Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

md5 guide

OP puritan007

30th June 2014, 03:59 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Colfax
Thanks Meter: 99

319 posts
Donate to Me
More
I recently had someone ask me how to, and why to check an MD5, so I thought I would give them this lovely guide. *this is my first guide attempt, but I hope to make more. if you know WAY more about this issue than I do that is OK, feel free to correct me in a polite manner, I do not know everything after all*

MD5 is a checksum that verifies the integrity of a zip or rar or .7zip file. When you make the .zip, .rar, or .7zip file, you make a MD5 number off of that file, or a HASH file, hash code, MD5 code, whatever you want to name it. Anyway, it uses an algorithm to give you this numerical/alphabetical code which you can then compare to your file.

WHY? Well you are transferring this file from device to device, or through the pc, through the internet, through a server, and things can get lost or stolen. Antiviruses can steal pieces, servers, or data loss through the internet can lose pieces, yet the file SEEMS the right size, and can SEEM like it is ok, and in fact, you flash it to your phone and things do not work.

This is a reason I like torrents. They make, and check an MD5 for you, and remove some of the risk of a bad download, however that is for a different guide.

In this guide I use the free, and easy MD5 checker you can get from the play store. I am crazy so I check my md5 on my pc, then again after the transfer to the phone. You may just check it once on the phone, to save time.

Download the file to your phone. Copy the MD5 alpha/numeric. for the guide I had transfered the file from my computer, so I made a .txt file to save the md5 in. The screen shots pretty much speak for themselves... Keep in mind that I was using a beta rom you will have your rom and your rom names. I used root explorer, rb text editor, and MD5checker. Many thanks to those who provided these tools, and this rom I was using in the guide.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puritan007 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread