my other android' based devices ). Obvioulsy I've looking for a 4.4.2 rom. From what rom it's better to begin ? Actually, what's most stable 4.4.2 rom ?

Thx in advance
It depends upon your choice either Stock or AOSP based.

Start with PA4.1 or CyanoGenMOD 11.
Current Device
Xperia Z2 (D6503)
Previously Used
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005)
LG G2 D802
Nexus 4
Sony Xperia P

PYCON
Old
(Last edited by PYCON; 10th March 2014 at 12:40 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by waleedshiekh View Post
It depends upon your choice either Stock or AOSP based.

Start with PA4.1 or CyanoGenMOD 11.
As I can remember, for example, for my 2X... I held the stock original rom for first 4 days Then only cyanogen, paranoid, pacman, kang etc etc rom, I think all cyano's based I've always thought the cyanogen with reduced sizes rather than stock may be slim, lite and fastest than stock... My opinion, my hope.

PS If I use hot reboot or a similar app to reboot into recovery, no problem. TWRP starts, I'm able to backup the system, etc. If I use the vol - & power on button, no way to enter into TWRP

waleedshiekh
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
As I can remember, for example, for my 2X... I held the stock original rom for first 4 days Then only cyanogen, paranoid, pacman, kang etc etc rom, I think all cyano's based

PS If I use hot reboot or a similar app to reboot into recovery, no problem. TWRP starts, I'm able to backup the system, etc. If I use the vol - & power on button, no way to enter into TWRP
1. Power off the phone.
2. Hold Vol Down + Power button
3. When LG logo flashes leave power button and hold it again (Don't leave volume down button)
4. You will reach to Hard Reset menu press power button twice
5. Instead of hard resetting you will be moved to TWRP/CWM.
Current Device
Xperia Z2 (D6503)
Previously Used
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005)
LG G2 D802
Nexus 4
Sony Xperia P
The Following User Says Thank You to waleedshiekh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PYCON
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by waleedshiekh View Post
1. Power off the phone.
2. Hold Vol Down + Power button
3. When LG logo flashes leave power button and hold it again (Don't leave volume down button)
4. You will reach to Hard Reset menu press power button twice
5. Instead of hard resetting you will be moved to TWRP/CWM.
I'll try...

ivanferdino
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Hi all,

Thx in advance
PA 4.1
Nameless rom
cyanogenmod 11
slimkat (but i had an overheating issue)

Kickoff
Old
Thanks Meter 142

DONATE TO ME
First, you have to decide between AOSP exeprience or LG Android experience. I tried several AOSP ROM-s cuz KK but went always back to the modified stock ROM's. Why?

a) QuickWindow.
b) There are some LG Apps I like (QuickRemote, SplitView tec)
c) I use my G2 with my corporate exchange mail account and have never used a better email application than the LGEmail before. I can set out of office replies from the application.
d) Not a big deal but I really like the weather animation on my lockscreen.
e) I cannot live without the horizontal quick settings and became frustrated on the classical quick settings on any AOSP ROM (even if there are some 3rd party solutions).

My personal recommendation: do not play with 4.4.2 (LG) ROM-s, try CloudyFlex 1.4 - very nice and stable. As long as there is no official update from LG for open phones and no custom recovery on KK and no Xposed 2.5 I won't switch to 4.4.2.

However, everything is matter of personal taste. Try and decide yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kickoff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PYCON
Old
(Last edited by PYCON; 10th March 2014 at 02:58 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanferdino View Post
PA 4.1
Nameless rom
cyanogenmod 11
slimkat (but i had an overheating issue)
I'm not able to find Paranoid Android for G2... it exists ??? Where ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickoff View Post
First, you have to decide between AOSP exeprience or LG Android experience. I tried several AOSP ROM-s cuz KK but went always back to the modified stock ROM's. Why?

Let me reply :

a) QuickWindow : the possibility of reduce the size of an app, like in windows OS ? Not so usefull, for my usage...
b) There are some LG Apps I like (QuickRemote, SplitView tec) : quick remote is wonderful, I've found the porting of this app for any kind of roms... I've to test it.
c) I use my G2 with my corporate exchange mail account and have never used a better email application than the LGEmail before. I can set out of office replies from the application : I use aqua mail
d) Not a big deal but I really like the weather animation on my lockscreen : not so usefull, for my usage...
e) I cannot live without the horizontal quick settings and became frustrated on the classical quick settings on any AOSP ROM (even if there are some 3rd party solutions) : ya, it's true, really nice

Thx u man

PS I've read that with stock kitkat, there's no way to make usable CWM / TWRP recovery... :-o It's true ?!

ivanferdino
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Hi all,

Thx in advance
Quote:
I'm not able to find Paranoid Android for G2... it exists ??? Where ???

Let me reply :

a) QuickWindow : the possibility of reduce the size of an app, like in windows OS ? Not so usefull, for my usage...
b) There are some LG Apps I like (QuickRemote, SplitView tec) : quick remote is wonderful, I've found the porting of this app for any kind of roms... I've to test it.
c) I use my G2 with my corporate exchange mail account and have never used a better email application than the LGEmail before. I can set out of office replies from the application : I use aqua mail
d) Not a big deal but I really like the weather animation on my lockscreen : not so usefull, for my usage...
e) I cannot live without the horizontal quick settings and became frustrated on the classical quick settings on any AOSP ROM (even if there are some 3rd party solutions) : ya, it's true, really nice

Thx u man

PS I've read that with stock kitkat, there's no way to make usable CWM / TWRP recovery... :-o It's true ?!
PA LINK:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2502789

with stock KK you will lose custom recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to ivanferdino For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PYCON
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 139
Before to attempt to flash my first rom ( PA ), I've read some topics about to recover a bricked phone...

Not very nice to read 32 GB that become 16 GB

There's a guide / help / how to, in order to avoid ANY problem ? Or a guide to recover the phone with correct rom version ( I've a G2 D802 32 GB Italian ) ?