Ask a question

No registration required

VLC on RT .. soon

OP xsoliman3

13th March 2014, 02:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34

104 posts
Interesting article on developing VideoLAN VLC app for Windows 8 (as a modern app)
and the issues getting it to compile / run on RT

http://www.neowin.net/news/interview...dows-8-vlc-app
13th March 2014, 02:43 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34

104 posts
When will the Windows RT version of the app be released?

That's a hard question, and has been a source of confusion, notably because too many people can't make the difference between WinRT and Windows RT. (Note that even Microsoft people are confused about this ) So, to compile VLC for WinRT on x86, we use gcc and MinGW to produce the VLC engine, and we compile the UI (in C#) with Visual Studio. The reason is that VS2013 cannot compile VLC, because of the lack of correct support of C99. To compile VLC for WinRT on ARM, aka Windows RT and Windows Phone, we have only two ways: fix gcc-binutils for Windows on ARM or patch VLC and work-around VS2013 bugs. We're trying both at the moment, but we don't know yet the best way. Once VLC is compiled, the app can be released. I will know more about this before the end of the month.
13th March 2014, 11:45 PM   |  #3  
Flag Wieluń
Thanks Meter: 28

149 posts
More
I keep my fingers crossed for gcc fix - that would allow us to port many apps that we can't compile with Visual Studio.
13th March 2014, 11:47 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,791

5,877 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitor

I keep my fingers crossed for gcc fix - that would allow us to port many apps that we can't compile with Visual Studio.

Yessssss please if they get us a version of GCC that compiles for RT that would be fantastic.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread