Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,266 Members 40,512 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Extremely frustrating

Tip us?
 
marcmy
Old
(Last edited by marcmy; 26th June 2014 at 09:45 PM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 18
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Extremely frustrating

Little by little, Android is becoming iOS. Starting to get very annoyed with the limitations in recent updates. First we get permalocked if we accepted 4.3 OTA update. Now I found out in 4.4, Google has prevented write access to external storage?! And there's no way around it without root? SIGH. Not not only can I not root my phone, but I can't even write to my SD card without plugging it into my PC? What's next, take away our widgets and ability to change launcher/interface? What happened to the old philosophy of Android? It's OUR devices and we should be able to do what we damn well please with them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marcmy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
b0nz
Old
#2  
b0nz's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: May 2013
I and many others share your frustration!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA
 
lacoursiere18
Old
#3  
lacoursiere18's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 3677
Posts: 2,710
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boca Raton

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmy View Post
Little by little, Android is becoming iOS. Starting to get very annoyed with the limitations in recent updates. First we get permalocked if we accepted 4.3 OTA update. Now I found out in 4.4, Google has prevented write access to external storage?! And there's no way around it without root? SIGH. Not not only can I not root my phone, but I can't even write to my SD card without plugging it into my PC? What's next, take away our widgets and ability to change launcher/interface? What happened to the old philosophy of Android? It's OUR devices and we should be able to do what we damn well please with them.
Knox is next. Google said to be incorporating it in future builds..so yep..not getting any better
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...JpQmtsgc-jIawg
Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
mrraya
Old
#4  
mrraya's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 42
Join Date: Dec 2012
ya and with 4.4 theres this icon of a shield that pops up daily for security updates i dont want them dont want anything else

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

what we need is a way to erase everything off the phone bootloader included and start fresh

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app
 
DaRkL3AD3R
Old
#5  
DaRkL3AD3R's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 225
Posts: 742
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrraya View Post
ya and with 4.4 theres this icon of a shield that pops up daily for security updates i dont want them dont want anything else

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

what we need is a way to erase everything off the phone bootloader included and start fresh

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app
That's not good enough. Sure for devices like the Note 2 it would allow a locked phone to become unlocked at any time. But what about devices that never got unlocked like the Note 3 and other future devices? This doesn't resolve their situations.

Also, yes I agree with you OP. I refuse to "upgrade" from this phone to anything else any time soon considering the way these phones are turning into locked up garbage. I'm so grateful for all the work modders and hackers managed to do with this device which allows me to run something as amazing as Cyanogenmod 11 right now. I saw what the stock 4.3+ ROM's look like, yuck. Imagining being stuck with that "forever" is like a nightmare only I'm awake.

Anyways there really is no better alternative to Android at the moment or foreseeable future. If you want a smartphone with even a hint of customizability then Android's your only option.
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
Cyanogen Mod 11 Nightlies
 
KennyG123
Old
#6  
KennyG123's Avatar
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 25533
Posts: 27,576
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Right behind you!

 
DONATE TO ME
You are not seeing the big picture. If you want phones that you can hack away at and are not secure there are plenty out there. Verizon and AT&T teaming up with Samsung have gone after large military and commercial contracts with these phones. Therefore they have made efforts to make them as secure as possible. You can thank all the hackers in the world pulling email and banking information off your phones for that. And you probably can throw in thanks for the locked bootloader to all those that returned their bricked phones under warranty.
As I said, you have choices, Nexus, HTC, developer's editions....etc. You just need to do a little research before buying.

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ezas
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 293
Posts: 1,091
Join Date: Jan 2011
Agreed for many of the UI changes. But I understand. They have to appeal to Ma and Pa Kettle.

Hopefully at some point they will embrace custom ROMs with a special model like Linkysy did with their L model. But I'm guessing not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Nexus 7 2013 - Mahdi/Elemental
Note 2 - Jett ROM 3.0/ Agni

Retired:
Nexus 7 2012 - Droid Charge - Samsung Fascinate - Galaxy Player 5.0 - Droid Charge
 
WhiteEVO
Old
#8  
WhiteEVO's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 31
Posts: 277
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG123 View Post
You are not seeing the big picture. If you want phones that you can hack away at and are not secure there are plenty out there. Verizon and AT&T teaming up with Samsung have gone after large military and commercial contracts with these phones. Therefore they have made efforts to make them as secure as possible. You can thank all the hackers in the world pulling email and banking information off your phones for that. And you probably can throw in thanks for the locked bootloader to all those that returned their bricked phones under warranty.
As I said, you have choices, Nexus, HTC, developer's editions....etc. You just need to do a little research before buying.
Well said! This is why I'm leaving smasung and will be researching a diff phone for my next purchase/upgrade. LG G3 or HTC...not sure yet...
 
KennyG123
Old
#9  
KennyG123's Avatar
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 25533
Posts: 27,576
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Right behind you!

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEVO View Post
Well said! This is why I'm leaving smasung and will be researching a diff phone for my next purchase/upgrade. LG G3 or HTC...not sure yet...
I went to the HTC M8 and I hated HTC..it is a freaking fast phone!!! Unlocking and rooting was super easy! Won't have to worry about Knox until they upgrade it to L.

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here
 
lacoursiere18
Old
#10  
lacoursiere18's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 3677
Posts: 2,710
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boca Raton

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG123 View Post
I went to the HTC M8 and I hated HTC..it is a freaking fast phone!!! Unlocking and rooting was super easy! Won't have to worry about Knox until they upgrade it to L.
Loved the look of that phone and I am not a HTC fan, but that phone looked good.. Contract is not up until next year and I think a move to a different carrier and phone manufacturer is in my future.. Just not sure what yet

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes