[REPAIR HARD BRICK] Test Point For Xperia Z1 Compact

OP munjeni

15th March 2014, 11:29 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 16,293

5,065 posts
Hi! Yesterday I done stupid thing to my phone which hard bricked my phone Played with GPT gdisk, restored wrong gpt backup which killed my device, phone was dead after reboot, had no fastboot, had no bootloader, only had led blinking red-green . But good news I have repaired my phone sucesfully ! Was a bit lucky since I saved my GPT backup so after unbricking I restored my GPT, than restored TA, rebooted and flashed everything normaly. Device finaly booted

WARNING TO ALL:
1. DO NOT PLAY WITH FDISK OR GDISK IF YOU NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING SINCE YOUR DEVICE WILL BE HARD BRICKED !!! If you mess your gpt table or change them your device can not be flashed using pc companion or flashtool!!! If you brick gpt table than you will notice hard brick, so my segestion is: do not be stupid like me!!! I was very stupid yesterday and done very bad thing to my new phone using these tools.

Searched for about an hour for pins on my phone and finaly found test point pins, hope picture will save your time, nerve and your device!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg
Views:	2971
Size:	513.8 KB
ID:	2631800  
Last edited by munjeni; 9th July 2014 at 07:01 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to munjeni For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2014, 01:11 PM   |  #2  
Flag Iloilo City
Thanks Meter: 1,677

2,877 posts
Donate to Me
More
Which part is the testpoint @munjeni ? Is it the top one or the one below? Just curious what are you doing with GPT partition? lol!

Also since you opened your Z1C already... Mind if I ask but is there any trigger button or something on the hooks of the flaps? Can't really tell how the phone detects the flap cause on my device it keeps on popping up even when flaps are closed. I think I have some broken flap sensor or something lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by munjeni

Hi! Yesterday I done stupid thing to my phone which hard bricked my phone Played with GPT gdisk, restored wrong gpt backup which killed my device, phone was dead after reboot, had no fastboot, had no bootloader, only had led blinking red-green . But good news I have repaired my phone sucesfully ! Was a bit lucky since I saved my GPT backup so after unbricking I restored my GPT, than restored TA, rebooted and flashed everything normaly. Device finaly booted

WARNING TO ALL:
1. DO NOT PLAY WITH FDISK OR GDISK IF YOU NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING SINCE YOUR DEVICE WILL BE HARD BRICKED !!! If you mess your gpt table or change them your device can not be flashed using pc companion or flashtool!!! If you brick gpt table than you will notice hard brick, so my segestion is: do not be stupid like me!!! I was very stupid yesterday and done very bad thing to my new phone using these tools.

Searched for about an hour for pins on my phone and finaly found test point pins, hope picture will save your time, nerve and your device! I will not write full tutorial, but if some one need help than please ask here I will help you! ENJOY!

Last edited by Riyal; 15th March 2014 at 01:17 PM.
15th March 2014, 01:46 PM   |  #3  

5,065 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyal

Which part is the testpoint @munjeni ? Is it the top one or the one below? Just curious what are you doing with GPT partition? lol!

Also since you opened your Z1C already... Mind if I ask but is there any trigger button or something on the hooks of the flaps? Can't really tell how the phone detects the flap cause on my device it keeps on popping up even when flaps are closed. I think I have some broken flap sensor or something lol!

Test point is "right pin", "left pin" is gnd. To get into emergency flashmode you need to connect gnd with testpoint.

What I done? I tried to resize userdata + create vfat on remaining free space so after unsucesfull atempt I restored wrong gpt backup thats killed my phone.

About flap... I captured only one picture and I no looked into hook on the flaps, my phone is asembled, hope I will not open them again
Last edited by munjeni; 15th March 2014 at 01:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to munjeni For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2014, 02:04 PM   |  #4  
Flag Iloilo City

2,877 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ahh I see thanks for this valuable info! Yeah I know about the gnd thing I usually make the usb port the ground when I do testpoint in the past haha! Hopefully though this info won't come in handy to me in the near future! Are you trying to split userdata so you're able to create a mountable internal storage? Hmm I'm not sure if thats possible just by splitting userdata partition though... I think bootloader checks for the hex size and partition list of the partitions. Altering it might hard brick your device. You would have to reverse engineer the bootloader first before you'll be able to alter partitions in mmcblk0 I think.

Quote:

Test point is "right pin", "left pin" is gnd. To get into emergency flashmode you need to connect gnd with testpoint.

What I done? I tried to resize userdata + create vfat on remaining free space so after unsucesfull atempt I restored wrong gpt backup thats killed my phone.

About flap... I captured only one picture and I no looked into hook on the flaps, my phone is asembled, hope I will not open them again

15th March 2014, 02:51 PM   |  #5  

5,065 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyal

Ahh I see thanks for this valuable info! Yeah I know about the gnd thing I usually make the usb port the ground when I do testpoint in the past haha! Hopefully though this info won't come in handy to me in the near future! Are you trying to split userdata so you're able to create a mountable internal storage? Hmm I'm not sure if thats possible just by splitting userdata partition though... I think bootloader checks for the hex size and partition list of the partitions. Altering it might hard brick your device. You would have to reverse engineer the bootloader first before you'll be able to alter partitions in mmcblk0 I think.

On Xperia Go it was possible without needs for patching bootloader, so I thinked its possible on Z1C but I was fataly wrong. On X-Go I have resized system,cache,userdata and increased internal storage with sucess. You are right about Z1C since there is a check by bootloader, and allso there is check by bootloader about gpt! So if your gpt is not original than your phone will have fastboot and s1boot but you will not be abble to flash since you will get internal error message by flasher (tried sony pc companion, tried sony flasher, tried s1tool, tried flashtool and no one was abble to flash, only had a luck after restoring my gpt backup which I had saved)! So guys do not touch partitions!
Last edited by munjeni; 15th March 2014 at 03:06 PM.
15th March 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #6  
Flag Iloilo City

2,877 posts
Donate to Me
More
As far as I know this bootloader security thing already exist on Xperia 2011 line so really weird that Xperia Go doesn't have such. I actually did what you have done on Z1C before on the Xperia Pro since that device has a large system partition and no userdata partition. Thankfully though I noticed the bootloader security before doing anything. It's a little bit possible to hex edit the bootloader to adjust the partition size but I didn't pursue it Don't have guts

Quote:

On Xperia Go it was possible without needs for patching bootloader, so I thinked its possible on Z1C but I was fataly wrong. On X-Go I have resized system,cache,userdata and increased internal storage with sucess. You are right about Z1C since there is a check by bootloader, and allso there is check by bootloader about gpt! So if your gpt is not original than your phone will have fastboot and s1boot but you will not be abble to flash since you will get internal error message by flasher (tried sony pc companion, tried sony flasher, tried s1tool, tried flashtool and no one was abble to flash, only had a luck after restoring my gpt backup which I had saved)! So guys do not touch partitions!

29th March 2014, 10:06 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 5

144 posts
good to hear that i restored wrong TA partition and had the same problem

how u restored ur TA Files ???

my device is Z1 and i know where is the testpoint
29th March 2014, 11:16 PM   |  #8  

5,065 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by escoda

good to hear that i restored wrong TA partition and had the same problem

how u restored ur TA Files ???

my device is Z1 and i know where is the testpoint

Huh, I don't know how you can restore TA back to phone! I had broken gpt disk and not TA! Since your TA is broken probably you will need jtag since testpoint method can not restore TA, I don't have jtag pinouts so I can not help you, sorry!
Last edited by munjeni; 29th March 2014 at 11:19 PM.
30th March 2014, 01:54 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 5

144 posts
Quote:

Huh, I don't know how you can restore TA back to phone! I had broken gpt disk and not TA! Since your TA is broken probably you will need jtag since testpoint method can not restore TA, I don't have jtag pinouts so I can not help you, sorry!

is there any way to restore TA with testpoint ???
30th March 2014, 08:45 AM   |  #10  

5,065 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by escoda

is there any way to restore TA with testpoint ???

Maybe if you have flashtool based TA_backup.ta so maybe you can inject that into fota-reset.ta for example. If you have no these backup we can try to generate them based on your raw ta backup, I think thats not hard generating them!
Last edited by munjeni; 30th March 2014 at 09:09 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread