FORUMS

Google No Longer Sending Calendar SMS Notifications

In a not entirely surprising move, Google announced that it’s putting an … more

Enable Multi-Window Mode on M Developer Preview

What was not mentioned in yeterday’s keynote was Android M’s multi-window … more

I/O Summary: Google Cardboard Virtual Reality

One year ago, Google introduced cardboard. Amazingly enough, that was all it took to fire … more

Android M Preview Images – XDA TV

Android M preview images are available. That and much more news is covered by Jordan when he … more

Virus install attempt when entering the site..

Thanks Meter: 306

By bonesy, Senior Member on 14th March 2014, 01:09 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
So I thought it may just be me but after getting a fee people to test it seems this site is trying to install malicious software when you visit and are not logged in (mobile device) I've included some screen shots as I think this is quite a big security breach with the amount of users here..

Isn't the while point if the forums to stop things like this? I sure as hell don't expect XDA DEVS to need to install this app on my own phone. I was under the assumption that developers could be trusted on here so why the need for this? Also a simple search on Google flags it as malware

14th March 2014, 02:43 PM |#2  
XDA:Administrator
Thanks Meter: 1,500

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesy

So I thought it may just be me but after getting a fee people to test it seems this site is trying to install malicious software when you visit and are not logged in (mobile device) I've included some screen shots as I think this is quite a big security breach with the amount of users here..

Isn't the while point if the forums to stop things like this? I sure as hell don't expect XDA DEVS to need to install this app on my own phone. I was under the assumption that developers could be trusted on here so why the need for this? Also a simple search on Google flags it as malware

Thank you for reporting this - this isn't something XDA itself is promoting but it is coming through one of our ad networks and we have been unable to track it down. Did it take you to the play store to install that App? Or did it download the APK directly?
14th March 2014, 02:44 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cornwall, united kingdom

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for responding.First time was just for the apk second time it was play store
14th March 2014, 02:58 PM |#4  
XDA:Administrator
Thanks Meter: 1,500

More
Quote:

Thanks for responding.First time was just for the apk second time it was play store

Was it for the same app?
14th March 2014, 04:32 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cornwall, united kingdom

Donate to Me
More
I'll try to replicate it to get the non market one again as I denied the dload when it asked. Will report back
14th March 2014, 04:51 PM |#6  
Flag Nashville
Thanks Meter: 84

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'll try to replicate it to get the non market one again as I denied the dload when it asked. Will report back

I go that on a different site yesterday. Bad popup ad with no ability to click out of it. What happens when a site doesn't screen their advertisers, they get to look like idiots.

As a note, my bet is it's "Clean Master" as I'm seeing that same general popup without the virus warnings today.
Last edited by mildlydisturbed; 14th March 2014 at 04:56 PM.
15th March 2014, 04:20 PM |#7  
Flag Kerala
Thanks Meter: 180

More
I applied xda reconized contributer form last month . I got a reply including a link containing comments of my application reviewer . I just follow that link , but I get Notification from my antivirus about bug contents .

Sent from my GT-S7562 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to AlfasMP For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread