Google launcher bug in 4.4.2?

OP tyler valo

12th December 2013, 04:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
After I put 4.4.2 on my tablet i suddenly had icons and folders disappear, the clock widget won't remain in the center and my page with 2 widgets side by side no longer fit. Anyone else seen these bugs?
12th December 2013, 06:05 PM   |  #2  
Flag providence, RI
Thanks Meter: 50

769 posts
More
Same issue here. Have three folders on the left of the launcher and two on the right. When I add a new folder on the right of the launcher button, it disappears when I reboot same goes for any widgets

Oh and it's not a 4.4.2 issue, it's the latest version of Google search that's causing it. Not affecting my HTC One.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Last edited by question.com; 12th December 2013 at 06:08 PM.
12th December 2013, 11:08 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Same here. I received my OTA the first day it was out. All ran fine until today. Some apps disappeared from the home screen and GEL was replaced with the standard launcher. After a reboot, GEL was back but the apps were still missing. I added the apps to the home screen again and rebooted. The apps dissapeared again and so did GEL. Seeing how I don't have anything important on the tab, I just reset it and so far all is good.
12th December 2013, 11:33 PM   |  #4  
Flag Waterloo, ON

12 posts
More
Yes, lost icons. Now only 5 wide. Like the DPI was changed. N7 2013 fully stock, no root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
12th December 2013, 11:49 PM   |  #5  

5 posts
it's not 4.4.2 it's Google Search
Fortunately, I had a fresh backup right before Google Search changed the home screens AND fails to acknowledge "OK, Google" with a beep. The spoken search function still works, but there's no way to know it has engaged unless you're watching the screen.

I suggest you wait a bit with this update.....

Nexus 7 2013, stock, rooted, 4.42 (running well!), TWRP, Xposed, etc.....
13th December 2013, 12:48 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 17

76 posts
Was using GEL when moving from 4.4.1 to 4.4.2 and all was well.

But when i manually upgraded the search to the latest version (per the link below from androidpolice) that introduced some landscape UI changes to fix overlap of searchbar & widgets, almost all my widgets / pages / icons resetted. Not a big fuss and simply a one time re-setup again. OK Google works as it should - no difference though. BUT what i realised was that with a reboot, the 2 icons to the right of the launcher would stay while the 3rd would always go missing. Obviously a bug that needs reporting and fixing. Will search on google support later and report it if it's not been reported before.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/12...-apk-download/

Overall it's all still going good. There's been so many updates lately from Google, it's great to see such a high activity on development, releases and updates in a software.
13th December 2013, 02:59 AM   |  #7  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 14

274 posts
More
hi,

i'm also having the same issue this morning. when I turn on the wifi, my playstore automatically updated all my apps and after the update, my folders, shortcuts, widgets and other home screen was missing. I think it was reset. I'm using the google home (kitkat experience for N7) downloaded from the other site.

I will be following some updates and fix with this thread.

Thanks!
13th December 2013, 03:30 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
I am having similar issues after an update to 4.4.2. But for whatever reason the build still reads as KRT16S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
13th December 2013, 05:14 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 4

18 posts
I just had this happen to me today. Came home, heard my Nexus update a few things automatically, checked my home screen and everything was screwed up, only 5 tiles wide, switched back to default launcher then back to GEL, still a little screwy, but just have to put all my folders back together. Did fix landscape rotation with the search bar in GEL. On 4.4.2.
13th December 2013, 08:24 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 3

38 posts
Thought I was going mad but reading this make me feel better. I only have five wide icons after 4.4.2 looks like the resolution has changed. Wonder if it is set to nexus 5 res?

Edit: Went back to standard launcher for GEL and it is back to normal. 6 icons wide.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Last edited by pkrboo; 13th December 2013 at 08:27 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread