Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,609 Members 42,352 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to monitor app network activity?

Tip us?

ericbergan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] How to monitor app network activity?

I apparently have an app on my Note Pro (I'm guessing one of the bundled Samsung apps) that once a minute is doing a hardwired DNS lookup to the google DNS servers. How can I track down which one it is?

From my router, I can see it happen, and see the local port number on the Note Pro, but the port number is changing each time (not surprising since it is a UDP request.) Any Android app I can install that monitors an app's network activity?

Thanks!

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbergan View Post
I apparently have an app on my Note Pro (I'm guessing one of the bundled Samsung apps) that once a minute is doing a hardwired DNS lookup to the google DNS servers. How can I track down which one it is?

From my router, I can see it happen, and see the local port number on the Note Pro, but the port number is changing each time (not surprising since it is a UDP request.) Any Android app I can install that monitors an app's network activity?

Thanks!
You could use a firewall security app that lets you disable an apps access to the Internet and go through 1 by 1

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ericbergan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted View Post
You could use a firewall security app that lets you disable an apps access to the Internet and go through 1 by 1

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Silly me - didn't even think to look for Android firewall apps, just monitors. Looks like there is a selection to choose from, including some non-root ones. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to ericbergan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]